Octopath Traveler

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm getting more of a I Am Setsuna vibe from it than, say, Bravely Default.

Still somewhat tempted to buy a Switch now and play it though, just to lock in the hardware that will forever have a flaw that allows it to be hacked.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Yeah the stories being their own thing and not coming together in the end is a bit of a bummer. But a lot of traditional stories end up falling flat in the end, it's hard to get a great JRPG story these days. It's at 85 on Metacritic, can't be all that awful as I greatly enjoyed XC2 last year and that was 83? I think.

Game has been getting good marks for combat and tougher boss battles, I don't mind grinding so that's fine for me. Probably play this in handheld while watching some TV or whatnot.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
The first demo, I did the dancer. Liked that one. Then for the preview demo, I tried the healer and then switched to the hunter because I didn't like the whole timid thing with the healer. Hunter is kind of the class I want to play with the capture\summon thing, but I could not stand how the hunters talked. It's like ye olde English turned to 11.

For the launch version I switched to the thief. Like him so far. Bit more toned down.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Whomever did the RPGsite review didn't get past the character collection part of the game, unless I missed something in the review. They also scored the game the lowest, tied with exactly one other rag compared to over a dozen that went for B+ or better.

We'll see, but being an outlier doesn't exactly lend credibility. Granted, being a review source period doesn't exactly lend credibility. I'll wait till my fellow fohers give it a shot tomorrow (myself included) before drawing any conclusions~

Siliconemelons

, but I could not stand how the hunters talked. It's like ye olde English turned to 11

Yeah I mentioned this, it's middle English, old English is OG beowulf that is more German than "English" lol

But it's not just that they used the middle English, but they mixed it with modern in places that duplicate words incase the player didn't bother to infer or know the middle English vernacular

Like "dothe ye you? Enjoy thou your dinner?" Not verbatim but it happend in the demo in the first 10 min of the hunter at least 3 times that I noticed

Kind of sad to see it not "come together" story wise at the end... but then we'll... its 8 different stories so that's a plus?

I would rather see 8 different tales that are what they are vs 8 different tales that just Converge with a "oh look we all ended up here on Mount happenstance to kill big bag weallhate'm, lets team up!"

Ff6 does ensemble very well for the time, and I think we all wanted a similar vibe but expanded to were all characters would have the "depth" of story of Terra all in all.

So the 8 paths would not just Converge at "a point" but many times during the story, and sometimes only at a passing etc... square of old could have done it... honestly I am happy we got what we got out of this product and I hope it spurs more.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
They are charging 59.99 for this? Lol I thought it was around 29.99.

Wow.

If this was cross platform it would be blasted at that price point. But throw it on switch I guess you not only sell this as a full priced AAA title, review scores get skewed regardless of repetitive story across all 8 classes which is why I thought people played these anyway. JRPG combat has always been JRPG combat. What am I missing?

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
They are charging 59.99 for this? Lol I thought it was around 29.99.

Wow.

If this was cross platform it would be blasted at that price point. But throw it on switch I guess you not only sell this as a full priced AAA title, review scores get skewed regardless of repetitive story across all 8 classes which is why I thought people played these anyway. JRPG combat has always been JRPG combat. What am I missing?

If I get 30-50 hours of good JRPG with 8 decent stories, even if there is no overarching story, I'll be happy. But I love turn based JRPGs, so I am biased.

You're not missing anything though, and you are right. If this was multi platform, especially PC, it would probably be $20 cheaper. However, to me, the price point doesn't shock me at all considering the average prices on the Switch. All their "premium" titles are still full price. Zelda, Mario, Rabbids, Xenoblade 2 and now this. Never seen them on sale on their store either.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Played a few hours and this is pretty great. Started as the thief guy and he seems pretty OP heh; can steal HP and SP(basically mana in other games). Combat feels fun, can see this really opening up alot when I recruit more guys and unlock subjobs. Game looks nice on the Switch screen, will play more tommorrow on my TV.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Been watching on twitch, good game but they should have maybe retweaked some steal percentages as it's painful to watch streamers go for 3% attempts and have to RNG it while resetting reputation every 5 tries.

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
Steal is pretty OP early on and can net you some good weapons and lots of easy early money. There's also another Path Action from another Traveler that when used on the proper town NPC will increase steal chance for the Thief in that town.

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
OLBERIC IS A FUCKING G.

This is a straight up ripoff of Gladiator with Russell Crowe but damn its dope!

I'm 1 hour in, picked Olby as my main. Just killed the first boss and loving this shit.

Why the fuck do they get away with straight up copying the dragonball z power ups.

Red kaioken, ssj yellow, ssj God blue. I mean I know it's a coincidence just funny.

Anyway, game is awesome I picked the 3 turn defense buff ability and feel I made a good choice.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
It does amuse me the stark difference between some of the stories. Cleric girl is all holy quest time and I love my sister, scholar is all "I'M TOO DESU SMART-U FOR WOMEN LOOK HOW QUIRKY I AM".

Meanwhile Primrose has to suck old man dick on the daily, and Olberic fucking slays fools that look at him cross-eyed.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Haven't had a ton of time with it, but just finished up my 8th person's starting quest. Olberic and Therion are by far my favorite characters, with Tressa being the most "waddafug?" kind of addition. And I am a hardcore crafter/getherer asshole at heart, so it should have been completely in the bag... But tressa just isn't my favorite.

Solid stuff, and I thoroughly like everything so far. Seems worth the coin drop, thus far.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Olbrec's power of, "you fucking wot mate?" Is awesome.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user