Packages and the delivery of them/stolen etc

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus and I watched that video and laughed our assess off. We have a real concern about this for us because she runs her business out of the house and is constantly getting shipments from Japan. I've already starting looking at if the "custom circuit boards" could be approximated using a Raspberry Pi and/or arduinos.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Got a Ring doorbell and stuck the Ring sign right next to my front door and that has kept the porch pirates at bay. The sign is really what does it though, as I've seen hispanics (and it's always hispanics) make a 180 halfway up my driveway when they spot it. Meanwhile, not a day goes by where someone in the neighborhood doesn't post a stolen package message on Nextdoor.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
My reason for having everything delivered to work used to be simply because they would always try to deliver when I wasn't home, and it became a huge pain in the ass. Now I'm more worried about thieves, and the shitty fucking Amazon delivery drivers are the worst. I'll get a "handed directly to addressee" on their site, and since I clearly don't have it, I go look outside. Yep, there it is. Another time they delivered it to work, when we were clearly closed for the weekend, and they left it at the fucking front door. Fortunately a coworker stopped by and saw it. If I could guarantee that UPS or FedEx or even USPS were the deliverers, I'd feel a lot better about the security of my packages, but those "independent contractors" are legit fucking retarded. I am super fortunate to have a work that doesn't care if I get anything and everything delivered here. In fact, today my new memory foam mattress, pillows, bedding, etc. is being delivered! I hope I can stuff it all into my car. That's the one downside, but I'll take it.

• 1Like

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Got a Ring doorbell and stuck the Ring sign right next to my front door and that has kept the porch pirates at bay. The sign is really what does it though, as I've seen hispanics (and it's always hispanics) make a 180 halfway up my driveway when they spot it. Meanwhile, not a day goes by where someone in the neighborhood doesn't post a stolen package message on Nextdoor.
I've pondered getting one of those (or the Nest equivalent) for a while, but the operating temperatures are a problem up here. The actual doorbell part is probably fine but the camera has issues with really low temps (like below -20) and, well, welcome to Canada. Shit gets cold here. I keep waiting for someone I know to buy one and see if it works in temps that low.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I've pondered getting one of those (or the Nest equivalent) for a while, but the operating temperatures are a problem up here. The actual doorbell part is probably fine but the camera has issues with really low temps (like below -20) and, well, welcome to Canada. Shit gets cold here. I keep waiting for someone I know to buy one and see if it works in temps that low.

I have a friend in Montreal and he says his works fine down to about -25C or so.

Ring Doorbell Cold Weather - ShaunMerrigan.infoShaunMerrigan.info

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
I've always lived pretty rural, so it was a huge surprise when I read that this is a massive problem in the burbs and inner cities.

I mean I'm so rural that I rarely lock the door because nobody apart from drunk farmers are passing my house.

I'm not quite that rural, but yeah.

There was a story last year. some woman in raleigh got in trouble because she was leaving boxes of dog shit on neighborhood porches in retaliation to this sort of theft. I guess she forgot to tell the neighbors.

I dunno. Pretty sure you'd go to jail if you left a pipe bomb in a box on your porch though and some thief blew his finger off picking it up. Might not though, there was a guy in NY that booby-trapped his car and electrocuted a repo man about 10 years ago and got aquitted.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. I have a bit of a hard-on for the Nest stuff because the rest of my house is Nest equipped, but will definitely consider the Ring Pro at this point.

Yeah I have the Nest thermostats, but at the time I bought them they didn't make doorbells/cameras. I've heard their cameras are great, but haven't heard much about their doorbells. Either way, I use a WINK to control everything from a single app, so the use of multiple vendors doesn't introduce the need to juggle multiple apps. Whatever you do, just try and make sure you get a hard wired doorbell. The battery models are a pain 'cause you need to take them off the wall and charge them every 3 months or so.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
We have a different issue. There's a house about a couple miles from us that has exactly the same street address, and a similarly named street, and our packages get delivered there sometimes. The issue is, we know those people, and they never bloody let us know. They just keep the packages. Every time we have a missing package, we go and ask them, and they say, "Oh, yeah, here it is." Of course, it's already opened even though it has our name on it. I asked them to please let us know if they get our packages, but they never do. Totally pisses me off. I'm tempted to mark a box of horse shit for us and leave it on their porch.

• 1Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
We have a different issue. There's a house about a couple miles from us that has exactly the same street address, and a similarly named street, and our packages get delivered there sometimes. The issue is, we know those people, and they never bloody let us know. They just keep the packages. Every time we have a missing package, we go and ask them, and they say, "Oh, yeah, here it is." Of course, it's already opened even though it has our name on it. I asked them to please let us know if they get our packages, but they never do. Totally pisses me off. I'm tempted to mark a box of horse shit for us and leave it on their porch.
do you get their packages?

is the difference

1111 Trump St.
ny,ny 10038

vs.

