NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I can't believe Xexx agreed to do the interview!

Lol i havent scalped in about a year - i left the game before prices went and skyrocketed. Thinking of all those cards i only sold $200 over cost and people were super fuckin angry over it!

The miner near me has been getting the A100s or whatever now and ignoring the normal cards just because they use less energy.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
1654151766077.png

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Lol i havent scalped in about a year - i left the game before prices went and skyrocketed. Thinking of all those cards i only sold $200 over cost and people were super fuckin angry over it!

The miner near me has been getting the A100s or whatever now and ignoring the normal cards just because they use less energy.
In other news, have you completed any cool builds lately?

Ikkan

Molten Core Raider
I'm hoping the 4000 series launch sometime this year - I skipped on the 3000 series because I have a 2070 super, but the PC Master Race man inside of me always felt a little wrong to not have the 3090.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
PC Gamer: Graphics card shipments have actually declined in 2022.

The combination of decreasing demand and increased supply means the days of ridiculous GPU price scalping are behind us.

View attachment 415222
The worst of the GPU shortages are behind us(opens in new tab). For now, at least! In a volatile global environment, it's hard to predict the future.
Let me make a bold prediction: The release of the next generation of GPUs will kickstart the GPU scalping economy all over again. Unless NVIDIA/AMD and all their suppliers are dramatically scaling up production it's going to be a cyclical thing. They are scaling up, of course, but at some level it's probably economically unsound to meet demand. Since this is FoH, it's like provisioning enough server capacity and making your software scalable enough to satisfy a highly anticipated MMO release. Sure it's nice to have a smooth launch but if your demand is cut in half a week after release maybe it's OK that performance is shit for that first week.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I can see the bulk of the shortages being behind us. Just thinking of this site, I would say an overwhelmingly majority of users here completely skipped the 2000 series, I would expect that same to happen with the 4000 series. The jump from the 1000 series to the 3000 series was enormous. Even if the 4000 series would give that kind of jump it's doesn't seem likely for most here that just got the 3000 series to hop on board the 4000 series.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Yeah and besides that, most monitors available can only give you so much and the highest end cards today are already rendering a lot of todays monitor tech obsolete. Not really sure what the point of a 4090 is without a reasonably priced 4k, 144hz, 38"+ HDR 10 monitor. My 6800xt pushes my 1440p 38" 144HZ monitor to the brink. I guess the only benefit of the new card would be future proofing for the inevitable upgrade to monitor tech? I run all games today maxed out with 100fps typically so why upgrade?

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Let me make a bold prediction: The release of the next generation of GPUs will kickstart the GPU scalping economy all over again. Unless NVIDIA/AMD and all their suppliers are dramatically scaling up production it's going to be a cyclical thing. They are scaling up, of course, but at some level it's probably economically unsound to meet demand. Since this is FoH, it's like provisioning enough server capacity and making your software scalable enough to satisfy a highly anticipated MMO release. Sure it's nice to have a smooth launch but if your demand is cut in half a week after release maybe it's OK that performance is shit for that first week.

I think you'll see a lot less scalping this time around. I'm sure it will happen right at launch, but it won't last as long. People being back at work and inflation decreasing disposable income will make a big difference.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
The res of my monitor is 5120x1440, and my 3080ti is giving me a solid 120+FPS in most games.

But I want...

giphy.gif

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Makes sense. Everyone’s “free” money is spent, prices on basic stuff you need to survive has gone way up. New cards around the corner for those that do have money.
I think you'll see a lot less scalping this time around. I'm sure it will happen right at launch, but it won't last as long. People being back at work and inflation decreasing disposable income will make a big difference.
Also way less miners.

There's a reason Nvidia is being sued by investors over hiding how much of that peak GPU demand was being driven by miners.

It was a fucking lot.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Also way less miners.

There's a reason Nvidia is being sued by investors over hiding how much of that peak GPU demand was being driven by miners.

It was a fucking lot.
Why is Nvidia liable for what purpose end users were buying product for?

Last edited:

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I can see the bulk of the shortages being behind us. Just thinking of this site, I would say an overwhelmingly majority of users here completely skipped the 2000 series, I would expect that same to happen with the 4000 series. The jump from the 1000 series to the 3000 series was enormous. Even if the 4000 series would give that kind of jump it's doesn't seem likely for most here that just got the 3000 series to hop on board the 4000 series.
I can only hope.

I bought an RTX 2070 back in 2019 for $300 cause nobody wanted the damn things.

Then in 2020/2021 I sent it for an RMA and they sent me a 2080 TI.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I skipped the 2k and 3k series, but I'm going to need to upgrade from the 1080ti i got used soon so i can play EverQuest and factorio.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I skipped the 2k and 3k series, but I'm going to need to upgrade from the 1080ti i got used soon so i can play EverQuest and factorio.

My 3080ti has been killing it while I Slay the Spire as of late. Solid 244 FPS!

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
In other news, have you completed any cool builds lately?

I havent beyond the Torrent build im using now. I want to build something in the Azza Regis and the Hyte Y60 but i was waiting to see if AMD or Nvidia would put out some dates of releases. I dont have any reason to build anything currently unless i do another AMD build with the 5800X3D and 6950XT. The market is a bit stalled due to new stuff around the corner, i plan to atleast do a Ryzen build by end of year, tho that may change some by time things are set in stone.

I did get the Alienware OLED buuuuut my eyes hate going from 48 to 34, id say i wish it was 38inch but i feel its the vertical height bothering me.

• 1Like