Outriders (Squeenix looter shooter)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Better than I expected (was hoping for Destiny gunplay minus the grinding crap but was expecting anthem/avengers level junk). Why don’t the options have a toggle for camera shake? The cutscene bobbing was jarring. Would also love to be able to turn off motion blur. Not being able to jump feels really weird. Devastator is fun so far. Haven’t tried other classes yet, but will.

edit: and after playing Destiny so long, it was so satisfying hearing my character not only talk, but swear. I don’t know why haha.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Hopped on this with two friends and did the whole demo up to world tier 4 & level 6... We actually really, really enjoyed it. Which was surprising from the comments in here. It got way more difficult. I'm actually interested in the setting and the world. Some abilities seemed really cool, the style of them etc... I don't see how this game would be very interesting solo though, just like any of these looter shooters. Would be a waste.

Their servers were dropping us quite a bit, but not sure how worrisome that is. They have a month to clean some shit up. Motion blur, the cutscene shaky shit sucked. Dialogue actually seemed solid, and more mature.

edit: We'll probably grab it after it hits its first sale. Solid first impression, and surely the end game and what not will bring a "better" game.
edit #2 (wtf): The synchronization playing with different classes and with friends seemed like it just "worked". Buddy gets in trouble, port over and drop some CC, bring in the tank to help fend off a rescue etc. I don't know, gun play and the abilities seemed good enough to me to potentially carry this game.

Last edited:

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The game is not bad by any means, its just missing something. I dont know what but it feels sterile, vanilla, cant explain it.

The difficulty definitely ramps up but once you figure out your powers you start owning everything. But yeah, difficulty is definitely there. They throw some shit at you thats for sure. The first time I met those dudes with the knives that rush you was a big surprise.

It will all hinge on end game IMO. Sadly without PvP this only relies on PvE and we all know how people consume that shit. At least with some PvP you have some other avenue to grind out through those PvE content droughts. Will they have seasons? Will they have some sort of raid content, does not seem like it with only 3 man party. there is only so much gear grinding the same places over and over one can take. Sort of like Div2. Shit gets old. And im afraid this is the same shit here. I hope im wrong, maybe they pulled some new shit from their sleeve?

Or maybe this is meant to be a console lobby game where you hop on with your buds a few times a week or whatever and play something else more full time?

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Played some more of it solo, up to World Level 4 and Character level 6. As stated above, the powers and items get way better, and Blues really seem to add to your character/playstyle. I was thinking the item inventory was like the weapon inventory but you have to click on the slot to see what you have. I kept thinking, "are the items by class? Where is that stuff I just picked up?" Once I figured it out, I felt so dumb. The gameplay in the moment is so different its hard to get used to the different beats. As a Devastator, almost dead? Don't take cover, get that shotty out and go cap some fools. Game does seem like it could be fun but holy shit the edgy grimdarkiness. If it wasn't made in Eastern Europe, it should have been made in Eastern Europe. It makes WH40K look like the feel good summer romance of the season. Gimme some of the Destiny, where 4 races of aliens are bearing down on the Last City of Mankind for hope and light.

If you can't tell, it bugs me. I'll wait for the reviews and word here before I go all in. Hopefully the narrative gets less oppressive.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
I feel like i'm just playing Destiny all over again. fun for a while but repetitive genre.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
We don’t know what end game is going to be, and so far we only killing soldiers. Bring on the beasts and bugs!

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I feel like i'm just playing Destiny all over again. fun for a while but repetitive genre.
They are all repetitive eventually: All that matters is the wrapper and the accoutrement. This one makes some changes to the gameplay formula but it is just not appealing to look at for me. May be worth getting past that, though.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I just think the big problem with this is going to be the fact they are saying this isn't a "games as a service" game. I don't understand how you have a proper "looter shooter" without it being a service. At that point, this is basically just Gears of War.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's definitely more fun once you have a full set of blue or better gear. Weapon perks are kind of blah aside from stuff like rifles that slow/freeze their target making headshots super easy, or the one that heals like 1/3 of your hp on kill (at L7, I'd be really surprised if it scaled the same all the way to max level).

Armor perks completely change things though. After doing a little more farming to see if I could get a legendary rifle (The Iceberg) I ended up with a full set of blues, so now my Technomancer throws up to 3 mines (can have +1 on two different pieces and they stack), those mines have 33% larger detection and explosion radius, my decay bullets last for 2 magazines, and when they're used up 40% of the damage dealt by decay becomes a heal for me (split among whole team if not playing solo).

I just think the big problem with this is going to be the fact they are saying this isn't a "games as a service" game. I don't understand how you have a proper "looter shooter" without it being a service. At that point, this is basically just Gears of War.
.... Borderlands? Hell, even Division 1 (and by today's standards Destiny 1 as well) was barely a GaaS. GaaS, especially faggotry like copying Fortnite seasons, is what has ruined this genre. PCF insisting there will be no GaaS "features" besides the always-online requirement is the only reason I still plan to buy the game at release.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Don't think this is bad, nor is it great - my takeaway is, it looks like it's much more interesting the higher you go, but the game feels... cheap? Like, just kind of cheesy. They need a ton more options as well because I'll not buy this if I don't have the option to turn off the FUCKING CAMERA SHAKE. Holy fuck it's unplayable at times.

