Overwatch

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I'm with Gauze, if you get a bad team you will very likely lose. Some nights you get a dozen in a row. The odds are you should get 50 / 50 good/bad but you don't. It is really hard to apply reliable statistics to something with such a human element, especially since apparently many people were placed way above where they should have been in their qualifiers.

Having fallen as far as 1650, there's really not much difference in there and 2250. Some games you get amazing teams full of people with good aim that can disengage and go in as a team. Most games people trickle, you might get one tank and one heals if you are lucky.

If you are a diplomat, and good at convincing people to change characters, that might make a difference. I have tried, and it almost always makes things worse. Just getting 2 tanks and 2 heals goes a long way towards winning, as long as you don't get one of those Reins that just puts his shield up and stands there at a choke.

One of the biggest problems with matchmaking is that the hidden mmr is heavily biased towards dps. Play several games as support and notice your score gains and losses for game wins vs losses, then play awhile as dps and check the difference. It makes really bad dps players have a higher score than they deserve, and also encourages people to play dps even when they are terrible at it.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I disagree heavily it is blind luck. You're at your rating because you deserve to be ranked there. Everyone around you is similarly skilled (or lack thereof) and it is just your own personal ego thinking you're better than all these rando idiots. But it turns out you are also one of these rando idiots.

I think you're countering the wrong argument. I'm not complaining about my ranking. The majority of people around me are at more or less my level of mechanical skill and game sense.

What surprises me is that there seems to be a fixed proportion of people (1-2 per 2-3 games) at all levels I've seen that fail basic competencies like using voice comms and, in the most general sense, staying in effective, hero-appropriate range of the rest of the team. I just played with a 3500 rank Rein who, despide 4 players on our team spamming "group up" in text and voice chat, continually ran away from us to try to "flank". We gave up and tried to follow him instead but he literally resorted to juking his own team on the terrain. How do people like this get there?

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I hope the PTR is not an indication of things to come because there's a widowmaker and pharah on both teams, all the time right now. Mind you there's a Sombra on all team all the time too. :)

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
I think you're countering the wrong argument. I'm not complaining about my ranking. The majority of people around me are at more or less my level of mechanical skill and game sense.

What surprises me is that there seems to be a fixed proportion of people (1-2 per 2-3 games) at all levels I've seen that fail basic competencies like using voice comms and, in the most general sense, staying in effective, hero-appropriate range of the rest of the team. I just played with a 3500 rank Rein who, despide 4 players on our team spamming "group up" in text and voice chat, continually ran away from us to try to "flank". We gave up and tried to follow him instead but he literally resorted to juking his own team on the terrain. How do people like this get there?
This, im not by any means a great player. Im average. Im 40 now. I know my limits, but one thing i am not, is a complete fucking retard how alot of people are on some of my teams. Its amazing how bad people lack basic common sense. Their awareness or lack of awareness in this game is fucking mind-blowing.

gauze

Molten Core Raider
One of the biggest problems with matchmaking is that the hidden mmr is heavily biased towards dps. Play several games as support and notice your score gains and losses for game wins vs losses, then play awhile as dps and check the difference. It makes really bad dps players have a higher score than they deserve, and also encourages people to play dps even when they are terrible at it.

I feel that, once all this cosmetic shit gets out of the way, we get all of our 2.0 stuff.. they really need to address the community in terms of punishment, and reward.

They need to look at small things, that will help appropriate stats for people like Tanks and Supps. Either shovel Assists in the kill bin, or make their core stat the assist, instead of some off side stat. Add things like Discord, Nano, or Damage boost, apply to the support players damage stat. Add things like for tank, damage taken, as damage absorbed, to help better fit their role. Not only are they there to block damage, theyre there to soak up damage so that other people don't get hit, they provide the HP presence. So forth, make them gold coined stats or something.

I know Kaplan has once said that there is more to MMR and Matchmaking then W/L, but it still feels like its not working full heartily. It's not a simple system by any means, and complicating might not be the answer, but it's going to have to be so that people can get more properly placed.

They also need to address the people who are either deliberately throwing, trolling, upset, or whatever their reason through punishment thats more swift by competitive cooldowns ranging from an hour to a seasonal ban. Shit like that ruins games for others, wastes times, albiet only 15 minutes. But nothing feels worse than a guy locking bastion and sitting in a corner spamming in an easily winning game because the other guy was an asshole.

gauze gauze tell us more stories about Overwatch eCelebs you've encountered! Any run ins with moonmoon?

