Orange Is the New Black

Raes

Vyemm Raider
is it me or does anyone view the girl as just a vassel into the life of that prison. The girl is so boring (the acting is fine, main character just is blah), jason biggs is just as boring, really could just fast forward through every biggs scene, it's not like you need to know about his parents, or her parents or him being bros with her brother. honestly they could write out the main girl and jason biggs and it'd still be a good show, we don't her,... as a pov character, maybe it's cuz most of us are men and just can't think of a creature like piper being real.
In my opinion, Taylor Schilling's acting is one of the worst things about the show. I actually read an article/interview somewhere where they talk about her role in "Argo" ( I haven't seen it) where she plays Affleck's wife...and all her speaking scenes were cut. Did not surprise me in the least.

I do agree that all the stuff outside the prison is super dull.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
In my opinion, Taylor Schilling's acting is one of the worst things about the show. I actually read an article/interview somewhere where they talk about her role in "Argo" ( I haven't seen it) where she plays Affleck's wife...and all her speaking scenes were cut. Did not surprise me in the least.

I do agree that all the stuff outside the prison is super dull.
if i remember argo, his "wife" is just the last 2mins cheesy music/honey i'm home/see kid. are we sure here "bad acting" isn't the portrayal of a despicable character? that's how i took it as, you wouldn't want to meet this over privalaged WASP, and actually i think they give you an over privalaged WASP to compare and contrast, Nicky. (the blond lesbian former junky) Like nicky is your basic over privalaged WASP that did drugs went to prison and seems changed for some amount of good. While Piper is just beyond redeemable because she doesn't see that her actions can have negative results, and just doesn't care. We could say she "tried" to understand and do good by getting crazy god girl out of psych, but that seems like she was more afraid of karma (hanged junkie girl) than anything else.

that's why i think the acting is good, initially at eps 1, you're thinking eh dumb chick dumb decisions. then you see by the end that the 3 ppl that love her
fiancee/lesbian lover/crazy eyes (the bug eyed crazy black girl that wanted her as a "wife"), realize that she is just a bad bad person.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I don't think she's a bad person. She's naive and impulsive, but she often wants to do well. Crazy's impression is colored by Chapman's reaction to her craziness, which I felt was appropriate. Crazy tried to make Chapman into her prison bitch.

Biggs was never really into her. He wanted the blonde yuppie and went against his culture to maintain their relationship, then used her serious experiences to selfishly promote himself. They reinforced his ambition and willingness to sacrifice her to attain it several times. His parents contributed significantly to that situation.

Only Vause even remotely understands/accepts her, but she adapts to reality more adeptly than Chapman, which goes back to the naivety issue. Chapman was raised a yuppie, and she is only just now beginning to accept that her upbringing didn't prepare her for the situation she's in. Vause was always poor and in proximity to cruelty. Her place in prison is less jarring to her.

/shrug, my b? Irrelevant unless LD edits himself as well.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I don't think she's a bad person. She's naive and impulsive, but she often wants to do well. Crazy's impression is colored by Chapman's reaction to her craziness, which I felt was appropriate. Crazy tried to make Chapman into her prison bitch.

Biggs was never really into her. He wanted the blonde yuppie and went against his culture to maintain their relationship, then used her serious experiences to selfishly promote himself. They reinforced his ambition and willingness to sacrifice her to attain it several times. His parents contributed significantly to that situation.

Only Vause even remotely understands/accepts her, but she adapts to reality more adeptly than Chapman, which goes back to the naivety issue. Chapman was raised a yuppie, and she is only just now beginning to accept that her upbringing didn't prepare her for the situation she's in. Vause was always poor and in proximity to cruelty. Her place in prison is less jarring to her.
After watching the whole series so far, I disagree. They've gone out of their way to show that if she isn't out and out a bad person, she is so naive as to make her a bad person. Vause pegs her in the last few episodes as being pretty and a great lay so people fall for her but she doesn't know how to actually handle life. Since she has always had someone there to catch her when she falls, she does whatever she wants without heed to the consequences. The only reason her character is at all interesting in the show is that she is in prison now and has nowhere to turn in the end when both Biggs and Vause turn their back on her.

