Overwatch

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Maybe a solution could be 5 strict roles (1-2-2) and a flex slot where someone is allowed to switch between any role as needed

Or 1-2-1 and 2 flex spots

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Based on that post by Jeff, they should just have heroes that slot into more than 1 role.

I'd like to see Mei/Symm as both DPS/Support too.

This has been my hopes/dreams for this class based shooter since the beginning.. It's why I enjoyed conceptually GOATs, and the original concept behind Symm(shield based supp). It was sad to see them pander, back down, or rewrite based on demands from the community.. I get it, but feels like they are making it hard on themselves to get it right, or find any footing.

I don't mind the fact Zen or Moira dump as much damage as they could, while healing.. Shit just buff/adjust 76s biotic field so be can be a DPS/Supp, while Moira, Zen, and Bap fit Supp/DPS.. Make things like Brig Supp/Tank, and Orisa Tank/Supp.. Adjust the game according to that, giving them percents in each field of 'power'. Design classes around being Pure DPS or Tank. Even some classes that are tryptic, where they do a little bit of everything, but nothing too great or too bad.

It would definitely open up team compositions a little bit more, even with the current 2/2/2. While queuing up as DPS main, you could still rock a zen.. The team know that zen is DPS, but the extra heals become appreciate differently. Obviously heroes would need buffs/adjustments/nerfs to more accurately reflect the idea.

Last edited:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Gonna be the naysayer and say I don't think that sounds good. Also Baptiste is a s76 support.

Something they could do is sliding talents to adjust roles I guess.

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, I mean it would take a lot for that to work.. It's just more, they shoehorned their creativity when they submitted themselves to all supports must heal. I was more ecstatic thinking of what could be possible by bringing different types of abilities to each role. Healing tanks, like roadhog, or healing dps like 76, sombra, and reaper.. But support, ultimately just heal.. Some better than others.

The struggle with supports now is that they have to be dialed back in the part that makes them "fun" for some, which is the pew with the heal. Huge boost to Ana's play way back was because she could two(3?) tap with ez, plus some.. Then Moira was a must because she basically outdps/self healed in many cases, now bap is said to have more? dps than 76. I don't know the truth to that specifically, but thats what my gm/master friends say when I join them for some games.

Tanks and Supps are just stuck because there isn't many options for them. If they doubled the supp and tank pools, it'd be a different story; for sure.. But you have 16 heroes a dps can pick from, while tanks and supports have half of that.

There have been points in the past, not all of which I can name.. But where even the game as a support popped off as both a dps, and heals. Ryughehong or whatever, during early day Ana as nasty. Watching him play between Healing and DPS. There was once a Zen early who was popping off high in the damage charts, even sometimes beating the dps and/or getting critical picks. I'm sure there have been moments of outstanding moira plays, and I'm sure we will see bap do some amazing dps/picks if he continues as so.

Last edited:

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The thing with DPS is Jeff envisioned the offense heroes to be only picked on offense, and then the defense heroes to be only picked on defense. They didn't predict that either side would be picked for a side they weren't intended to be on. This is why there is a glut of DPS heroes. I like Tigoles don't get me wrong, but he's made some pretty naive assumptions about the player base. Another stroke of dumbassness was he thought toxicity wasn't going to be much of an issue with the game.

gauze

Molten Core Raider
I'm familiar. It's why I've only really said anything about supp.. I don't know what you can do to make tanks fun, I don't know how anyone found most of the tanks to be at all fun.

But real reason to post on that, could you imagine if the applied the lock to that aswell? Only play Offense when on the attacking side, and defense while defending. Would have been interesting. Terrible. But interesting.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I played a bit last night with the new patch. Dive seemed to be back to some extent with the D'va buff, there's still some Zarya/Rein or Sigma/Orissa but I saw a lot of D'va and some Winston too for which I am happy since I love playing Winston.

I played some Mei, and she seems to be viable still. The slow nerf is noticeable, but it's still effective. The rest of her toolkit is still good, right click is good, wall is good, ice block is good, and her ultimate still works.

All in all I had fun, saw a lot more variety with Dive being back while the other tank combo were still viable. It might be a bit early to tell, but they might have achieved a decent balance in the tank right now.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Mei is still fine I feel. I saw more dive but I think the newness will wear off again soon.

I'm just playing ball, fuck it

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Got demoted to silver because I just can't break these teams. I tank and something that makes zero sense to me is the other tank 90% of the time instalocks zarya or hog. The only thing I can think is they're dps queueing for tank. This forces me into a position where I either main tank or I half ass main tank with sigma which is my best hero. My alternate is Hammond, and I'm pretty good with him, but it's almost like picking genji. I might as well be a black guy in the south in the 50s. Even when people see he works out, the first time they see a fight go wrong they blame you

Just gonna play ball and mute team chat

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I played a few hours last, all Mei, all the time. Climbed to just under 2400SR.

In 2 of the games, the game starts, I wall off the enemy Reinhardt, we kill him, rinse and repeat a few times before they even reached point A, and then Soandso has left the game, yes it's the enemy Reinhardt. I guess I triggered him, it almost bring a tear of joy to my eye. :)

I love Mei so much. :)

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
It's so nice Sigma is actually a worthwhile shield tank.

For years the only tank I felt I could play well is Dva and she is only useful as a brawler/offtank

And fuck ball. Shitting on ball makes me happy.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Tons of rumors going around that hero bans is coming soon to Overwatch.

I'm really curious to see how this will work in competitive where 6 strangers on a team that barely communicate will decide on which hero to ban.

Also with so few tanks and supports, banning one will have a huge impact on the already limited option for those 2 roles.

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
Widow will be banned from 99% of all games.

Just remove that trash character from the game completely.

It is never fun to get 1 shot out of nowhere and frankly I never want a widow on my team since they will be off playing sniper games instead of working together to complete the objective.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
DPS is sure to get focused but I wouldn't be surprised to see a fair amount of shield tanks banned...

If you main a DPS you're going to focus those.

But yea, I'd probably do Widow 99% anyway. 1-shots are too frustrating.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It really depends on the elo. At lower Elo's I suspect it'll be Widow, Bastion, Hanzo, or Orisa. At higher elo's the players know how to deal with Widow and Bastion. If you watch Harbleu's stream he makes very short work of any Widow on Hammond. At higher elo's, it'll be Orisa/Hanzo/Mei/Baptiste.

In GM, if you see a one trick on the other team, that one trick's hero will be banned.