Overwatch

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I really kind of do miss the old orgs like fnatic and rogue and envy and such. As cool as the live city events were the travel was brutal (and was supposed to get alot worse) and that first season blizz arena magic was so good.

I think it has grown beyond the small teams though. Need those billionaire owned orgs to pay the top players.

I wonder if this deal could affect the youtube arrangements? Didn't MS try to start their own streaming thing? I can't even remember what it was called.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I honestly can't believe ow league is still functioning. OW suffers so much by the way its designed.

I get they are trying to balance it by restricting tanks and stuff but ugh.

Even when I played the game a ton I just had no interest in watching it.

I'm sure OW2 was secretly going to be the fix to everything, and maybe it will be, if it's ever released.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Every bump I have a glimmer of hope that is going to be an update of any kind...

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I really kind of do miss the old orgs like fnatic and rogue and envy and such. As cool as the live city events were the travel was brutal (and was supposed to get alot worse) and that first season blizz arena magic was so good.

I think it has grown beyond the small teams though. Need those billionaire owned orgs to pay the top players.

I wonder if this deal could affect the youtube arrangements? Didn't MS try to start their own streaming thing? I can't even remember what it was called.

This is why the pandemic actually bought OWL more time to survive. The travel schedule they setup was just untenable. It would have been a disaster. For how little money they were paying players, I suspect a lot of them would have just quit for another game. People were already suffering from major burnout mid to late season before travel even started becoming a thing.

The league should have been set up by regions, and the only time cross-region play happens is during the playoffs which should be like a TI type event. There should have been a Korea region, China region, US region, and an European region. I'm not sure where you cram Australia in at. It would have kept those regions exciting all season long.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah im sure he came by and directed the managers to make some projects, loool. You know hes a hands on kinda guy!

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
The CEO of a company with 9500 employees is directing the feature set for one of their least profitable products?

I think the employees are retarded.

• 1Like

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Think?

We know they're retarded. Blizzard's creative talent left long ago. It's just a husk existing on a name that hasn't delivered in over half a decade.

• 1Like

Cybsled

The CEO of a company with 9500 employees is directing the feature set for one of their least profitable products?

I think the employees are retarded.

I doubt directly. But I was presume that his direct reports, and their direct reports, and so on and so forth felt pressure from the top and that manifested. They had a lot of investment tied up in OW/OWL and it (was) pretty profitable at its peak.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
When the fuck was Overwatch the esport profitable? Shit was awful from day one and had all of the markings of a game maker forcing a scene where none wanted to be natively.

• 1Solidarity

Cybsled

It was profitable for Blizzard so long as they found suckers willing to buy team slots for the league lol

• 1Picard

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I'll miss the wacky britishness and Bren's odd random thoughts

I wonder if the teams even have a build of the game yet?

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Outsource!? Please be OGN! I want to return to the days of stylish sparkling water and the bang bang bang song

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I was watching dropped frames from a couple days ago and someone in chat said ESL and faceit both got bought. 1 billion was the figure but I don't know if it was both together adding up to that or 1 billion each.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Owl had a little zoom call today. May 5th start date. 24 Match regular season.

4 tournaments with kickoff clash and summer showdown being local to the region, so no hawaii for those. Tournament qualifying is point based except for the finals which will have a play-in.

New York back in the NA region. Live events planned pending safety conditions.

Not a single mention of overwatch 2 or why the teams still don't have a build of the game. Maybe they think springing a beta on the teams at the last minute will make for an interesting season.