1111 Trump Ave.
ny,ny 10038

I had that issue in jersey, it was a postal redirect issue from when i moved there and would reset to fuck up every year, and i had to redirect it again.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
We never get their packages. It's a street that starts with the same letters and has similar letters afterward, even though it is totally different words. I've reported this to UPS countless times, too. They don't care.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
We never get their packages. It's a street that starts with the same letters and has similar letters afterward, even though it is totally different words. I've reported this to UPS countless times, too. They don't care.
if my neighbors started opening my packages and not telling me they got them. i would probably snap and bust their fucking windows, but if i didnt snap, then i would just call the police and file theft charges.

Fedor

<Banned>

plRjjSq.png

• 2WTF
  • 2RAGE
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

I've never seen a black UPS driver, even during xmas (when they have a ride a long help cuz of all the packages), probably cuz they do this shit all the time... they must think THEY are losing money by NOT stealing the packages, it must be law or sumthin.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
My reason for having everything delivered to work used to be simply because they would always try to deliver when I wasn't home, and it became a huge pain in the ass. Now I'm more worried about thieves, and the shitty fucking Amazon delivery drivers are the worst. I'll get a "handed directly to addressee" on their site, and since I clearly don't have it, I go look outside. Yep, there it is. Another time they delivered it to work, when we were clearly closed for the weekend, and they left it at the fucking front door. Fortunately a coworker stopped by and saw it. If I could guarantee that UPS or FedEx or even USPS were the deliverers, I'd feel a lot better about the security of my packages, but those "independent contractors" are legit fucking retarded. I am super fortunate to have a work that doesn't care if I get anything and everything delivered here. In fact, today my new memory foam mattress, pillows, bedding, etc. is being delivered! I hope I can stuff it all into my car. That's the one downside, but I'll take it.

I have tons of problems with Fedex and UPS as well. Nothing like being home all day to get a message that your stuff was delivered to the office. Fuckers don't even come to the door most of the time.

I was surprised at how many people were out there stealing his packages. Fucking scum. Texas is the only state that has this right. Shoot the fuckers.

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
if my neighbors started opening my packages and not telling me they got them. i would probably snap and bust their fucking windows, but if i didnt snap, then i would just call the police and file theft charges.
Isnt messing with someone else's mail a Federal Crime in the US? Do packages counts for that sort of thing?
Also i would be interested in the legality of booby trapping a package. I seem to remember that booby-trapping your own home against burglars was a nono.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Last Saturday, I was expecting 2-3 packages to be delivered. I even got the text message on my phone that said they had just been dropped off. I walk out to the front door, nothing there. I wait a few hours, nothing arrives. I go on Amazon and they have fuck-all in the way of customer service to even deal with this issue.

A few days go by, nothing shows up, and I am pretty much resigned to the fact that I got robbed. Then, last night, I go out to my garage to get something and I find a pile of Amazon boxes inside my garage, hiding behind the door that goes back into my house. WTF? How the? Why the? Oh, who cares...

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Isnt messing with someone else's mail a Federal Crime in the US? Do packages counts for that sort of thing?
Also i would be interested in the legality of booby trapping a package. I seem to remember that booby-trapping your own home against burglars was a nono.
its a crime, but i dunno if you need intent, if you can porve it wasnt an accident then its probably hard to do. but i would file theft charges anyway and hope for at least to the cops knock on their door and scare these fucks a little.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Last Saturday, I was expecting 2-3 packages to be delivered. I even got the text message on my phone that said they had just been dropped off. I walk out to the front door, nothing there. I wait a few hours, nothing arrives. I go on Amazon and they have fuck-all in the way of customer service to even deal with this issue.

A few days go by, nothing shows up, and I am pretty much resigned to the fact that I got robbed. Then, last night, I go out to my garage to get something and I find a pile of Amazon boxes inside my garage, hiding behind the door that goes back into my house. WTF? How the? Why the? Oh, who cares...
exact thing happened to me after i ordered black friday stuff, i checked the tracked the package and it sad it wasnt delivered but will be here by 8pm. i check ever 20 minutes til 8pm same message. i figure its coming the next day. i check later to see if the message changed. it did. it said the package was delivered to my front door at 3:24pm. i was like WTF? it was midnight and like 20 degrees outside , so i threw on my coat and shoes and took a flashlight to check the front. nothing. i decided my package was stolen, i was about to go in when i had a thought. i went into my yard and sure enough, the package was sitting by the cellar entrance of my house covered with an old newspaper circular that must have blown in my yard. fucking insane.

• 1Like