Interested to see what season 2 brings. My wife and I were trying to figure out how they were going to keep her in jail and by episode 8 or 9 figured she was going to end up killing someone.

Also, best part of the show are Taystee and her skinny co-girl. Funny shit.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
if i remember argo, his "wife" is just the last 2mins cheesy music/honey i'm home/see kid. are we sure here "bad acting" isn't the portrayal of a despicable character?
Yeah, man, you're right. I'm a fucking retard who can't tell the difference between "bad acting" and "acting bad". Thanks for clearing that up.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
We just started watching this, love the American Pie reference in the first episode...?the webcam horror and the penis-shaving incident.? when talking about their pasts.

Mulgrew is awesome.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Finished this a couple days ago. I really enjoyed it. I don't even really get the Biggs hate. His character is kind of a dickhole, but as far as the acting goes I didn't think it was horrible. He's kind of a side character anyway, so he didn't bother me much.

Crazy Eyes is by far my favorite character. I lost it with her auditioning for the pageant.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
The problem I have with Larry is that he's supposed to represent the part of Piper's life that she's missing out on. He serves as a reminder that life is still going on outside of prison without her and that her actions have affected other people. However, he's not a terribly sympathetic character, so it's hard to get on board with the issues he's experiencing. He mostly just comes across as really whiny and pathetic, to the point where it makes it hard to understand why Piper would struggle so much with their relationship and trying to keep it going.

But, I think the problem is larger than just Larry. The scenes that take place outside of the prison are the weakest elements of the story and tend to drag the show down some. Unlike characters inside the prison, like Miss Claudette, Trish, and Red, we haven't been given much reason to become attached to or care about characters like Larry, Polly, and Cal. Their only purpose is to discuss Piper's actions and feel more like plot devices than actual characters. They don't really exist independently of Piper and just get forgotten otherwise, whereas the characters in the prison can have entire plots that don't require her involvement.

Nutron_sl

shitlord
Unlike characters inside the prison, like Miss Claudette, Trish, and Red, we haven't been given much reason to become attached to or care about characters like Larry, Polly, and Cal. Their only purpose is to discuss Piper's actions and feel more like plot devices than actual characters. They don't really exist independently of Piper and just get forgotten otherwise, whereas the characters in the prison can have entire plots that don't require her involvement.
This is exactly how I feel about those characters. They are so hollow..

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Watched the first three episodes. The series isn't bad by any rights...just not drawing me in. Mulgrew as some sort of Russian/Eastern European is bad, but whatever. She's Janeway to me(that's not a complement) so she was at a disadvantage to begin with. I think Jason Biggs fell into the Michael Cera trap. Or is it the other way around? He plays the same goofy character every time. Reference American Pie, sure, that was funny, don't actually have him act the same fucking way. Grocery sex phone scene was rolling my eyes so hard. Then the same damn episode he's talking to his brother-in-law how to jerk off(or not to).

Laura Prepon's acting through the first three episodes was kinda flat too. Her guest spot on House was pretty much the same. Does she or this show get any better?

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
I'm almost done with the show and found it quite enjoyable. Same level as House of Cards, maybe even better.

The main character is the worst on the show. She does kind of characterize the stereotypical white woman who thinks she understands the world with her social justice tumblr blog, post-college trip to Europe and Whole Foods pantry, though.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Watched the first three episodes. The series isn't bad by any rights...just not drawing me in. Mulgrew as some sort of Russian/Eastern European is bad, but whatever. She's Janeway to me(that's not a complement) so she was at a disadvantage to begin with. I think Jason Biggs fell into the Michael Cera trap. Or is it the other way around? He plays the same goofy character every time. Reference American Pie, sure, that was funny, don't actually have him act the same fucking way. Grocery sex phone scene was rolling my eyes so hard. Then the same damn episode he's talking to his brother-in-law how to jerk off(or not to).

Laura Prepon's acting through the first three episodes was kinda flat too. Her guest spot on House was pretty much the same. Does she or this show get any better?
1. Mulgrew is ok.
2. Biggs is shit, and I hope they write him out.
3. Prepon doesn't grow.
4. Show definitely gets better rather quickly, but I like off kilter shows. Sure as ten fucks beats another police procedural or MD show.

