Pacific Rim

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
one thing that separates these mechs/jaegers is that GdT wanted each one to look different, which is great! i mean michael bay destroyed my childhood as well, i'm a transformers fan and i couldn't tell the difference between starscream vs. megatron.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Voltron and Transformers are both shitty fucking 80's throwbacks to shows that were about selling toys to retarded prepubescent boys, so its not a big deal that they got "ruined". The stupid ass nostalgiac love of Thudercats and Masters of the Universe goes here too.

Mountains of Madness however, yes please. With hard R rating!

Anyway, another good review, minor spoilers:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/pacif...view:1:Default

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Just sitting in for a screening of this right now - will post after for immediate reaction. Pumped.

Triangular_sl

shitlord
Just sitting in for a screening of this right now - will post after for immediate reaction. Pumped.
smile.png

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Honestly I want him to do Hellboy 3 and make a nice trilogy. The cut "bonus ending" for HB2 suggested it was going to use the Nazi brains in robots idea ;P

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Honestly I want him to do Hellboy 3 and make a nice trilogy. The cut "bonus ending" for HB2 suggested it was going to use the Nazi brains in robots idea ;P
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/en...-29407078.html

09 JULY 2013

Guillermo del Toro has admitted that it's "unlikely" that Hellboy 3 will get made, because he can't get the financing for it.

The Pacific Rim filmmaker revealed he has the story already planned for the third instalment of the comic book films, and insisted he will continue to try to get the money to get the movie made.

"We are still working on the financing, so far no luck! But we won't give up," he told the Guardian.

He also told Collider: "It's very unlikely it'll happen because you need things to converge so strongly. You need so many things to confluence and then you need about 150 million US dollars."

Ron Perlman starred as Hellboy in the 2004 film, followed by a sequel, The Golden Army, in 2008.

Guillermo revealed that the third film would stand out from the previous two.

"The way Hellboy 1 and Hellboy 2 are very different from each other, Hellboy 3 is different enough from the other two that it wouldn't feel like the same universe in scale. He does become the beast of the apocalypse," he continued.

"But seeing the apocalypse is getting more and more - the bar is raised higher and higher every year; mass destruction is becoming the sport of the summer."

The Mexican filmmaker also said he would try to turn HP Lovecraft's novel At The Mountains Of Madness into a film, which Tom Cruise was attached to star in. He started developing it in 2006 and has written a screenplay with Matthew Robbins, but talks with studios have fallen through.

"We are still going to try and get Mountains made. We generated hundreds of pieces of art that are heartbreakingly beautiful. We are not going to give up," he said.

DMK_sl

shitlord
Just finished watching it. It's pretty good in a lot of ways and bad in some. Some of the acting is pretty bad. The fights are un fucken believably cool. Story is ok. The script is pretty bad. It's like a nod to an 80's B grade monster movie at times and other just straight up cheesy.

The awesome fight scenes far out way the shit tho. Just leave your brain at the door and enjoy the mayhem IMO.

DMK_sl

shitlord
Hrmm I tried to stay away from the trailers but there's a solid amount of fighting in it. Act 2-3 slows down a bit then ramps right up. So I guess there's definitely bits you didn't see in the trailer. There are times when you are like "but why the fuck didn't they think of..." then the sheer awesomeness just makes you forget about what you were about to whinge about.

Troll_sl

shitlord
Going to go see it with my brain turned completely off and enjoy the fuck out of it. Because giant robots fighting giant monsters.

fucker_sl

shitlord
my question was about the ammount of action scenes spoilered by the trailers, not about the quality of the movie. IE - did we already see all the fights ?

velk

Trakanon Raider
my question was about the ammount of action scenes spoilered by the trailers, not about the quality of the movie. IE - did we already see all the fights ?
Not even remotely close. There's a heap of fantastic action.

As a movie overall it was only decent - it's no dark knight or avengers.

As a robot fighting spectacle though, it is 100% top notch. All of the transformers movie's action scenes combined wish they had even half the impact. It's true that almost all the fighting is in the dark, rain or underwater, but that is nowhere near as bad as it sounds, you can always clearly see what's going on. There's no tiny frame close up cuts and shaky cam covering everything with this one.

The 3D is fantastic, although as a warning, one of my friends left after 10 minutes due to motion sickness ( he watches 3D fairly regularly so it was pretty unusual ).

Realism nitpickers will be overjoyed* to find that the boat as a weapon scene is not even the third most outrageous abuse of the laws of physics in the movie 8)

The australian accents were outrageously bad, but this didn't seem limited to the aussies, every character in the movie seemed to be trying out some random wacky accent.

The acting is ok, other than the two scientists who were indescribably awful, but it's not like the rest of the cast get much chance to show range in any case. Trying to convey emotion through a full face helmet is not easy at the best of times ;p

* Let's face it, if you are a realism nitpicker watching this movie you are only doing it so you can bitch about it afterwards ! ;p