Overwatch

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Are you getting the ground slam aoe marker on your screen that shows where you'll end up? Are you able to jump off of high places and ground slam further out?

lost

<Bronze Donator>
One thing I don't understand about doomfist, I see a lot of people apricot punch up in the air, then use that ground slam thing to fly forward. When I do that the ground slam thing just beeps at me until I hit the ground. It doesn't appear to be on cooldown but it won't work.

the videos i've watched is that you ground slam shoot then upper cut shoot twice, makes more sense than to upper cut then try to ground slam the person. but some people will right click attack then upper cut and ground slam to run away.

doomfist is very movement based char, gotta quick attack and get out unless you have ult then you can use ult to get away. my problem is i always lose them in the uppercut lawls im like which way did he go george?! by time i spin around and find them they're already on their way down.

also use jump with everything.. you can travel further if you jump right click attack at same time, or jump and uppercut will get you higher as well then you can leap further away with ground slam.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I didn't know there was a ground marker. Ok I just got him in random mode... if you hadn't told me that existed, I'd never in a million years have noticed that.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
You know, I'm starting to wonder if I don't miss the Mercy meta to some extent, because fuck Ana and her Biotic Grenade and Sleep Dart.

I play a lot of Roadhog and damn that shit fucks me up so badly. I'm either asleep or can't heal. She has that weird fucking hotbox that I always seem to miss when I hook her.

It also makes me sad as a support to see my group purple from Biotic Grenade and watch them die one after the other while unable to heal them. :(

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Having fun so far, unlike last time I played this. I've only done quick plays and that CTF mode in arcade. I've usually been able to get silver or gold for a bunch of categories playing as soldier 76 (and once as junkrat).

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I don't miss the Mercy meta at all, though most times I'd rather be grouped up with a Mercy than a Moira(since they just love to DPS and not heal).

Needless

Toe Sucker
i wanna see how busted doomfist would be if he could actually aim his right click while in the air (up and down etc while aerial), nothing would be better than the giga nibba consistently punching pharahs out of the sky

lost

<Bronze Donator>
I hate getting ana as a healer on my team, shes just hard to play and if shes the main healer god help us. When I do get an awesome ana I'm like yeahh! but its rare. and lot of them prefer to dps too.

ex-genj

Golden Squire
Moira goes blue ball 95% of the time in my experience so if you have one and need heals you pretty much need to park your ass in front of her. Irritating but not surprising based on her kit.

Hope next hero is a tank with something unique. Tank crew is getting a little stale. Hog with moving heal is a lot of fun though but sadface when you land a hook on someone like ana and you immediately eat a grenade to the face instead of killing her.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well the season is up in a few days anyways, doesn't that reset your SR?

I've just been playing comp everything recently figuring it's gonna reset regardless and sort of using the last week or so to try out things.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Araxen

It doesn't reset it. It'll base your SR next season off what you finished last season minus or plus a few SR. I think they made a change this season and it tries to see if it can bump your up your SR significantly. On my alternate account it put me in a match with all diamond players so I was close to getting into diamond, but I lost that match. I got a 100 SR boost on my main account when I did placements this season. My alternate only got a 25 SR boost from where I ended last season.

Early Weekday Afternoons are the best time to do placements matches. Kids are still in school and trolls are few and far between.

Edit: Tigoles posted an ELO breakdown.

Competitive Mode Tier Distribution

LoldcuU.png

Last edited:

Araxen

XQC is 4-18 on the day right now and is in masters. Matchmaker is really fucking him up today. Fuck that douchebag! lol

Last edited:

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Well it's 6 hours till the start of stage 2.

My stage 1 recap:

Dallas, the fan fave, looked rather lost and confused. Mickie had some really poor games. Taimou as well. Taimou had some great games as well and then when on twitter to say he did terrible. Very confusing. AKM and Rascal are coming in eventually, both very solid, but DPS hasn't really been the problem.

Seoul was not nearly as badass as everyone thought. This is less them losing power and more other teams gaining strength. Lunatic always had the benefit of a good budget, good coaches, team house etc. Now they are facing many other teams that are equally well equipped. Some of their past opponents in apex had been cash strapped and working other jobs etc. Being top gun coming in, every time they had a match the other team had studied them and developed counter strategies.

Boston, a bunch of no names, plays a mean dive. In a meta that dive is weaker in, they did amazingly well. I had never heard of any of them except for Kasper. Note their dva is amazing.

New York just bullies people over with raw talent. They don't do set plays and seem to just jump on whatever hero they feel like and it works. Helps to have the best tracer. Pine is fun to watch.

Houston is all western and did pretty damn good. They even got props from Monte who is a die hard koreabu. They may suffer a bit in stage 2 as they really liked the stage 1 meta.

