NVidia GeForce RTX 40x0 cards - x2 the power consumption, x2 the performance

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Picked up one of the MSI water cooled 4090 and man I love this thing. Luckily I had a case that could fit both cpu and gpu radiators. Only thing is I feel like you can get a little more out of it but I haven't found a reason to overclock it since it's running everything at max settings at 4k. Inside of the case is nice and cool now.

Post pics.

Otto

My Gigabyte Gaming OC is massive. Was kind of a pain to install the anti-sag bracket on my motherboard.

20230115_085812.jpg

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Picked up one of the MSI water cooled 4090 and man I love this thing. Luckily I had a case that could fit both cpu and gpu radiators. Only thing is I feel like you can get a little more out of it but I haven't found a reason to overclock it since it's running everything at max settings at 4k. Inside of the case is nice and cool now.

Yeah I like this a lot too, room is a lot quieter and cooler now, lol.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Not sure if there's a better thread for this - but you all seem to watch the internet retail spaces necessary to find this: I am looking to buy a pre-built gaming PC. My goal is to run Baldur's Gate 3 (in August) and the new Harry Potter game on high settings. I imagine I don't need a 4090 to do so, so a 3080ti or whatever would be great. Hoping to spend under 2k (preferably $1100-1500), and definitely don't plan to run on 4k. If anyone sees a hot deal or something that jumps out to them in this range please tag me here so I can jump on it.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Not sure if there's a better thread for this - but you all seem to watch the internet retail spaces necessary to find this: I am looking to buy a pre-built gaming PC. My goal is to run Baldur's Gate 3 (in August) and the new Harry Potter game on high settings. I imagine I don't need a 4090 to do so, so a 3080ti or whatever would be great. Hoping to spend under 2k (preferably $1100-1500), and definitely don't plan to run on 4k. If anyone sees a hot deal or something that jumps out to them in this range please tag me here so I can jump on it.
Under 2k you’re probably going to end up with a 3070 or maybe a 3080 machine. 3080 ti card by itself is $1200+

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
And at that point better to get either a 4070 Ti for cheaper or a 4080 for the same price.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

You should head on over to Desktop Computers as well.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I’m not married to a specific card so long as it plays the two games at high settings.

Really just depends on your resolution. If you are at 1440p, a 2070 Super would cut it easily (That's what I have at 2k) and can run anything in ultra still min of 60 FPS. If you are 1080p you could even get by with something lower. At that point like Dick Trickle said you would look at the economics of it all and how long it will last or if you upgrade to 4k down the road. May want to look at a 4070 at that point.

3060 should be fine for 2k.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob

setup an alert on reddit (not sure how to do that) to monitor r/buildapcsales for Prebuilt tag, i see 3080 prebuilds for $1300-1500 and 4070ti/4080 prebuilds for $1800-2100 on there from skytechgaming, nzxt, something-power-something all the time. you can read the thread people post to see what general consensus is on the builder, parts they use, build quality, etc.

the other option is to buy all the parts yourself and find a local PC builder, there are always a ton in every city, who will assemble your kit for $100-250 and do all the cable routing, testing, install, etc. Thats what I did, just a kid in college working at a local PC repair shop dropped off all my parts (including a 3080ti i got cheap from a friend) and 4 days later and $150 it was a clean PC with w11 installed.

• 1Like

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
I’m not married to a specific card so long as it plays the two games at high settings.
your build specs will depend on the monitor and gameplay resolution you plan to use.
hop on over to Desktop Computers and you'll find lots of similar recent requests, and some more specific build support

I think most of us would recommend a custom build rather than pre-built, just because pre-builts often come up short when it comes to cases, memory, cooling, storage, and other non-sexy components etc.

depending on where you live, you should be able to find a local builder that can help you out.
If pre-built is the only way, there are still some decent options.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
your build specs will depend on the monitor and gameplay resolution you plan to use.
hop on over to Desktop Computers and you'll find lots of similar recent requests, and some more specific build support

I think most of us would recommend a custom build rather than pre-built, just because pre-builts often come up short when it comes to cases, memory, cooling, storage, and other non-sexy components etc.

depending on where you live, you should be able to find a local builder that can help you out.
If pre-built is the only way, there are still some decent options.
I wouldn't say it's the only way, just that I am not looking to sink a ton of personal time into getting this done, and don't know of anyone local offhand.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
This video is a fucking joke. DLSS 3.0 which is only supported on 4k series cards, in supposedly a side by side comparison of the same model with DLSS 3.0 on (Right) or off (Left). Tell me when you would see a 4k series card go Sub 40 FPS in Cyberpunk in Ultra 4k RT on DLSS off. All benches show 100+ FPS.

Please tell me people do not fall for this bullshit.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
This video is a fucking joke. DLSS 3.0 which is only supported on 4k series cards, in supposedly a side by side comparison of the same model with DLSS 3.0 on (Right) or off (Left). Tell me when you would see a 4k series card go Sub 40 FPS in Cyberpunk in Ultra 4k RT on DLSS off. All benches show 100+ FPS.

If people didn't fall for it, they wouldn't promote it. Since they aren't specific. it's probably a 4070ti vs a 4090. Here's a vid that shows that ya, it can dip below 40FPS.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm

I get what you're saying, but its going to have much more impact on the upcoming 4050 and 4060. They've just been filed with the EEC, so .. "soon".

I'm just annoyed that they do software features on certain series of cards, even though the 30x0 series could handle DLSS 3.0 just fine. Nvidia has always been greedy, but to me, this stuff is getting more and more common as each generation of card comes out. Its sad.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Here are the PC specs for Hogwarts at various levels, should help you look for what you need:
Hogwarts Legacy

Their "High" spec is for 1080p, doesn't require much at all.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I still can't believe AMD and Nvidia don't have midrange cards out yet.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
any rough estimates on 4080ti release? Q3-Q4 this year? I think it might be good fit for my new rig, since 4090 is overkill and 4080 is so shit for its price/perf. I presume they're gonna pump put the pointless 4090ti sometime in the first half of the year and then 4080ti

• 1GreNeg

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler

I can 100% confirm the 4070 Ti goes under 40 FPS in Ultra 4k RT without DLSS. I don't think it's getting a 100 FPS improvement from DLSS 3.0, though, so I do wonder if they're comparing two cards like Brahma said. If it's the same card it could definitely be a cherry picking situation.

• 1Like