Office and gaming chairs

Oldbased

> Than U
I think I will order one this week still.
The firmness but not a rock complaint is common. I've seen some reviews that said they put 2 inch foam under the cushion bottom to soften it up a bit.
Not worried about arm rests as I use stretchable covers on arm rests anyways for any chair I get due to cats.
I'm definitely going the cloth route though. The only thing hotter than PU leather is PU2 which is PU leather covered in a sealant.

Oldbased

> Than U
Not big or tall but I prefer executive style chairs, they're a bit wider and more comfortable than regular office chairs. Usually no adjustments other than recline though.

400lbs rating on this one

View attachment 261601

My 2nd choice to the titan was the Amazon basics one.
Up to 500 lbs but mostly for it's size as I cross a leg under a lot. Plus if it can hold up to 500 then it should hold 250 and some cats easy enough.
I noticed after putting it on my save list that the price changes every day though. It's $202-$240 multiple times a week.
I don't think the Titan is 2x the chair as that, but I want the recline and lumbar feature.

I got sick of buying the $80 staples chairs years ago. The past 3 years I've been using a Lazyboy office chair. Other than replacing the seat plate twice due to metal fractures and the PU leather peeling off which I bought a cover for, it has held up well. I only wouldn't spend $200 again due to warranty hassle, although they have come through both times.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
My current home office chair is messing up my back, I want to get one that as a much shallower seat depth, maybe something like 14-16 inches, compared to the current 20 inch seat depth i currently have. Or a chair with a 20 inch seat depth that has enough lumbar support that pushes my back forward by about 4-6 inches. I'd like to be able to sit straight without having to slouch or lean forward.

Im trying to find something on amazon but I cant filter by seat size or depth. Price range is up to $200

Anyone have the same problem?

Edit:

I went with a low tech solution

1586685332857.png

Last edited:

Oldbased

> Than U
slippery slippery Do you still have your Titan? Has it held up well for 2 years? I assume you don't even have the 2020 upgraded model as it has only been out a yearish now with the more durable PU and better tilt mechanisms.
I looked at Vertagear which is Killabee and saw lots of complaints on welds breaking and the foam breaking down after 6 months so thinking cold rolled only leaves, DXracer, Secret Labs, OPSEAT and Noble. I don't mind paying the $400 but I do want it to last 3+ years. The Lazyboy I have now made it 3 years with 2 warranty actions and was $200 which was the Bradley. The floor base is solid wood and heavy as fuck. The PU went out after 1.5 years but a cover fixed that. All 3 failures, counting the initial product, was the base plate bolted onto the bottom of the seat. It didn't wallow out like other cheap chairs, the actual plate frame cracked.

Still torn on the Titan if I do go that route( it is purchase time for real ) or the Titan XL.
Secret Labs says it is 25% bigger, but it isn't. The seat depth is the same. The back is exactly same as the Titan except it flares outward more and the seat itself is just 2 inches wider. They claim the mechanism is heavier duty but after inspecting pictures on site and reviews appears identical. The floor base is a few inches bigger, I assume providing better stability.
Not sure if a 2 inch wider seat and a bigger floor base is worth $75. I am well within the weight of a Titan but I know when I recline back I am going to have 60lbs of cat in my lap/shoulders/chest because that happens now with just a 15 degree lean back. It'll be dam near June at this point anyways before it arrives.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
slippery slippery Do you still have your Titan? Has it held up well for 2 years? I assume you don't even have the 2020 upgraded model as it has only been out a yearish now with the more durable PU and better tilt mechanisms.
I looked at Vertagear which is Killabee and saw lots of complaints on welds breaking and the foam breaking down after 6 months so thinking cold rolled only leaves, DXracer, Secret Labs, OPSEAT and Noble. I don't mind paying the $400 but I do want it to last 3+ years. The Lazyboy I have now made it 3 years with 2 warranty actions and was $200 which was the Bradley. The floor base is solid wood and heavy as fuck. The PU went out after 1.5 years but a cover fixed that. All 3 failures, counting the initial product, was the base plate bolted onto the bottom of the seat. It didn't wallow out like other cheap chairs, the actual plate frame cracked.

