Packages and the delivery of them/stolen etc

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
exact thing happened to me after i ordered black friday stuff, i checked the tracked the package and it sad it wasnt delivered but will be here by 8pm. i check ever 20 minutes til 8pm same message. i figure its coming the next day. i check later to see if the message changed. it did. it said the package was delivered to my front door at 3:24pm. i was like WTF? it was midnight and like 20 degrees outside , so i threw on my coat and shoes and took a flashlight to check the front. nothing. i decided my package was stolen, i was about to go in when i had a thought. i went into my yard and sure enough, the package was sitting by the cellar entrance of my house covered with an old newspaper circular that must have blown in my yard. fucking insane.
probably UPS man looking out for you.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Pepperidge Farms remembers when postal services would find one of your neighbors who was home, delivery it to them and leave a slip in your box telling you who had your package.

Its no longer the Norman Rockwell world.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, but the fucking delivery guy had to of broke into my god damn garage... lol.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
probably UPS man looking out for you.
yeah, and i appreciated that, but it might have helped if he fucking told me he did that, put a note on my door, something. instead he wrote it was delivered to the front door on the UPS website. i remember when these people used to call you on the phone to tell you the package was delivered. i guess those days are over.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
My house is perfect for deliveries. My front door isnt really visible from the street as the garage is in the way and theres a patio in front of my house that is enclosed by a 4 foot solid brick wall. Still even with a hell of a lot of space to easily conceal a package from a porch pirate morons will still occasionally just leave the package at the gate where its painfully obvious from patrolling porch pirates. Thankfully never had a package stolen ever.

Fadaar

That guy
My apartment complex has outdoor mail boxes with the larger package delivery boxes that you access via the key placed in your mailbox. They also have an indoor electronic package dropoff that you can either login with name/password or scan a QR code or some shit. Don't think I've had anything delivered to my door in over a year. Kinda sucks but I also never have to worry about losing anything unless they put the outdoor key in someone else's mailbox. Which of course, has happened once. Thankfully it was something cheap, think it was some fan filters when I upgraded my desktop.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
My reason for having everything delivered to work used to be simply because they would always try to deliver when I wasn't home, and it became a huge pain in the ass. Now I'm more worried about thieves, and the shitty fucking Amazon delivery drivers are the worst. I'll get a "handed directly to addressee" on their site, and since I clearly don't have it, I go look outside. Yep, there it is. Another time they delivered it to work, when we were clearly closed for the weekend, and they left it at the fucking front door. Fortunately a coworker stopped by and saw it. If I could guarantee that UPS or FedEx or even USPS were the deliverers, I'd feel a lot better about the security of my packages, but those "independent contractors" are legit fucking retarded. I am super fortunate to have a work that doesn't care if I get anything and everything delivered here. In fact, today my new memory foam mattress, pillows, bedding, etc. is being delivered! I hope I can stuff it all into my car. That's the one downside, but I'll take it.
I've been getting those for the last two months on every delivery. I'm wondering what the liability on that ends up being when it says "handed off directly" and you claim you never got it.

In fact, just this week I panicked a bit. Was getting a new Roku stick and it said handed off. There was nothing outside. Turns out they somehow fit it in the mailbox.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
stealing holiday packages and looting after a disaster, two things that if caught red handed, should be punishable death after a trial that by law can only enough time for the law to present the proof for the record.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
yeah, and i appreciated that, but it might have helped if he fucking told me he did that, put a note on my door, something. instead he wrote it was delivered to the front door on the UPS website. i remember when these people used to call you on the phone to tell you the package was delivered. i guess those days are over.

Yeah, make calls on 16 million packages delivered in a day outside of the holiday season. that's a productive option.

• 3Salty
  • 2Picard
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Inque

FunEmployed
UPS and USPS in my area are complete shit, they do not adhere to apartment complex delivery to office and any shipments I've had registered under UPS MyChoice or USPS to deliver to office or hold at post office, they just drop them off on my door. I've had 3 packages stolen since Black Friday, and Best Buy was kind enough to reship the items but required signatures; Once again, the packages were signed for by the driver because according to UPS "they can use their discretion" even though it specifically requires a signature AND I was instructed to use MyChoice to prevent mishaps. Never had any problems with FedEx, ever, they at least use common sense. And I've had a couple clients whose phones shipped this week that were stolen because the signature requirement is signed by the UPS driver and not the guest, package was dropped off in front of door when nobody was home and voila, stolen.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
UPS and USPS in my area are complete shit, they do not adhere to apartment complex delivery to office and any shipments I've had registered under UPS MyChoice or USPS to deliver to office or hold at post office, they just drop them off on my door. I've had 3 packages stolen since Black Friday, and Best Buy was kind enough to reship the items but required signatures; Once again, the packages were signed for by the driver because according to UPS "they can use their discretion" even though it specifically requires a signature AND I was instructed to use MyChoice to prevent mishaps. Never had any problems with FedEx, ever, they at least use common sense. And I've had a couple clients whose phones shipped this week that were stolen because the signature requirement is signed by the UPS driver and not the guest, package was dropped off in front of door when nobody was home and voila, stolen.

