Pacific Rim

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
so let me get this straight. missiles, bombs and tactical nukes are ineffective against the monsters, but a robot using a tanker as a club is?
Its like Pokemon. These things are immune to everything except melee.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
so let me get this straight. missiles, bombs and tactical nukes are ineffective against the monsters, but a robot using a tanker as a club is?
From what I've read, it does. A nuke will drop these things no problem. In fact, the first few that get defeated were nuked. The problem was that most of our conventional weapons that reach the energy ranges that can actually hurt these things, are designed to inflict wide spread casualties (Designed for killing humans). While our precise munitions (sub 500lbs bombs, or even anti-personal/vehicular munitions) don't do shit. So even without nukes, we end up destroying a whole city before we can kill them because most of our weapons can't direct force well enough. And since these things come out of the ocean near cities, this is a problem.

That's what was said in one of the little documentaries. Overall though, yeah, I agree, building a giant robot isnotthe most intuitive way of redesigning our weapon systems to kill big, heavily armored targets. Seems like expanding on how we build say, anti-tank missiles would be better and then launching said missiles/munitions from swarms of drones, would be, overall, more effective than a giant robot. (And if we did go giant robot route...you'd figure they'd at least build like a huge carbon fiber based pike, or spear or something--why are they just using fists?)

That being said, I love monster movies. I love giant robot anime. Still excited. But I still laugh whenever the actors say "this is going to be a pretty gritty tale of how we might react if we were really attacked by these things!"--No, derp derp. If you're fighting giant monsters, the more effective defense would probably be swarm tactics.

fucker_sl

shitlord
From what I've read, it does. A nuke will drop these things no problem. In fact, the first few that get defeated were nuked. The problem was that most of our conventional weapons that reach the energy ranges that can actually hurt these things, are designed to inflict wide spread casualties (Designed for killing humans). While our precise munitions (sub 500lbs bombs, or even anti-personal/vehicular munitions) don't do shit. So even without nukes, we end up destroying a whole city before we can kill them because most of our weapons can't direct force well enough. And since these things come out of the ocean near cities, this is a problem.

That's what was said in one of the little documentaries. Overall though, yeah, I agree, building a giant robot isnotthe most intuitive way of redesigning our weapon systems to kill big, heavily armored targets. Seems like expanding on how we build say, anti-tank missiles would be better and then launching said missiles/munitions from swarms of drones, would be, overall, more effective than a giant robot. (And if we did go giant robot route...you'd figure they'd at least build like a huge carbon fiber based pike, or spear or something--why are they just using fists?)

That being said, I love monster movies. I love giant robot anime. Still excited. But I still laugh whenever the actors say "this is going to be a pretty gritty tale of how we might react if we were really attacked by these things!"--No, derp derp. If you're fighting giant monsters, the more effective defense would probably be swarm tactics.
as much as the rationalist in me agrees with you, and would consider moving every city inland so we have warning/time/territory and can nuke them as soon as they pop their head out of the water....i say fuck it. Give me more giant robots

Brikker

Trump's Staff
This is going to be a fun movie. Much needed after the recent shitty sci-fi we've been getting like Prometheus.

fucker_sl

shitlord
yeah. go back 1 year and we were all pretty excited by this new sunrise of the scifi genre. Prometheus, Oblivion, After Earth. Movies were popping one after another. It was supposed to be a glorious year for scifi and see how it turned out /sadface

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Give me more giant robots
Which is the real point right? I'm sure this could suck ass in a million ways, but at least this one no one is going in expecting a great script, casting, acting or anything else but fucking Godzilla vs. MechWarrior style special effects extravaganza.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
yeah. go back 1 year and we were all pretty excited by this new sunrise of the scifi genre. Prometheus, Oblivion, After Earth. Movies were popping one after another. It was supposed to be a glorious year for scifi and see how it turned out /sadface
You were excited by After Earth?

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gaming Ghost>
Prometheus made it a glorious year and there's still Elysium and Europa Report for this year

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Prometheus made it a glorious year and there's still Elysium and Europa Report for this year
I'm excited for the for the 15th year anniversary of The Abyss coming up. Hopefully they do some sort of release of a edition with new features. Will probably be the best scifi we get in the next 2 years until the Prometheus sequel comes out.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
This will be boring. We need a robot story with fucked up kids who jizz on other kids put in hospitals because their mothers hanged themselves. We need religious apocrypha, gay undertones, and an exploration on the meaning of existence viewed through the eyes of deep clinical depression. We need Evangelion.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
This will be boring. We need a robot story with fucked up kids who jizz on other kids put in hospitals because their mothers hanged themselves. We need religious apocrypha, gay undertones, and an exploration on the meaning of existence viewed through the eyes of deep clinical depression. We need Evangelion.
so deep.
3edgy5me

fucker_sl

shitlord
You were excited by After Earth?
no idea why you had to reply 2 times but whatever. To answer your question: yes, at the beginning i was...when we knew nothing about it. All we knew it was a scifi action movie with will smith. Only after we learned it was another fusion of Mylahsahshallahyan trainwreck directing, Scientology brainwashing campaign, and will smith's trying to forcefeed his little brat to the audience

you can read my comments about it in the after earth discussion

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>

That being said, I love monster movies. I love giant robot anime. Still excited. But I still laugh whenever the actors say "this is going to be a pretty gritty tale of how we might react if we were really attacked by these things!"--No, derp derp.If you're fighting giant monsters, the more effective defense would probably be swarm tactics.
What are we crazian?!