I can't say i've run in to many this season. My friend is right now in the 3100 gutters because hes been duo queuing w/ a 2800 girl while i'm at school. When we both were 35/37, it was pretty regular, now our games are pretty ass. Most of the time in which I do usually comes from my friend telling me who they are, or if they're an alt of someone else. Another friend said he played moonmoon, and he was terrible but I don't know if I could believe him. I've heard him talk about high level raiding in wow, and it was kinda like questioning a person if they actually played wow but I just let him go on.

I did almost have a game against Taimou, but one of the guys on my team mentioned it was the real taimou and he was dodging, never again did I see him :c

I've played against someone named motiff? Supposedly on splyce, we ended up bodying him pretty bad and someone on our team was shit talking him and telling him why splyce sucked dick. Was funny. I had no idea, I only know splyce because my friend ptr use to be on the team.

I've played against someone named Zonda, and Miro on different occasions but I have no way of verifying that they were real or just copycats so I didn't think much of it, nor can I remember if it was a w/l. I've also played against someone named ryujehong, but i'm certain his name is in chingchong moonspeak and he wasn't playing ana.

I've beaten poke 4 times already this season, one with his girlfriend? which was funny cause we rewatched the vod and I was making her whine. -this fucking hanzo- -OMG- was pretty funny.

I've played with Steel, and jesus hes the epitome of toxic assholes that don't get their way so they troll. I lost a game, purely because Steel didn't want a hanzo on his team, it wasn't meta, he hates playing w/ non meta playing assholes, so he kept troll picking characters. I said fuck it, went roadhog, and he continued to try his hardest but still fucking blew ass blaming everyone else. I've never seen a McCree with such horrible positions at that ranking. By the end of it, everyone was basically making fun of him that he can't play competitive csgo, and calling him out about the whole ibp shit. I was just in awe of how much a piece of shit he was, I mean I heard the toxicity from his stream, and the memes from reddit, but that was my first hand experience. Prior has only been on Faceit for csgo but on the enemy team.

I've played against Shadder2k, i'm usually okay with dealing on focus fire from genji's and winstons but jfc. This guy.. i've never been focused so bad to the point where I just couldn't do anything, I couldn't dodge anywhere, he was just on me at all times. It didn't matter the amount of pocketing, it just sucked ass. Definitely a notable difference in most genji's i've ever played.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Thats all platinum rating though. You must be the guy they talk about when they say exposing raw MMR would confuse people.
Huh? Platinum is 2500-2599.

MMR rating is fairly worthless in a team game were you have retards switching off rein to genji leaving with your team no tank right as your about to hit an objective or retards going both hanzo and wm or going symmetra offense. The only way you can deal with shitheads like that is by not just being good, but by being exponentially better. You have to be able to consistently carry 2 or 3 other people. Very few can do that.

Last edited:

Xevy

Log Wizard
Had a guy in the 2700's today pick Winston against a Roadhog/Reaper team. "Dude, why are you winston, they have to counters?" "No they don't." "REAPER AND ROADHOG" "Dude, those aren't Winston counters."

2700. We almost lost a final round of KOTH 6v5 with that genius and a Torb with lvl 1 turrets.

Xalara

Golden Squire
Got stuck with the same Genji DPS three games in a row who kept trying to flank and was terrible at it. I almost want to tank my MMR back to 2300-2400 since I had a lot of games there that were enjoyable. I'm currently bouncing around 2700-2800.

That said I don't care about losing so much as I wish there weren't so many raging assholes everywhere. I have lost so many games because people refuse to communicate, swap heroes when countered, or both.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
After playing way too much in season 1, and then skipping all of season 2.

I went to the PTR to try Sombra a little, and I think I'll be back for season 3. I missed playing the game...and Legion interest is fading.

I do enjoy the PTR as people are way more relaxed...I think I've seen maybe 2-3 instance of people being impatient, not even to the level where I'd call it raging...so it's a nice experience.

It's also quick play and not competitive....which probably helps, now with the addition of Arcade Mode...Quick Play on the PTR follows the same rule set as Competitive...no hero stacking. This is a really nice change, since I don't like hero stacking so didn't like Quick Play on live and find myself forced to play Competitive. With this change, I might play Quick Play in season 3 which will hopefully be a more relaxed environment. I will certainly play Competitive also, but it will be nice to have another option with the same rule set.

Sombra is probably my favorite now, I just enjoy the way she feels. She's not that great, but I am just having fun with her.

I got the achievement yesterday of Hacking 6 people at once. :)

Almost had the one for hacking 15 people without dying...I was at 12 when I died. :(

One thing that's funny with her, I get gold in healing a lot. Since I hack health pack, I often go back to them for heals, and in some case have fought people while sitting on a fast regen heath pack...I don't think they realize yet that it sometimes out heals their damage. :)

When not available, I go back to Reaper, Tracer, Zarya, Mercy and Symmetra on some maps.

I can't wait for season 3 to start. I should have a decent Sombra by then...I'm up to 6 hours with her on the PTR right now. The biggest thing I need to get better at, is to not forget to put my teleporter down somewhere, or forgetting that it expired. :)

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Well PTR was down, so I had to play the live game. I did my placement matches which I hadn't done yet. Didn't go well, something like 4-6. Ranked Gold with 2131 or something like that.

The nerf to everyone ultimate taking 20% longer to charge is a MASSIVE change to the flow of the game, making it much more interesting in my opinion. It's not a constant stream of ultimate going off all the time like on live.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My client is doing a background download tonight. Is the PTR stuff going live tomorrow?

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
It'll be interesting to see how much this impacts ultimate centric heroes. Thinking Ana and Mei will be hurt a lot more than Rein.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
It would be weird to patch this in a week before season 2 ends. At the same time this weekend is the free to pay weekend so putting in Sombra and the new arcade modes might be a good idea so people who try it get to try it with all the new cool things in.

It might just be the new arcade modes too...since that would have no impact on the season, unlike a new hero and class changes.

Cybsled

It'll be interesting to see how much this impacts ultimate centric heroes. Thinking Ana and Mei will be hurt a lot more than Rein.

Mei's ult always charged pretty fast. Zarya's ult always charged slow as hell, though.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
I disagree heavily it is blind luck. You're at your rating because you deserve to be ranked there. Everyone around you is similarly skilled (or lack thereof) and it is just your own personal ego thinking you're better than all these rando idiots. But it turns out you are also one of these rando idiots. There are some good write ups and videos out there as well dispelling the myth of "But I got gold medals, I carried!" mentality of low ELO players. The real problem is the game doesn't present you enough information to know what exactly is going on. But simply getting golds and still losing means you probably were doing something wrong.

I heard all this same shit in Season 1, practically word for word, and then at the end of the season Blizzard comes out and says exactly what I had been claiming all along, that they were basically fucking over anyone who played a support, Lucio especially. From all reports this is still happening in Season 2, just not as badly. Considering the game has been out for 6 months and this is still an issue, I wouldn't take anything about Blizzard's rankings at face value.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I'm really curious to see how the new game mode will affect Competitive.

Actually, more like the changes to Quick Play which is essentially the same rule set as competitive without the ranking.

If you didn't like hero stacking before you had to play competitive, now you'll be able to play Quick Play.

Otherwise, you can play Arcade: No Limits which is like the current Quick Play that allows hero stacking.

Then there's the 1 vs 1, 3 vs 3, Brawls, etc...

I will still play some competitive, but I think I might end up playing more Quick Play if it's less toxic than Competitive. Right now I just hate hero stacking so I have no options but Competitive.

gauze

Molten Core Raider
I'm happy about QP changes, I basically grind out comp all the time because it's just the better game mode.

I'll be able to play with other friend from all walks of life now, blow steam during prime time.

I was gonna mention, if it wasn't obvious, the whole blind luck thing. I don't know if its much of a secret but avoiding prime time is how you get massive gains. Most of my gains come from around 10pm+ cst, and I don't know about earlier cause I never wake up that early, 10am-4pm cst. When prime time rolls around, it just gets shitter by the minute, esp around the 7-8 time frame. It's luck of the draw around prime time, but after going like 8-0 during the 10-4, i'll easily go like 11-5 at 4-7.

Jman

Trakanon Raider
I haven't been reading the forum but I'm tired of getting stuck with terrible quickplay teams. Is there a FoH group that plays Overwatch on the reg?