Report that shit on a call. At least have them look into your mychoice preferences. Some mychoice options allow recipients to waive the signature ahead of time. The driver discretion thing is only when it isn't a contractually requested signature (sender pays a little more). If i still had access to the tracking system and you had a tr# i'd check. But I'd say there's something else going on or someone is explaining it to you wrong (yay corporations outsourcing to Guatemala and the Philippines, I spent more time fixing the shit those 2 call centers caused than anything else).

Out of 7 years working there, i think i saw at most, 3 or 4 cases of the driver actually scribbling on the diad, and it wasn't a regular driver for the route. It was always a replacement when the normal one was on vacation. And with a denial of signature lost package claim, that shit would get paid out in a claim.

• 3Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
We are now in that time of year that all kinds of packages are getting delivered and many are now being stolen.

Up here in Chicago, I'm hearing from some people that UPS/ Fedex drivers are keeping an eye out for people following them when delivering packages. They are genuinely afraid of being jumped or attacked in their vehicles or when making a delivery.

I have a buddy at work that had a couple of his packages stolen (has house cameras) from his front porch during the day while at work.

I wanted to start this thread to see if any of you guys are having this problem or whatever now that delivery is super commonplace. Do you know anyone that works for a delivery service that has firsthand knowledge about this stuff? Do you have ideas or plans other than just track delivery with your phone?

(Send to a friend's house or have them hold it until you can pick it up or alternative delivery like deliver to work vs home?)

Related: Found this neat vid

There was a notification up on our wall the other day that the police were involved in 2 separate cases on the 2nd floor of my building. I'm in a 20 story apartment complex that also has a 2nd 20 story building. Anyway, shit happens. My neighbor recently moved out, but Nordstrum dropped off some packages yesterday that must have also been stolen, because they weren't in front of her apartment when I checked. Dunno. People are scum.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
When i was in PA i was in a 2floor townhouse, and my apt was 1st. If the 2nd floor package was heavy or slightly larger, UPS would just drop it off at my door. If i couldn't be bothered, i'd just put the package on the third step leading up to the 2nd floor, if it was for the hot blond jew, i'd bring it to her. No one stole in that area.

Heck, i remember in VA my first apt complex, there wasn't a slot to drop outgoing mail in, just a rock. You just placed your mail on the ledge and put the rock on it, and mailman took it. What was fun was that was also when Netflix first came on the scene (dvds), would just be a stacks of red dvds for the mailman to take back sometimes. (or blue, blockbuster was trying to come in also)

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I live in a neighborhood without such theft issues but we still get the occasional lazy ass deliveries left in front of the garage instead of placed on the porch. Like not even visible from the front door but out where the whole rest of the world could see. So if we had already checked the mailbox for the day it would sit there until someone almost runs over it or a neighbor knocks to tell us.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I live in a neighborhood without such theft issues but we still get the occasional lazy ass deliveries left in front of the garage instead of placed on the porch. Like not even visible from the front door but out where the whole rest of the world could see. So if we had already checked the mailbox for the day it would sit there until someone almost runs over it or a neighbor knocks to tell us.
basically UPS just lobbed it over

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
basically UPS just lobbed it over

Yeah this shit pisses me off too. The seasonal helpers are usually just the biggest problem. They need them due to the stupid workload they're stuck with during peak season. but the shit pay + zero background checking them creates the problems discussed already with theft, neglect or misdeliveries to the wrong address.

• 1Picard

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
i have yet to have a package stolen,

i have had a few packages "delivered" but not.

each time i've called amazon and said, not delivered, i got a replacement one, then a few days or so later, the original package shows up.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
its a crime, but i dunno if you need intent, if you can porve it wasnt an accident then its probably hard to do. but i would file theft charges anyway and hope for at least to the cops knock on their door and scare these fucks a little.
Just claim they stole it from the porch, the cops come a-knocking and find the opened packages with lurkindirks name on them in their house.

Good thing here anything I didn't sign for did not get delivered to me, so if porch deliveries get stolen, I just don't pay for them. Or even better, the delivery driver doesn't follow protocol (ie does an unsigned porch delivery), I just get it for free.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users