Still torn on the Titan if I do go that route( it is purchase time for real ) or the Titan XL.
Secret Labs says it is 25% bigger, but it isn't. The seat depth is the same. The back is exactly same as the Titan except it flares outward more and the seat itself is just 2 inches wider. They claim the mechanism is heavier duty but after inspecting pictures on site and reviews appears identical. The floor base is a few inches bigger, I assume providing better stability.
Not sure if a 2 inch wider seat and a bigger floor base is worth $75. I am well within the weight of a Titan but I know when I recline back I am going to have 60lbs of cat in my lap/shoulders/chest because that happens now with just a 15 degree lean back. It'll be dam near June at this point anyways before it arrives.
I do still have it, and it's held up pretty well. There is one spot where it has started to flake a tiny bit, the arm rest I lean on all the time the plastic cracked under the pressure on the side, and the hydraulic gives every once in a while. Other than it's fine. The tilt is probably the best thing about the chair tbh, because I definitely tilt a ton. Overall I'm reasonably happy with it, and it's probably pretty good for my posture

• 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 1 user

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I bought an Aeron 4 years ago and it still practically looks cherry. Not a scratch, tear, loose part, etc.

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
I bought an Aeron 4 years ago and it still practically looks cherry. Not a scratch, tear, loose part, etc.
I know streamers that got those and the Hermans. My lawn furniture has the same webbing and while they legit hold up through everything and has more knobs than a FOH mod looking for a polish job, I tuck my leg under too much, which cuts circulation even more. Plus I don't know how it'll hold up to cats. I got some big ass cats with tiger claws. 20+lb'rs not fat with paws the size of a womans hand when they stretch it out. All got claws.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Husband and I are probably looking for some new chairs with our stimulus money if we ever get it. I’ve had the same executive chair from Staples for over 15 years now and this thing is a master champ. Other than this chair, we don’t have anything other than some shitty little tetanus-riddled metal table chairs that the husband is having to use since he works from home now. I also have my office in another room and have to cart my chair back and forth multiple times a day if I want to use the office to work.

I’d like to buy something similar to what I already have as the thing is a tank, it’s comfortable, and somehow doesn’t give a fuck if my cats scratch the shit out of it (they love the texture of the fabric). The two open spots on it are only from me getting the armrest constantly stuck under my desk and rubbing it over and over and from me tucking my one foot underneath. Can’t even tell that the cats go ham on this thing every day, so whatever miracle fabric is on this I’d like to have. None of the leather bullshit. My other problem lately is I’m a short fuck and trying to get a desk/chair combo that is comfortable is hard. I have to have my chair super high so I don’t lose circulation in my arms from the desk cutting into them but that always results in my legs just dangling which puts too much pressure on them. Something that can raise high enough but has something like a foot rest or foot bar I can sit my feet on so I’m not tucking my foot anymore (I’ve done some actual damage to my foot over the years because of this). I kind of doubt I’ll ever find something like my current chair where it was $200 for a chair that’s held up this long, but I’d like something that’s going to last and I’d like to stay below $400 if I can.

For the husband, he’s a big dude, probably about 275lbs so need something that’s not going to fall apart on his ass. Wants something that’s not going to get sticky, and isn’t going to get overly hot on him. Wants something in that gaming chair style. Budget for him is $300.

Any suggestions? My current tank is pictured below (along with a thieving asshole).

398AB6B2-505A-4E2C-B1F7-A12D071669FA.jpeg

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
Husband and I are probably looking for some new chairs with our stimulus money if we ever get it. I’ve had the same executive chair from Staples for over 15 years now and this thing is a master champ. Other than this chair, we don’t have anything other than some shitty little tetanus-riddled metal table chairs that the husband is having to use since he works from home now. I also have my office in another room and have to cart my chair back and forth multiple times a day if I want to use the office to work.

