Octopath Traveler

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Is this really only playable on Switch? Like this is the type of game that got me into gaming, and which I haven't seen in YEARS, yet I am not going to buy a Switch just to play. I would assume at some point one will be able to play with a ROM?

I feel the same. There have been a lot of these types of games for stupid systems...switch, DSXL, etc. Annoys me.

Siliconemelons

It's because the game companies do not think "games like this" deserve a "console" release. And its dumb thought process. So at least it's a "console" lol

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The demo is like giving your woman just the tip, then rolling over and going to sleep.

You begin, thinking of all the good times you had with it when you were younger and how it’s going to be awesome this time too, then realize how much time you’ve wasted in your life on it, remember how god damn boring it really is and decide taking a nap is a better use of your time?

• 1Ice Burn
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
F'n awesome. Only got to a party size of 3 during the demo, but man is it cool shit. Can't wait for full release next month.

Bought switch for the games that -will- be coming out and BoTW, and this is one of the ones I've been waiting for. Glad it releases a solid bit of time before DQ11 hah.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Games I have for the Switch are Zelda and Xenoblades 2. This will be my third, and the Fire Emblem (not the warriors thing) will be my 4th. Not really that many games I want on it, but at least they are large and quite good. Only exclusives to make me buy a console are rpgs.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Game has my interest, but need at least another 10 exclusive switch games that interest me before I pick one up

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

I started the demo, kids chose the hunter chick - I hope only that area's characters talk like that in the odd mix of middle English etc. its very off putting when they do the flamboyent style extended word, and then keep the next word that in modern is separated that is what the extension is...

(what they do) What do you sayith? = (what it would be now) What do you say? = (how it was)You sayith? -- its an odd mix, but they only did that a few times with the repetitiveness

but other than that it seems cool- I haven't left the village lol - but the visual is nice, a little dark but I am in a small village in the middle of deep woods - so we will see as things move.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I started the demo, kids chose the hunter chick - I hope only that area's characters talk like that in the odd mix of middle English etc. its very off putting when they do the flamboyent style extended word, and then keep the next word that in modern is separated that is what the extension is...

(what they do) What do you sayith? = (what it would be now) What do you say? = (how it was)You sayith? -- its an odd mix, but they only did that a few times with the repetitiveness

but other than that it seems cool- I haven't left the village lol - but the visual is nice, a little dark but I am in a small village in the middle of deep woods - so we will see as things move.

All characters have their own style in terms of behaviour and how they talk. Not tried the hunter, but nobody I've tried talk like that. That said, how old are your kids? The story of the dancer has adult language, murder, hinted forced prostitution and physical abuse in the first 20 minutes. Not a "happy" game.

Siliconemelons

All characters have their own style in terms of behaviour and how they talk. Not tried the hunter, but nobody I've tried talk like that. That said, how old are your kids? The story of the dancer has adult language, murder, hinted forced prostitution and physical abuse in the first 20 minutes. Not a "happy" game.

Yeah I am not far, its fairly standard hunter has master leave on a hunt and not return...so...dun dun dun...and you are left to protect the village...do you stay or go off in seach?!

they are 5 and 7 - and with the "middle English" text they are not reading it fast enough to follow so I am interpreting anything lol - I am not far at all, not really planning on playing it "with them" I think it is a T? game

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I really want to love Octopath Traveler, but the messy nature of its story presentation is ultimately an enormous weakness. That stands out, but this game is also truly one of the most intriguing evolutions of the 'golden age' RPG formula out of Japan, managing to both build on and pay homage to the classics. I don’t particularly mind that Octopath Traveler is a collection of eight separate stories, but the lack of any sort of cohesion even among the party members bogs it down and makes the stories that are there ring slightly hollow. Octopath Traveler is an excellent game, but the elasticity of its structure proves to be the one unassailable hurdle between it and becoming a classic in its own right.

God speed gentlemen.