Office and gaming chairs

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Went with the Steelcase Leap after a lot of research. Was advised not to get an Aeron without testing it.

View attachment 359833

Intentionally got it without the factory headrest, because there's a better headrest hack available if you want to add one. Concerned about manufacturing defects with the Leap which I heard are pretty common. It's also rated the noisiest chair, good amount of creaking and so lithium-lubricant of joints recommended. Other concerns with the Leap are the foam seat, which holds a lot of heat. I didn't get leather because I like the option to wear shorts and skin catching on leather is no good. Leather would have displaced heat and solved one potential problem with the Leap.

Was very close to an Embody in the end, but the armrests potentially clashing with the desk put me off for now. If the Leap is a huge failure I'll get an Embody out here.

If the Embody had the Leap armrests, it'd have edged it out.
Embody is amazing. I love mine.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

If you could put Leap armrests on the Embody it would have been a done deal

I'm sticking it out with this Leap for now-- but will contact them tomorrow about changing to leather.

This fabric is like flypaper. The fabric called "Cogent" is the reason I got flypaper was that I was told. The Cogent series fabric is particularly designed to be moisture and heat sink resistant.

Its recommended for the most heat ventilation... and yes its true, it holds 0 moisture for fabric. its literally like sandpaper or flypaper, its dry as fuck. "Works" as advertised to be the most heat resistant fabric, but god damn it fucking tugs on you and freeze you wherever you touch it.

I honestly didn't know you could wrap a chair in flypaper. I fucking hate leather, I never thought I'd be begging for leather, and now tomorrow I will be.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Related question. Anyone have suggestions on chair mats? I moved and my home office area is hardwood floor now and I don't want to fuck it up. I've already made some marks with my chair that I can clean up, but definitely don't want to damage the wood.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I see those Vitrazza commercials all the time. The idea seems really dumb to me but it's got to be better than the plastic mats at least.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I see those Vitrazza commercials all the time. The idea seems really dumb to me but it's got to be better than the plastic mats at least.

I feel those are horrifically overpriced. And I honestly would feel kinda douchey buying one.

Oldbased

> Than U
I am still loving my Secret Labs over a year later, still looks new. They have some big release event on the 12th though, pretty sure it is the 2021 or 2022 chairs.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Called Steelcase. They offered a straight return, they don't do swaps or upgrades.

They said the "Era" fabric was smoother, and to travel to a showroom to check it out.

So I made the trek to a retailer tonight-- and I got to sit in a Gesture with headrest and a Leap with headrest for the first time. Both leather.

Few findings:

- For taller people, the Leap headrest isn't as bad as reviews say. The Gesture headrest felt a lot more appropriate though, and jived with the reviews.

- Armrests on the Gesture were similar texture to Leap, despite what reviewers say, but the softness of the Leap armrests are noticeable on a finger dig test. You can dig into the Leap armrests much more. You can't really dig your finger into the Gesture armrest much. Not sure why they don't just use the same padding.

- No major difference in Gesture width of armrests from Leap, they might come in a little closer. Was hard to notice any big difference. I guess the Gesture goes out and inside tight maybe slightly further, he mentioned the Gesture can tuck inside toward your chest/body more. Seemed true. But unconvinced the Leap can't do the exact same positions.

- Upper back of the Gesture doesn't have a flex mechanism like the Leap, this was a point of interest. For taller people the Leap might flex a little too much. It also can't fully freeze the back. The Leap always has a little play when you sit back. If you want to fully freeze the back seat upright, that's the Gesture.

- Gesture does not have a lillypad seat like the Leap. The salesperson confirmed that, but I could already tell by the sit testing. This wasn't a strike against the Gesture at all, it felt very comfortable. And Gesture is just slightly softer, but sales said it's the same specs, just different force distribution giving people a different perception. Despite no lillypad, bloodflow to legs seemed fine in the Gesture. Need more seat time next week.

Going back after the weekend for additional sit testing when I have more time. Leaning hard on the Gesture. The goal was to get a chair that's very good about being intensively up on the keyboard, and the Gesture really felt like it was going to keep me on the keys more. I liked that I can freeze the back in place, also seemed like less friction on my clothing overall. The Gesture also felt more naturally upright. Again, the flexible back of the Leap is probably the cause for that.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

It's back in the mix for me because I want the seat.

This guy came up with a hack for the armrests not being able to retract.

1626029962974.png

Still going to sit test the Gesture for a few hours, but Embody moved back to top of list even with the garbage armrests. Guy said the armrest hack is comfortable if you need to do it.

