Overwatch

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I forgot what streamer I was watching, but they said to be selfish with Baptiste's ultimate. I've been doing that since then, and it ends up being a much useful to my team. This is because I end up making full use of it while my team never does or I place it bad.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Are quickplay matches based on highest mmr on the team? We did a 6 stack with a few brand new people and some vets and the games were hard as fuck

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Are quickplay matches based on highest mmr on the team? We did a 6 stack with a few brand new people and some vets and the games were hard as fuck

It still does an average just like with comp but without the limitations of being grouped within a certain range. My son is grand master now and whenever I play QP with him it's quite the challenge.

Speaking of him, he has really stuck with it has gone from silver to GM over a few years. He is hoping to get top 500 this season but I think it's going to take a bit more the climb starts getting really difficult. You have to pretty much be fully versed in every character as GM teams adapt quickly to the rock paper scissors game.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
End of silver. I found bronze the worst just because the amount of throwers and Smurfs was crazy high

I found it easy to climb out of bronze and silver to gold earlier this year by carrying with Moira. I haven’t played in over a month so I don’t know how well that’d work now with her nerfs and all the other class changes.

But I stopped comp play after the first season with role queue shit. Comp play was always carrot-on-a-stick anyway. Status of rank and gold weapons. Ehhhhh. And the inevitable assholes who sucked yet trash talked the rest of the team. Nah. I’d rather play the other modes than that suck fest.

gauze

Molten Core Raider

Unless Top500 badge, and bragging rights is his interests.. I'd recommend pushing him toward scrim and scrimming teams. Probably the best competitive edge you'll get, and damn near a completely different game. Definitely a world where you see people who are GM, getting crushed out by good/organized diamond 6 stack.

It's made so damn easy now, rather when I was doing it w/ og counter-strike, hoping irc chats trying to find streams and looking for server sponsors. It's also way less toxic in my experience, aside from a few bad apples you tend to pull into your team when trying to assemble.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Unless Top500 badge, and bragging rights is his interests.. I'd recommend pushing him toward scrim and scrimming teams. Probably the best competitive edge you'll get, and damn near a completely different game. Definitely a world where you see people who are GM, getting crushed out by good/organized diamond 6 stack.

It's made so damn easy now, rather when I was doing it w/ og counter-strike, hoping irc chats trying to find streams and looking for server sponsors. It's also way less toxic in my experience, aside from a few bad apples you tend to pull into your team when trying to assemble.

Yeah his school team fell apart, he's only 15 so he has some time to work towards trying to make a contenders team if that is what he really wants to do. It's about the only thing he is passion about so I try to encourage it the best I'm able. He already has top 500 badge (from prior to roll queue) so not sure that is a goal, just trying to get better. I am seeing the first hints of him tiring on the game though, which I can't blame him.

gauze

Molten Core Raider

Yeah, assuming he's PC cus good dad; i'd recommend helping him find pockets of communities relative to scrimming. I can ask around but i'm sure there is public information that isn't hard to find. Discord has made community building massively easy. I'm not entirely sure about Overwatch, or if its still an issue.. but most teams won't pull you in until you're 18. This could have changed within the last few years, but I remember a few league and csgo players gone pro that were gatekeeped by being 16/17, but 18 insta-signed. It'd also be nice if he gets through the hidden social rankings to skip collegiate leagues; imo, cesspool.

Stewie2k story is a pretty decent one of a kid who was 16, stepped into csgo; skipped all the child-y bullshit(dumb maps, prison break, ect) and started making rounds in the higher level play, by the age of 18 was acquired by C9 and ended up being regarded as one of the best NA CSGO players. I don't know how accurate I am on that, but that is my understood paraphrase.

The whole scrim environment definitely has a reinvigorating feeling(imo) for Overwatch, its nothing like competitive queue and if you put the work into learning teammate personalities/strengths, strategies, calls/roles beyond dps/tank/supp but flex/main/igl ect, compositions.. ontop of working on your own levels of communication and team cohesion with others. If he finds a good group, he might end up w/ a coach and/or be subjected to vod reviews which could lead to even more growth. Potential recognition too.

Either way, i'm jealous haha. I didn't have that support mid 2000's, so I was that twitch kid with god aim and no social skills.. I was at the mercy of my friends and their friends, and couldn't stay dedicated to a singular game despite always falling back on Counter-Strike. Meanwhile, the kid I use to bully's because how he and his brother played golden eye(ie they would index/middle/finger/thumb grab joystick.. and also pick oddjob when you'd beat them but house rules were no one could play oddjob) went pro because he became a cavetroll and grinded out Counter-Strike Source into CSGO.. His name is PTR, nothing crazy but someone I actually knew growing up.. Career is a bit of a spudder because he didn't have a decent system to facilitate him.. but I think hes still around in the semi-pro to pro circuit but not any sort of global prix.

I tried to help my friends little brother recently because he wanted me too, but like most kids.. their attention isn't all that fixated or their maturity/foresight lacks which is fair; they are young.. we ain't raising michael jacksons haha.. but if hes slamming out GM; definitely something to promote because that is some less than 3% of the game population. Now i'm just an old hat, that fuels off the toxicity of others so that I can raise the occasional inner papa bicep and flex muscle memory.. as that train passed for me.. and for overwatch, onetricking hanzo was that juice for a little til I moved on to other ventures. lol

Last edited:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm definitely of the mindset that if my kid takes a strong interest to competitive games and proves to be good I'll support him (he's 4 so....)

I think it's a generational thing. My parents grew up in the 70s and career paths were go to school or join a trade. For me growing up, being a pro gamer wasnt even a thing until recently. But unlike my dad who gamed and then gave it up when he had kids, I still play everyday and am very much engrained with the internet. Digressing I guess.

Anyways I can't climb with Moira , she got nerfed a bit and I don't really enjoy her. I'm a tank main anyways, so I'm just gonna keep working on it. The problem is I'm a very strong offtank, but NO ONE wants to main tank. I'm a weak main tank so I probably need to switch to climb

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I guess if you can get good with Hammond you can climb pretty easily at the lower Elo's. People don't know how to deal with him since he can pretty much run in and out to disrupt the other team at will. I know when I'm not playing DPS no one will change to a hero that can counter him(Mei, Sombra).

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah I'm decent with hammond. Usually I'll pick sigma because even though he's even more of an offtank now, i find he's extremely versatile and can sort of maintank. I'll pick orisa if we have a sigma already on defense. Rein I'll pick sometimes but at low ELO I find you have to basically yell for heals.

People get pissed when you pick hammond in silver though.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Ending the season at 1900. I've been stuck at 1800-1900 the entire season. I just keep getting games with really bad players. I sound like a prison convict but there's no way I'm playing at a 1900 level

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Ended the season at 2329 with both Tank and DPS and 1942 as a Support. I’m kind of in shock that I climbed so high with DPS and fell so low with my Support I expected the opposite.

Mei was my most played with a 63% win rate, she’s just a-Mei-zing. :)

I almost gave up on tanking since the last patch, I dont like it much but it’s slowly improving as I and others are learning how to play with the way tanks work now. It makes DPS tons more fun though as you’re not shooting barriers all the time. I really need to work on my support play.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I took a couple weeks off tanking because I couldn't adjust. A big problem I find in this low ELO is people still expect double shield, and I don't think that's always what you want. I'm far better just playing Ball/Sigma than trying to double shield or play Rein with a team that doesn't heal tanks.

Tired of Mei though. She needs a fix.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Had a 96% before but never...
Screenshot_20200104-131107.png

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Tourney today on
Not sure which games they will show. I'm hoping clockwork vendetta (though they lost moose and engineer)