Oxygen Not Included

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
He has his own chat server that brainstorms and refines ideas. So it's not like he's a one-man show coming up with all those hyper-sophisticated engineering marvels in ONI.

oh shiz I didn't know that will block him from my youtube asap and also report him

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
oh shiz I didn't know that will block him from my youtube asap and also report him

I'm not flinging shade you douche, I watch most of his vids and recommend them to people. Was just pointing out that he has his own private think tank that helps him come up with those crazy engineering setups.

• 1Solidarity

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Built my first petroleum boiler a while back but I'm pretty proud of the design (brothgar inspired) so I decided to brag here. Been working great for over 400 cycles. The slight liquid pump damage was from the start up. One eruption didn't have enough heat to convert enough oil for it to puddle at the bottom so my temp sensor for the failover automation was sitting in vacuum.

Stuff in direct contact with the magma is insulated igneous and steel, all the tempshift plates in the volcano are diamond the ones from the boiler are gold, all the metal tiles not in direct contact with magma are aluminum and the piping is radiant gold and insulated igneous. There's 100 Kg/Tile of Ethanol Gas in that Volcano, shit solidifies instantly on the neutronium.

Temp sensor on top is at above 405C, temp sensor at the pump is at 205C and acts as a failsafe to activate the steam turbine and not overheat the steel pump. The Liquid sensor on the right will stop the flow of crude oil if the pipes are backed up (should add a filter gate to that).

Oil comes in at -32C (playing on Rime) and ends up at around 350C in the radiant pipes. The converted petroleum comes out at 60-80C. This system will handle crude oil under ~250C with the steam turbine at full power and heat it up to ~380C.

V2 would be to find a way to get the igneous rock out of it and dump the heat into some steam to get it out of the system at ~125C and generate some extra power from it.

wMABQjI.jpg

l8vnsUC.jpg

REpVcxc.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Intropy

Shit Gamer
Looks really cool! I've never built anything this complex yet and have been intentionally avoiding looking at builds online until after I finish the release game. Can you explain what the doors that are between the metal plates do?

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
It's a quirk of the game engine. When you close any automatic doors, anything between them should move up or down but if there isn't any space (filled tiles all around), then everything gets destroyed. So when they open again, there's a vacuum in there and that's a perfect insulator. Closing the doors enable the heat transfer to happen. It's a very simple way to regulate the temperature transfer for a steam turbine or other uses.

So what I did there is link the doors with automation to a temperature sensor and set that sensor to above 405C. So if there's 300C in there, the doors will close and the heat from the metal tiles will transfer through the doors (also metal) to the other row of metal tiles and those will heat up the crude oil. If it hits 405C, the doors will open and the heat transfer will stop because of the vacuum between them. As the ~350C crude oil drips on the tiles it will absorb some heat and lower the temp again under 405C so the doors will close again to enable the heat transfer.

This temperature sensor is also linked to a liquid valve so while the doors are closed it means we're under the desired temperature so the valve is closed and doesn't allow anymore crude oil to come in. This avoids cooling the system further and getting crude oil in your petroleum waterfall thingie.

A few other things I forgot to mention, I'm using granite tombstones because they're 800kg of thermal mass and you can place tempshift plates behind them. This helps a lot keeping the temperature steady as right after an eruption you've got ~1200C ethanol gas and flicking unpowered doors on and off will still heat up the upper metal times from ~390C to ~650C which is sour gas territory and annoying as fuck. My first iteration had a single row of insulated tiles and those got heated up to 600C so I was converting pockets of sour gas here and there. Took a while to figure that one out.

I'm also using 1600kg of Molten Lead as a heatsink at the bottom of the 3 Tombstones also to avoid any sourgas conversion. In total I have 4 x 800kg tombstones + 10 x 800kg tempshift plates + 2 x 800kg as Molten Lead from 2 x Lead tempshift plates.

This took about 3-4 hours to come up in debug mode before building it ingame. Still had to open it up twice to fix / modify stuff.

Intropy

Shit Gamer
It's a quirk of the game engine. When you close any automatic doors, anything between them should move up or down but if there isn't any space (filled tiles all around), then everything gets destroyed. So when they open again, there's a vacuum in there and that's a perfect insulator. Closing the doors enable the heat transfer to happen. It's a very simple way to regulate the temperature transfer for a steam turbine or other uses.