I don't see what was so hard about adding 4D adjustable armrests to the Embody for 1600, but hey can't have it all.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
It's back in the mix for me because I want the seat.

This guy came up with a hack for the armrests not being able to retract.

View attachment 361932

Still going to sit test the Gesture for a few hours, but Embody moved back to top of list even with the garbage armrests. Guy said the armrest hack is comfortable if you need to do it.

I don't see what was so hard about adding 4D adjustable armrests to the Embody for 1600, but hey can't have it all.
Retractable? As in they are unable to fully move out of the way? You can lower them so they don't bump your table.

Honestly I think I've had this chair 4 years now and it's just the best.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Leap is amazing ergonomics. Like Chanur had mentioned, the back support is great. The lumbar and everything is very amazing at fixing spinal alignment and warding off a future herniated disc. I even adjusted to the Cogent fabric after a few days the friction is workable. If I need to snap my back into place, the Leap allows me to do it, which no other chair has done for me.

But it puts me leaning back a little more than the Gesture in my upper back, and even in the locked position it has play in the recline function. I decidedly didn't like that once I sat in a Gesture I felt more upright which was a goal for me. Going to sit test the Gesture for an hour this week and make sure it's still got Leap competitive ergonomics.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Leap and Gesture extended sit testing was officially sidelined.

Reason:

Pursuing Haworth Fern and Nightingale CXO and Embody sit testing as a priority at this time.

Located some international supplier near my city. All efforts are being put toward getting my hands on these 3 chairs at this time. Seat comfort for extended sitting and breathability of legs is something I am interested in right now, and these 3 are all rated over the Leap and Aeron in that aspect.

Still interested in the Gesture.

But very interested in getting my ass in a CXO and Fern as soon as possible at the show room.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Got in the Nightingale CXO. Great seat, 3-4 inches of memory foam compared to the Leap's less than 2 inches. And its exactly like the reviews say. It's built like a tank and it's built for duration sitting.

But the headrest isn't adjustable enough and the headrest is always bumped on you in the upright position, in a bad place, and it's quite firm.

A no-headrest CXO is a possibility, but the Gesture just moved up ahead of the CXO.

Part 2:

Went to a Herman Miller retail location. It was a courthouse type of building, I started to get the impression I wasn't welcome there. It didn't have a showroom vibe as I approached in my vehicle. Then I see surveillance cameras on the white double doors, and a sign that says "DOORBELL, WAIT FOR ANSWER". No answer.

I'm like what is this place, fucking Fort Knox??

I dial the line, no answer. I find another number for a person called "Norbert" written in a footnote below the sign. He tells me it's appointment only, and that you need to know the secret handshake. He gives me a number for a woman, and tells me maybe I can get an appointment. It was like a side quest in a video game. Bizarre.

Herman Miller is stuffy, although I'm not surprised.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Herman Miller is impossible to deal with outside of the internet.

I'm working on an Embody build on the internet, Logitech X, G or standard Embody. Still going over which seating I'd prefer and then going to place the order. This is the only way for me to get to sit test one, by ordering it.

Also slated is a Mirra 2 (under serious consideration next to the Embody), last option is an Aeron C.

In the meantime while I continue to work on the Herman Miller order, I ordered an HON Ignition 2.0 which arrives Saturday to hold me over for 6-8 weeks.

An Embody build is around 6-8 weeks of waiting and I couldn't wait.

I needed to get a temp chair while I work on the final solution. The HON Ignition 2.0 can't come fast enough! I fucking need a task chair so bad right now.

• 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Never thought of something like this but these are very highly rated.

I use those on all my office chairs, and the chairs in my game room. (all hardwood floors here) and they work perfectly to protect the floor, plus the smoothest rolling experience I've ever had in a chair.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I use those on all my office chairs, and the chairs in my game room. (all hardwood floors here) and they work perfectly to protect the floor, plus the smoothest rolling experience I've ever had in a chair.

I already bought them and installed them. Chair almost glides too well. But it's nice on the floors!

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I already bought them and installed them. Chair almost glides too well. But it's nice on the floors!

Yeah, Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus and I have a friend who's really short, she comes over for game night and struggles because the chair will just start gracefully rolling away from the game table and her feet aren't on the floor to stop it. heh

• 1Worf

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Amazon promised Prime Saturday. I subbed Prime to get Prime, instead got stuck with a Sunday delivery date.

"Guaranteed by" btw. Fucking faggots.

• 1Truth!