Sanfran has an outstanding McCree and it isn't Babybay. IDDQD got like a couple preseason games and then has sat the bench resulting in an extremely shitty stage 1. Strats, comps, player choice have all been baffling. When we finally get our hands on the real statistics people are going to be wondering what the casters are smoking talking up Babybad. Twitch chat isn't the brightest, but there's a good reason chat is filled with 'Free IDDQD!' every sf game.

Shanghai has had a rough time. All their players being beyond the great firewall, they never got to scrim much with koreans. The chinese region being so isolated they had their own strange adaptations and strategies that you didn't really see elsewhere. Mechanically there are some very solid chinese players, but they seem to lack that teamfight cohesion the koreans have down so well. They've improved massively just being in LA where they can fight other strong teams. They show a lot of heart and twitch chat has fallen in love with them.

Florida has been underwhelming. They have Zappis on the way, who is amazing, but Manneten has been playing probably the best on the team. Both are flex tank so not sure what roles they will do. Zappis can pretty much do anything. The team really should have kept Reinforce.

Valiant has been super fun to watch. Soon has smashed his critics in the dirt. I used to see lots of 'Soon lul' similar to 'Esca lul' but there's none of that shit anymore. Soon has played out of his mind.

Gladiators are a solid midfield. I don't like Surefour's silver hair.

Phili is a team I've never really liked much. Shadowburn and Carpe are amazing, and Fragi is the ultimate aggro tank. They've had some pretty entertaining matches. They have a really good farm team so the future looks good for them.

I think that just leaves London, the stage 1 winners. About what you would expect when you buy 2 top korean rosters and mix them together. Tremendous talent but occasional cohesion problems. I still think new york is the stronger team.

For the casting, I think a lot of people are puzzled that the very voice of overwatch, our very own ZP wasn't there and is off doing contenders or something. Some random counterstrike guy is with Hex. MrX's voice annoys me terribly, and he seems to just read off the team's ults and tell us what we just saw.

The rest of the "show" I mostly skip. I tend to watch stuff later and skip to the games in the vods. I do really like the Watchpoint shows they do outside of the schedule, and anything with Soe in it.

Stage 2 should see alot more Lucio and heavy tanks, but I still see people using mercy / double sniper on junkertown in the tier 3 tournaments. Should be interesting!

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
What are bits?

I don't really watch twitch beyond super occasional ,but I've caught a few of Demetrious Johnson streams over the past few years. Is this something new they added?

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
It is a fairly recent thing. It is just a way to throw a tiny bit of money at the streamer. I've never used them.

Oh btw another great thing for stage 2: King's row, Hollywood, Route 66!

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I'm looking forward to Stage 2, I think the meta might be more fun to watch. I kinda missed OWL last week with no games. :)

I still cannot stress how surprised I am by my own interest in OWL. I had no interest whatsoever in esport in general, and OWL didn't really interest me at all until it started, then for some reason I got hooked. I really enjoy watching it, the level of the players and team coordination is just incredible to watch, it's fun to see the teams setup their play and then watch it unfold...it's very different than watching top 500 competitive Overwatch.

I like the format of a regular sport league, and not just be tournament now and again that esport usually is. There's more continuity to the whole season this way I think, and makes it more interesting in my eyes.

As for Stage 1, I mostly agree with Kharzette especially with why the other teams were catching up to Seoul, and I think we will see the gap close up between the top and bottom team as the season goes on. As he said the Korean teams have been working together before on a level most other never did, but now they all have similar infrastructure, and the other teams will just catch up a bit.

One thing about Seoul that I read, is that there might be homesick. It's something that has been seen it seems in other esport with Korean team being out of Korea for a while. And Seoul unlike the other Korean team are 100% Korean, from coaches, owners and everything in their surrounding. London and NY have some EU and NA people in their entourage making it easier on them to adapt to life in NA.

A few of the bottom teams will get some help during Stage 2 and beyond which should help them since most of the bottom team have very small roster and simply lacked flexibility more than raw talent in my opinion.

Even though London won the playoffs, I still think NY will dominate. Saebyeolbe and Jjonak are simply in my opinion the 2 most dominating players at their respective position. Jjonak I think does twice the damage of other Zenyetta, that's crazy...it's really like they have an extra DPS. Saebyeolbe plays in such a unique way, he doesn't go after support like other tracers, he hunts their tracer...and usually wins.

Shanghai, even though they went 0-10, I think they were one of the most improve team over the duration of Stage 1. Their last matches were solid, and enjoyable to watch.

I'll probably watch all matches tonight to see what the new meta is like, and see how each team does.

I think I watch more Overwatch now than actually play it.. :)

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Oh btw another great thing for stage 2: King's row, Hollywood, Route 66!

King's Row, quite possibly one of my favorite map. A great Mei and Zarya map...2 heroes I like but don't play as much as I would like.

Zarya gameplay is always fun to watch in my opinion, so this should be fun. She's pretty meta I think for King's Row.

We probably won't see much Mei though. :(