I’d like to buy something similar to what I already have as the thing is a tank, it’s comfortable, and somehow doesn’t give a fuck if my cats scratch the shit out of it (they love the texture of the fabric). The two open spots on it are only from me getting the armrest constantly stuck under my desk and rubbing it over and over and from me tucking my one foot underneath. Can’t even tell that the cats go ham on this thing every day, so whatever miracle fabric is on this I’d like to have. None of the leather bullshit. My other problem lately is I’m a short fuck and trying to get a desk/chair combo that is comfortable is hard. I have to have my chair super high so I don’t lose circulation in my arms from the desk cutting into them but that always results in my legs just dangling which puts too much pressure on them. Something that can raise high enough but has something like a foot rest or foot bar I can sit my feet on so I’m not tucking my foot anymore (I’ve done some actual damage to my foot over the years because of this). I kind of doubt I’ll ever find something like my current chair where it was $200 for a chair that’s held up this long, but I’d like something that’s going to last and I’d like to stay below $400 if I can.

For the husband, he’s a big dude, probably about 275lbs so need something that’s not going to fall apart on his ass. Wants something that’s not going to get sticky, and isn’t going to get overly hot on him. Wants something in that gaming chair style. Budget for him is $300.

Any suggestions? My current tank is pictured below (along with a thieving asshole).

View attachment 263639
Outside the Amazon Basics higher end chairs and Secret Labs, OPSEAT, NZXT, Noble Chairs in the cold rolled foam selections, I can only tell you to avoid the 1000 brand names on Amazon/Walmart that appear too good to be true. Most of them use wood, very cheap foam which breaks down to dust in months and terrible material.

As for Amazon Basics, which if people didn't know Amazon Basics is really decent stuff usually. Often it is rebranded premium versions of things like their mic is comparable to a Yeti, their usb cables to Anker and so forth.

Serta chairs used to have the flaw of being made in China, despite being a made in USA bedding company. They suffered things like lift failure and padding/foam failures for a few years. They have lots of new lines out so I don't know if it was corrected or not. The Lazyboy office chairs which I used the past 3 years is comfortable and heavy duty. Sadly one part always fails for me but they have a 3+ year warranty and getting a new part each time was fairly painless. Many chairs have 30 days to 1 year warranty and even then questionable for support. Sadly outside the Amazon Basics, Serta and Lazyboy chairs, all of the gaming chairs listed above are ~$400+ where as the Serta/AB/Lazyboy are $200-$300 and sales revolve around them to bring the $300 down to near $200 often.

What I've found in my 6 month quest for a damn chair and endless videos, reviews, asking around and browsing thousands of them is that they could make a damn awesome chair if most of these companies spent $5 more in metal/part quality. Metal base, Multi tilt( the newer model where it is angled under seat ) or a thicker metal plate for the older, cold rolled foam which is durable and consistent and not the bird cage foam cheap companies use and a higher quality cotton thread cover or a durable heavy PU leather with a welded metal seat and back frame makes a near indestructible chair. Shame companies use nylon bases, thin plates, wood frames, cheap foam and light junk PU.

The higher end companies making gaming chairs stepped up to higher end stuff, but everyone I've seen it only takes a few days before even an ape could say, this could have been a bit better. It'd be a good time to start a chair business. None of the above applies to web chairs. Everyone sat they are comfortable and durable as fuck and generic versions exist that probably cut the same corners, but I skipped over even considering those in my constant searching.

Counting Slippery, I now know 4 people with Titans who had the older model and it is still going strong years later. The 2020 versions which is all they sell has PU2 which is a thicker, heavier and much more water resistant then the previous version they had which flakes off like my Lazyboy did. They also beefed up padding, frame and parts. So all of them now would be far more durable than the versions those 4 even have making it a safe bet. I wish bigger 4 gaming brands would make the same chair without all the fancy stitching and designs. Probably would shave off at least $50 and I would be fine with it just being 1 color and plain.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I went with this. See how it goes. Mostly because this is one chair that looks to be decent quality and Amazon can get to me in decent time. The Titan's are shipping mid/late May. I need a chair now. And it's named "The Dark Wizard!"

d1f6942311b8c768c6252ac909215b2c.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Oldbased

> Than U
I went with this. See how it goes. Mostly because this is one chair that looks to be decent quality and Amazon can get to me in decent time. The Titan's are shipping mid/late May. I need a chair now. And it's named "The Dark Wizard!"