That's really interesting, I would have assumed that the open door would still transfer heat but obviously that's not how it works based on what you're saying. One frustrating part of doing a blind play through is that there seem to be a ton of hidden mechanics like that which seem critical to enabling certain builds. I have a sandbox for testing things before I put them into my real base, but stuff like this I would just never stumble across on my own even with the sandbox for prototyping.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Why is this the single greatest PC game to release in the past, at minimum, decade? I just keep coming back to it, pouring hours into it. I've never made it to the surface. This game I've hit almost 200 cycles, the furthest I've ever gotten. My base has become a bit overwhelmingly large and difficult to coordinate, especially since i"ve been keeping myself to 9 dupes so far.

Screen cap of the majority of my base here (spoilered for extra bigness). Starting to plan to reformulate much of it now that I'm in a stable place food and heat and energy wise.

oni.PNG

khorum

Murder Apologist
Why is this the single greatest PC game to release in the past, at minimum, decade? I just keep coming back to it, pouring hours into it. I've never made it to the surface. This game I've hit almost 200 cycles, the furthest I've ever gotten. My base has become a bit overwhelmingly large and difficult to coordinate, especially since i"ve been keeping myself to 9 dupes so far.

Screen cap of the majority of my base here (spoilered for extra bigness). Starting to plan to reformulate much of it now that I'm in a stable place food and heat and energy wise.

Getting to space isn't too bad once you've got a good steel production system going. With that much saltwater you can kill like 3 birds with one stone with the first tier of rockets too (steam rockets).

Just find some steady heat source (i use the magma at the bottom but you can use a few refineries), pipe the hot coolant through a loop back into the refineries until they hit about 300 degrees and feed it into the steam chamber. But in the steam chamber you want a steel autosweeper and a steel material receptacle so that when you feed saltwater into the steam chamber you get the steam to power a turbine AND to fuel a steam rocket and you get salt to produce oxygen with through a rust oxidizer.

• 1Solidarity

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yeah I picked the salt water asteroid because I am the salty one and I hit paydirt with that massive salt ocean.

Metaphor for my whole life there.

Good advice Ill try to figure out how to actually do all that stuff lol

• 1Worf

khorum

Murder Apologist
Looks like you're about to get temperature problems in your core soon lol.

You wanna keep big carbon and heat generating things outside a clean biome. I made the starting biome and like the central core of the map enclosed with insulated tile and put everything that generates heat or co2 outside. I put the coal generators in a room that's sealed off with a waterlock so the co2 just piles up in there. Just build steel tiles around it when it starts taking pressure damage.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I started with a sealed enclosed biome with temp shifted plates and shit, and I've got water in radiative pipes flowing through the whole core, but yeah, I need to find better and more efficient ways to design my base from the get go so I avoid making mistakes like that. I definitely had too many heat generating devices inside the enclosed biome.

• 1Worf

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
On my current colony (that i havent touched in months) I don't think i teched up past hamster wheels until about turn 200.

• 1Solidarity

khorum

Murder Apologist
Yeah I stay with wheels until i got 2 stables of hatches. Then it's coal + hatch poop until i can build steam turbines.

• 1Solidarity

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I was mostly wheels til I had to start filtering water and cycling it through the base trying to cool it down, then I made a single coal generator that was powering much of my base but was built in a way that wasn't conducive to growth really. Needs to be centralized along two vertical corridors or something, run the main power down the ladders then run off the smaller power lines through the transformers to each section.

I'm sticking with the same map for awhile so I can get a feel for pre planning how to construct my base in a manner that makes expansion easier

• 1Worf

khorum

Murder Apologist
Yeah if you can turn it around and save your colony, that's the central confict in the game. Unfortunately some things like "cycling hot water through my base to cool it down" is something you could only fix 50 cycles ago :p I enjoyed starting over with a new idea even if my current base was doing ok tho.

I usually enclose my whole base with at least 1 layer of insulated tile, 2 if the neighboring biome is hot, then build an airlock area somewhere in the middle that all my dupes HAVE to use to get to work in cold/hot/slimy biomes.

waterlock.png

You can build the waterlock long before you have the exo suits and it would protect your habitat area from unbreathable gases/slimelung. Then you want all the heat/co2 generating buildings OUTSIDE your habitat area.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
I'm just waiting for this game to go on sale on steam. Hoping it will be on sale for the Halloween sale. It seems like it's going to be crazy complicated but definitely looking forward to learning it!

• 1Solidarity

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Just picked this game up. Wow it's good.. such fun and surprisingly complex underneath the surface. Helps that i havent played many games of this type before so it's very new and I'm sure I'm stuffing everything up!

• 1Solidarity

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I tried to buy it a few weeks ago when it was shown as coming out of alpha or whatever. My steam balance was less than a nickel short. Guess I need to try it again, or maybe wait till it goes down in price a nickel lol.