Natasha Lyonne isn't acting in this show at all. They based her character...off of herself. Scary damsel, but entertaining. Here's her wikipedia entry:

Lyonne was arrested in August 2001 for driving under the influence of alcohol after she ran her rented automobile onto a Miami Beach sidewalk, hitting a road sign and causing minor damages.[19] In August 2002 she pleaded guilty to drunk driving and paid $1,000 in fines and court fees, performed 50 hours of community service, took part in a victim's panel organized by Mothers Against Drunk Driving, was placed on probation for one year and had her license suspended for that same period.[20] In 2003 she was evicted by her landlord, actor Michael Rapaport, following numerous complaints by other tenants about her behavior.[21] In 2005 Lyonne was in Beth Israel Medical Center in Manhattan, suffering from hepatitis C infection and undergoing methadone treatment.[22][23] In 2006, Lyonne was in the Caron Foundation, a drug and alcohol treatment center, and appeared in court after missing several court dates to face earlier charges of mischief, trespass and harassment. A judge sentenced her to conditional discharge.[24]

In December 2004, Lyonne was arrested after verbally threatening her neighbor, breaking a mirror in the neighbor's apartment, and threatening to molest the neighbor's dog.[25] She spent a night in jail before being arraigned on charges of criminal mischief, harassment, and trespassing. The details of this incident did not become publicly known until two years had passed. In April 2005, an arrest warrant was issued for Lyonne for failure to appear in court on the charges. Prosecutors say she attended court, but arrived an hour late and only stayed 30 minutes. Police were unable to locate Lyonne until her hospitalization was reported in August. In August 2005, the New York Post reported that Lyonne was in Beth Israel Medical Center in Manhattan under a pseudonym, and had been there for over a month after being transferred from Bellevue Hospital. She reportedly suffered from hepatitis C, a heart infection, and a collapsed lung. In January 2006, another arrest warrant was issued for her after she missed another hearing. Lyonne's lawyer said an emergency had arisen, but he did not give details.

In 2012, she underwent heart surgery, from which she quickly recovered. She discussed her past health problems on The Rosie Show in March 2012.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was thinking today and realized there's probably a lot of folks that don't quite get the meth heads name. They call her Pennsatucky.Pennsyltuckyis a nickname for the back country redneck areas of Pennsylvania, where we keep most of our meth heads.. I'm guessing whoever named the character either fucked it up or just thought it would be easier to say it wrong.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
In December 2004, Lyonne was arrested after verbally threatening her neighbor, breaking a mirror in the neighbor's apartment, and threatening to molest the neighbor's dog.[25] She spent a night in jail before being arraigned on charges of criminal mischief, harassment, and trespassing. The details of this incident did not become publicly known until two years had passed. In April 2005, an arrest warrant was issued for Lyonne for failure to appear in court on the charges. Prosecutors say she attended court, but arrived an hour late and only stayed 30 minutes. Police were unable to locate Lyonne until her hospitalization was reported in August. In August 2005, the New York Post reported that Lyonne was in Beth Israel Medical Center in Manhattan under a pseudonym, and had been there for over a month after being transferred from Bellevue Hospital. She reportedly suffered from hepatitis C, a heart infection, and a collapsed lung. In January 2006, another arrest warrant was issued for her after she missed another hearing. Lyonne's lawyer said an emergency had arisen, but he did not give details.

In 2012, she underwent heart surgery, from which she quickly recovered. She discussed her past health problems on The Rosie Show in March 2012.
I had no idea threatening to molest your neighbor's dog was illegal. Wonder how much time you can get for that.

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
I was thinking today and realized there's probably a lot of folks that don't quite get the meth heads name. They call her Pennsatucky.Pennsyltuckyis a nickname for the back country redneck areas of Pennsylvania, where we keep most of our meth heads.. I'm guessing whoever named the character either fucked it up or just thought it would be easier to say it wrong.
Pretty sure people know if you add Tucky to any area it's the redneck hick area.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Pretty sure people know if you add Tucky to any area it's the redneck hick area.
Hmm...let me try one.

Fohtucky.

Yep, it works as redneckville. At least as far as Tyen and Donkey were concerned.
smile.png