Overwatch 2

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They don't even allow pre-paid lol

Is this just to play the game in general, or just to play ranked?

Starting October 4, 2022, all players across all platforms, including consoles, are required to have a phone number attached to their battle.net account to launch Overwatch 2.

• 1WTF
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Starting October 4, 2022, all players across all platforms, including consoles, are required to have a phone number attached to their battle.net account to launch Overwatch 2.

I'm okay with this only because hackers and trolls ruin everything. It's sad it's come to this really.

However, anyone paying this company for anything is beyond my understanding.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm okay with this only because hackers and trolls ruin everything. It's sad it's come to this really.

I mean does requiring a phone number stop that? These days, to me, its just like another email. Especially for cheaters, who will have no issue using a new number for every new account.

Sure it might stop the majority of the more mundane problems(language, threats, ToS violations etc) , were those people the ones going out to buy a new license and make a new account just to play again? I think not, at least the vast majority of them(and the ones that do go through that trouble, can easily find a new number). So its really just the cheaters that are the problem, and this wont do jack to them. It's just another layer of red tape everyone will have to cut through.

• 2Truth!

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Hmm the phone thing might be only for competitive mode? That would be nice. I only play mystery heroes.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>

You really think this will solve that issue?

Their cross game chat-ban system couldn't even stop people. You expect something like binding to a persons phone to do that?

I'll spoil this shit for you. Someone will figure out how to beat the system, then the system will be pointless against the direct people it intends to stop and it will be inconvenient for anyone playing by the rules.

I know I won't ever give them my number, fuck that noise. I wish I hadn't given them my IRL name for my account back when they mandated that shit too.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!

Cybsled

They’re referring to the Real ID thing they did like 10+ years ago. Instead of displaying your handle, it showed your actual name and they wanted to link it to your socials as well. It was their half assed attempt at a social network and predictably it failed

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
They’re referring to the Real ID thing they did like 10+ years ago. Instead of displaying your handle, it showed your actual name and they wanted to link it to your socials as well. It was their half assed attempt at a social network and predictably it failed

I don't know why they don't just require credit card on file. It's the same deal as using a phone number but at least you can veil it in "Hey you'll Want this!! You don't have a credit card?!?" as they tie it to some in-game reward.

I'm actually shocked "The Root" hasn't come out and said it's racist sicne you can't use disposable phone numbers.

gauze

Molten Core Raider
I don't know why, but I found this absolutely hilarious. Maybe because smol brain... but the trailer transitions a hanzo cosplayer into hanzo shooting his ult, then a black kid shooting lightning out of his hands, then to the new bitch and some weird net/hand transition spin thing mimicing her ult?? or w/e, then to a sombra cosplayer ulting.

1664911467931.png

timestamp'd

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I waited from 20k in queue to 0, and it just basically reset me to being in queue to 40k... You would think the company that basically invented the queue log in system would at least get that part of the game right on launch.

• 1Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I waited from 20k in queue to 0, and it just basically reset me to being in queue to 40k... You would think the company that basically invented the queue log in system would at least get that part of the game right on launch.
I just got in about 10 mins ago, one comp match so far

donomito

Blackwing Lair Raider
hypes up live service game

Can't even have a launch where it doesn't suck dick.

Fuck this company.

• 2Like

Molten Core Raider
I keep getting stuck in a "game server connection failed....retrying" loop. Guess Ill have to wait a few days for all the lapsed OW1 players to come and go to get in reliably.

edit - oh good, in a queue of 40k. Guess that's progress...

Amycus

Lord Nagafen Raider
My son and I got like 2 matches together, then he got kicked, back into 40000 queue or some shit. Fuuuu

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Th fact that they need a cell number and I cant use my google voice number is a fucking hjoke. ANd that they are recording all gam,e chat. FUCK THESE PEOPLE

• 2Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
So what's the verdict? Is it phone number just to get in? Or phone number just for competitive?

• 1Like