• 2Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
.... Borderlands? Hell, even Division 1 (and by today's standards Destiny 1 as well) was barely a GaaS. GaaS, especially faggotry like copying Fortnite seasons, is what has ruined this genre. PCF insisting there will be no GaaS "features" besides the always-online requirement is the only reason I still plan to buy the game at release.
All of which I was bored with shortly after reaching cap, honestly. At the end of the day, these games are basically just glorified ARPGs. However, I find ARPGs boring as shit without stuff like consistent seasonal play, DLC, etc.

• 1Like

Vorph

All of which I was bored with shortly after reaching cap, honestly. At the end of the day, these games are basically just glorified ARPGs. However, I find ARPGs boring as shit without stuff like consistent seasonal play, DLC, etc.
Depends on what you want out of the game I guess. I just don't give a shit about any of that. I quickly begin to resent games that overstay their welcome and try to monopolize my time with all that bullshit busywork. I have probably 50 games in my backlog that I still intend to play (and easy double that if you count the ones I've just written off) plus in an average month I buy a game and rent ~2 more from Gamefly. I neither need nor want one game to try to get me to spend hundreds of hours on repetitive content--or, even worse, to get me to log in and play it every single day--anymore.

• 2Solidarity

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Depends on what you want out of the game I guess. I just don't give a shit about any of that. I quickly begin to resent games that overstay their welcome and try to monopolize my time with all that bullshit busywork. I have probably 50 games in my backlog that I still intend to play (and easy double that if you count the ones I've just written off) plus in an average month I buy a game and rent ~2 more from Gamefly. I neither need nor want one game to try to get me to spend hundreds of hours on repetitive content--or, even worse, to get me to log in and play it every single day--anymore.
Well, I guess it's just more that we have different expectations of the genre, I think. I put ARPGs, looter-shooters, certain survival games, and MMOs in very similar categories. They are games that I play with the expectation that they're going to eat up hundreds of hours. In fact, that's almost precisely why I play them, because I actually crave the "grind" they offer.

When I want something more laid back, casual, or something that has a fairly defined "end", I'll play something like a 4x, Darkest Dungeon, CRPG, etc.

I was just hoping for a co-op, looter-shooter experience that me and my buddies could sink hundreds of hours into. It doesn't appear that Outriders wants to be that game. Which is perfectly fine, it just isn't an experience worth $60 to me. It's probably something I'll run through in a year or so when the game sees a deep discount, but I was craving more of a Destiny 2 style game without the staleness of Destiny 2.

• 1Like

Leviothan

Trakanon Raider
That prologue was long and bland. The dialogue is ridiculously uninspired too. This is just the Division in Space. The camera shaking in cutscenes in fucking intense too.

Feel like I'm complaining a lot but this is kind of boring and I don't mean the combat. There is too much listening to people talk in between the action and you doing nothing. Feels like D&D where the DM likes to hear himself talk while you're finger popping your asshole waiting to interact.

• 1Wow!

Vorph

Yeah, I was definitely relieved when I saw that you can skip the prologue for all characters after the first. Having to do it again on XSX was bad enough.

Vorph

Well, I guess it's just more that we have different expectations of the genre, I think. I put ARPGs, looter-shooters, certain survival games, and MMOs in very similar categories. They are games that I play with the expectation that they're going to eat up hundreds of hours. In fact, that's almost precisely why I play them, because I actually crave the "grind" they offer.

When I want something more laid back, casual, or something that has a fairly defined "end", I'll play something like a 4x, Darkest Dungeon, CRPG, etc.

I was just hoping for a co-op, looter-shooter experience that me and my buddies could sink hundreds of hours into. It doesn't appear that Outriders wants to be that game. Which is perfectly fine, it just isn't an experience worth $60 to me. It's probably something I'll run through in a year or so when the game sees a deep discount, but I was craving more of a Destiny 2 style game without the staleness of Destiny 2.
Checking Steam, I've got just under 200 hours (each) clocked on Borderlands 1 & 2. Not sure how much I had in BL3, since I rented it for PS4 and the game was complete shit anyway. It's just weird to me to think that people would call that not enough.

Still remains to be seen if Outriders has as much content as BL1&2 did, of course. Or if the classes are interesting enough to make it worth replaying the whole way through... I think I played all but 1 or 2 Borderlands characters to max level and did endgame stuff with most of them, but after playing this demo I'm not interested in anything but Technomancer.

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Don't think this is bad, nor is it great - my takeaway is, it looks like it's much more interesting the higher you go, but the game feels... cheap? Like, just kind of cheesy. They need a ton more options as well because I'll not buy this if I don't have the option to turn off the FUCKING CAMERA SHAKE. Holy fuck it's unplayable at times.
This. Destiny is the A standard in the genre and this is a B level game at best.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Checking Steam, I've got just under 200 hours (each) clocked on Borderlands 1 & 2. Not sure how much I had in BL3, since I rented it for PS4 and the game was complete shit anyway. It's just weird to me to think that people would call that not enough.

Still remains to be seen if Outriders has as much content as BL1&2 did, of course. Or if the classes are interesting enough to make it worth replaying the whole way through... I think I played all but 1 or 2 Borderlands characters to max level and did endgame stuff with most of them, but after playing this demo I'm not interested in anything but Technomancer.
If they could truly offer a fun, meaningful 200 hours, I'm definitely on board. The problem is, I didn't take that away from the demo. Especially with a lot of the classes feeling "meh", like you said.

I just plan to take a wait and see approach. It's just very reminiscent of where most games are these days on release - where you're much better served waiting for people to get through the initial "hype" of having something new to play to know how good the game actually is. The bonus being you usually get a good discount and months of bug fixes/content additions.