View attachment 263784
That chair was on one of the good reviews in my research. The only reason I didn't include it was the side flares as those typically don't allow for crossing a leg under. That is one of my requirements though and if you don't usually do it when sitting long periods would have no effect on your use.

Speaking of which, last bit of advice to anyone looking for a new chair I didn't include. Googling best chairs of 2019/2020 will get you a million "gaming" rags listing the BEST CHAIRS OF 2020! The reviews are all trash. Every single one of them. You can almost smell the money being paid to them to list shitty chairs. Unless a new company comes out with the same standards which are, large metal base, class 4 hydro lift, metal welded frames and cold rolled foam and heavy/hq pu and multi tilt seat base( as seen above in your picture, fuck the old flat bases ). Ignore it as a possibility. Even then be careful. Look for chairs with 2+ years warranty and a valid way to contact the seller. Many out there just throwing junk at people with no warranty/support.

First place I came across Anda was Newegg reviews. Newegg considered them "mid-range"

Then PC Mag

My issue with PC Mag is they also suggested Killabee which seems to have a lot of wood/weld failures. Support reviews are mixed. Some people claim they sent whole new chairs when a issue came up, others said they never got a response at all.

Last edited:

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea, I wish I had done more research. I got a Verta gear chair and my first clue should of been the tilt resistance crank that broke the first day from my kids cranking it too far. So now my chair has 2 positions. Sitting perfectly straight and flat or tilted all the way back. And Noodleface Noodleface its not just short people. I'm 6'6" and when it's titled all the way back I can't put my feet flat. I use an old Amazon box as a foot rest that is probably causing more damage than good. Oh and as said the foam is stiff as fuck and had to get one of those tail bone pillows.

I feel like I would have been happier with one of those $400 Serta chairs from Office Depot.

Oldbased

> Than U
Went ahead and ordered these even though I haven't purchased the Titan yet. I love the longer ones I am using for my Lazyboy now and will use them for every new chair I buy no matter how good it is.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Nice idea. There are buttons on the top and sides of the arm rests fyi so not sure if that would interfere. I am 100% loving this chair

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Anybody use a foot rest with their chair?
I made a foot rail out of some spare lumber thats about 8 inches high and sits back under the back of my desk. When i'm reclined, which i do most of the time, i prop my foot up on it to keep pressure off my thighs.

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
The Dark Wizard has arrived and been assembled! 1st impression is...It's built like a tank. Heavy duty screws. Definitely made for big guys. Took less than an hour to assemble. Everything lined up damn near perfectly.

The lumbar support! The upper back support! How the hell have I not had these all these years! The more than ample seat cushion appears to be better quality. Don't see it going flat for awhile. The Ricardo Montalban Corinthian leather isn't going to break down or rip. We'll see about the seams though. The armrests could use some cushioning. They also don't go up as high as I would want. I bought new wheels also. I want rubber wheels is all.

1st impression score 9/10.

IMG_20200424_180836.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Oldbased

> Than U
The Dark Wizard has arrived and been assembled! 1st impression is...It's built like a tank. Heavy duty screws. Definitely made for big guys. Took less than an hour to assemble. Everything lined up damn near perfectly.

The lumbar support! The upper back support! How the hell have I not had these all these years! The more than ample seat cushion appears to be better quality. Don't see it going flat for awhile. The Ricardo Montalban Corinthian leather isn't going to break down or rip. We'll see about the seams though. The armrests could use some cushioning. They also don't go up as high as I would want. I bought new wheels also. I want rubber wheels is all.

1st impression score 9/10.

View attachment 265156
Warranty? Seller says 6 years all parts in 2018 but in 2019 a user said lifetime frame 18 months parts.
Trying to compare that to Titan/Titan XL.
Also can you measure distance between the lovely lady humps. Actual flat seat width for me?
6 years is a better warranty than the 2/5 of the Secret Labs and they had this chair listed for 2 years now so not a sell and screw so far.

Also as far as cushioning goes, those arm rests I linked above for $20 will fix that with the 1.5inch memory foam. Already got those as I knew any chair I bought would be the adjustable style arms. Nice thing about them I didn't expect was the hidden zipper inside to remove the foam so you can just toss them in the washer and dryer.

Last edited: