Office and gaming chairs

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I am 3 Bills the padding has not been an issue for me as of yet. Chair is like 8 months old.

Last edited:

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
That said, the Gesture is universally accepted as being more padded than the Leap.

My experience is mostly all Leap. The reason I applied the Leap feedback to the Gesture is because Steelcase corporate insists there is no difference. Reddit says otherwise and argues that simply can't be true.

I've sit-tested a Gesture after I sent the Leap back and was impressed.

I sent a Leap back, not a Gesture.

For Kirun, I'd say skip the Leap for absolute sure-- in light of Oblio's feedback. Gesture all the way.

Last edited:

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm honestly still not that happy with Embody, I kind of wish I had returned it and just kept my Titan. I just really don't like the front of the chair

Not happy about trying one either.

I heard the tailbone area has a big gap and material problem, not to mention the shitty armrests. People on reddit are reupholstering their Embody with custom Amazon foam sheets in these gap areas, which is crazy to me-- given it's an 1,800 dollar chair. No one should have to do anything to it, and it should have perfect engineering without any engineering defects.

Now that Logitech has a licensing deal with them I was hoping they could continue to tweak the design. But not holding my breath.

If the Embody flops there is still Haworth Fern's offering.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
i just use an area rug

had those hard plastic shits a few years back, feels horrible
What I really want to get is one of the ones that are supposed to be like glass, but I have fears of it shattering into a million pieces

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
1637918865527.png

Quoted mid-February for a delivery date. It could be cancelled in the meantime anytime before then, as I don't think I'll make it that far-- but we'll see.

You can get a Logitech Embody much faster for 1,200ish but I went with a new-gen original updated design Embody because the reviews favor it.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So after some discussion with friends and family, there is no way I would make a 8-9 week lead time.

I'm calling Herman Miller tomorrow. If they can't get me a better time, I am ordering a Steelcase Gesture.

A 3 month lead time as a self-distributed brand is ridiculous.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
1639195762649.png

Better lead time than Herman can get. Since it's risk free on both, I decided to just float the cash while I test both the Gesture and Embody out in the coming months.

Tough thing is I would need to make a decision on the Gesture within 14 days of owning it, which Dec 28th is still over a solid 5-6 weeks from the Embody arriving.

But my goal is to keep the Gesture hopefully and then return the Embody in February unless it's really better.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
My god damn Secret Lab Titan I got in 2019 had the armrest break off this morning.

It's designed in such a way that it can't be reasonably disassembled and refitted back to the base of it. It was easy to get a warranty ticket in though so we will see what happens.

1639569673886.png

• 1Pathetic
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Well Secret Lab made it easy to get a replacement. Customer service was top notch, took like 5 minutes of chatting. 4 year warranty is good.

• 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Not sure if this product even exists...

Wondering if someone makes a spacer/lift for casters. I would prefer another inch or two height on my chair.

Anyone know of anything like this and what they are called?

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Update on the Gesture. It blew a Dec 30th ship date, and so I had to track somebody down.

It turns out they got an insane volume of orders for the Gesture during the holiday sale. I was offered 50 dollars compensation and they can fill the order around January 14th but nothing solid. I took the 50 bucks and kept the order.

This pushes the Gesture closer to the arrival of the Embody, which is mid-February. This doesn't actually do anything for me I realized. Essentially I have to make a firm decision on the Gesture whether to keep it or not, without being able to test the Embody. The only way I wouldn't end up with 2 chairs is if the Embody absolutely shits on the Gesture-- at that point I'd have no choice but to keep the Embody when it arrives nearly a month later.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Anyone here use a standing desk?

I am really considering getting one just to break things up and for supposed health benefits.

In theory they sound great, just curious how they are in practice? For those that have one, do you find yourself using it all the time or does it just stay at seated height and was a waste of money?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone here use a standing desk?

I am really considering getting one just to break things up and for supposed health benefits.

In theory they sound great, just curious how they are in practice? For those that have one, do you find yourself using it all the time or does it just stay at seated height and was a waste of money?
I have one at the office and used to use it more, but it tapers off. Unless you're one of those people that walks around all day and the sitting down and standing up is annoying, I found I prefer to just sit while working and I will get up and take laps of the office when needed.

For managers and people who basically are walking around a lot at work, the standing desk is good since you can just walk up to and walk away, but in my work mode (often 5-6 hours at the desk with no interruptions) I don't stand much.

I'd say try it and see how it grabs you, if it doesn't, there's always people looking for them used. My wife had a vari-desk thing that she sold on craigslist for like 10% off what we bought it for after she had it like 2 years.

• 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I have one at the office and used to use it more, but it tapers off. Unless you're one of those people that walks around all day and the sitting down and standing up is annoying, I found I prefer to just sit while working and I will get up and take laps of the office when needed.

For managers and people who basically are walking around a lot at work, the standing desk is good since you can just walk up to and walk away, but in my work mode (often 5-6 hours at the desk with no interruptions) I don't stand much.

I'd say try it and see how it grabs you, if it doesn't, there's always people looking for them used. My wife had a vari-desk thing that she sold on craigslist for like 10% off what we bought it for after she had it like 2 years.
My biggest issue with the standing desk in my monitor setup. After tweaking and tweaking some more I have finally landed on what I find to be the most productive setup for my workflow. Having this much monitor real estate in this configuration has allowed me to go nearly paperless (which is great for file storage). Yeah, yeah cable management blah blah, this is all temporary as I have known for some time my Basement/Office remodel was coming at some point (FUCK COVID Delays!)

1641323304896.png

That is a 32" Samsung G7 in the middle and three 27" ASUS MG278Q WQHDs. I am 6'3" and to achieve the proper height on middle and top monitor I had to use a static wall mount for the top monitor. I have looked for desk mounts that would grant me this set up, but the only one I have found would lower the middle and top monitors drastically.

1641324081023.png

The mount plate on the back of the top monitor is ~3' off the desk. The mount picture above is ~31" at the top, so I would end up always crooking my neck down to use my primary middle screen which would be a deal killer, truth is I wish my middle screen was 1-2" higher right now. I guess I could just switch out the top monitor mount for an arm mount that moves up and down and just deal with that one manually every time I want to change the desk from stand to sit or sit to stand, but I would like to avoid little things like that which could (over time) be enough to just not bother.

Does anyone have an easy solution I may have overlooked? What I basically need a desk mount that can hold all this weight and give me the needed height. The mount would look like the one picture above it would just need a 3'6" center pole to accomplish what I want.

I considered picking up a G9 to replace my three ASUS, but I would lose a lot of monitor real estate.

Last edited:

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
My biggest issue with the standing desk in my monitor setup. After tweaking and tweaking some more I have finally landed on what I find to be the most productive setup for my workflow. Having this much monitor real estate in this configuration has allowed me to go nearly paperless (which is great for file storage). Yeah, yeah cable management blah blah, this is all temporary as I have known for some time my Basement/Office remodel was coming at some point (FUCK COVID Delays!)

View attachment 391010

That is a 32" Samsung G7 in the middle and three 27" ASUS MG278Q WQHDs. I am 6'3" and to achieve the height proper height on middle and top monitor I had to use a static wall mount for the top monitor. I have looked for desk mounts that would grant me this set up, but the only one I have found would lower the middle and top monitors drastically.

View attachment 391014

The mount plate on the back of the top monitor is ~3' off the desk. The mount picture above is ~31" at the top, so I would end up always crooking my neck down to use my primary middle screen which would be a deal killer, truth is I wish my middle screen was 1-2" higher right now. I guess I could just switch out the top monitor mount for an arm mount that moves up and down and just deal with that one manually every time I want to change the desk from stand to sit or sit to stand, but I would like to avoid little things like that which could (over time) be enough to just not bother.

Does anyone have an easy solution I may have overlooked? What I basically need a desk mount that can hold all this weight and give me the needed height. The mount would look like the one picture above it would just need a 3'6" center pole to accomplish what I want.

I considered picking up a G9 to replace my three ASUS, but I would lose a lot of monitor real estate.
With my desk, the entire desk moves up and down so the monitors would just move with the desk as the monitors are presumably clamped to the desk.