Packages and the delivery of them/stolen etc

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
We are now in that time of year that all kinds of packages are getting delivered and many are now being stolen.

Up here in Chicago, I'm hearing from some people that UPS/ Fedex drivers are keeping an eye out for people following them when delivering packages. They are genuinely afraid of being jumped or attacked in their vehicles or when making a delivery.

I have a buddy at work that had a couple of his packages stolen (has house cameras) from his front porch during the day while at work.

I wanted to start this thread to see if any of you guys are having this problem or whatever now that delivery is super commonplace. Do you know anyone that works for a delivery service that has firsthand knowledge about this stuff? Do you have ideas or plans other than just track delivery with your phone?

(Send to a friend's house or have them hold it until you can pick it up or alternative delivery like deliver to work vs home?)

Related: Found this neat vid

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
It should be legal to shoot those fucking parasites.

• 10Like
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 11 users

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I've always lived pretty rural, so it was a huge surprise when I read that this is a massive problem in the burbs and inner cities.

I mean I'm so rural that I rarely lock the door because nobody apart from drunk farmers are passing my house.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Nice thing about here is that pretty much every major parcel service has a pick-up option. It's not really needed though as theft isn't a big problem outside of obvious tempting targets. Plus, most Amazon stuff is delivered via Canada Post and they just put that shit into the community mailbox package slots that can only be opened with a key they put into your personal box.

Do people even go to prison over shit like this though? Is it just minor theft + trespassing, or is it considered the same as B&E?

khorum

Murder Apologist
That guy lives in Winetka, one of the wealthiest suburbs north of Chicago and one of the richest counties in the US in terms of household income. It's more or less where you'd expect an engineer for the Mars Rover would live.

It's also exactly where nogs would cruise to steal amazon packages off porches.

• 1Picard
  • 1Salty

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
Nice thing about here is that pretty much every major parcel service has a pick-up option. It's not really needed though as theft isn't a big problem outside of obvious tempting targets. Plus, most Amazon stuff is delivered via Canada Post and they just put that shit into the community mailbox package slots that can only be opened with a key they put into your personal box.

Do people even go to prison over shit like this though? Is it just minor theft + trespassing, or is it considered the same as B&E?
I've honestly had really bad experiences with picking up parcels from the distribution point. Sometimes those are located in real shitholes fairly far from your house. The last time I went to one for FedEx the guy in front of me openly threatened the clerk over having to provide ID and the guy behind me was some junkie with visible track marks.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I've honestly had really bad experiences with picking up parcels from the distribution point. Sometimes those are located in real shitholes fairly far from your house. The last time I went to one for FedEx the guy in front of me openly threatened the clerk over having to provide ID and the guy behind me was some junkie with visible track marks.

It's not ideal, but it's certainly a nice option if you live in a shitty area (or nice & targeted) that's prone to theft.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
my cul de sac has one of these
NewApartmentMailbox.jpg

It's awesome, my regular mail is locked, there is a slot for outgoing mail, and if you have a big package, mailman just drop it's in the big package lock (theres a double key system).

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
my cul de sac has one of these
NewApartmentMailbox.jpg

It's awesome, my regular mail is locked, there is a slot for outgoing mail, and if you have a big package, mailman just drop it's in the big package lock (theres a double key system).

These are pretty much country-wide in Canada. A lot of people bitched about them (some for good reason) but I love them.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
These are pretty much country-wide in Canada. A lot of people bitched about them (some for good reason) but I love them.
how is there a god damn negative? the only negative i see is you walk to the communal mailbox (further out) vs. a few ft out your door.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
how is there a god damn negative? the only negative i see is you walk to the communal mailbox (further out) vs. a few ft out your door.

It's fucking Canada dude. Nobody wants to go down the street to get their mail in -20 temps with the road covered in ice and or slush, nevermind the seniors that have to do that shit.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
It's fucking Canada dude. Nobody wants to go down the street to get their mail in -20 temps with the road covered in ice and or slush, nevermind the seniors that have to do that shit.
down the st? the furthest a neighbor has to walk is like 2 houses over, unless it's a huge one like apt complexes, i've had to walk a block around to the central one at temp housing for a bit.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
down the st? the furthest a neighbor has to walk is like 2 houses over, unless it's a huge one like apt complexes, i've had to walk a block around to the central one at temp housing for a bit.

Some streets are only served by a single box, and some streets have theirs in different areas. Mine is 30 feet away, while my brother's is another street over, and I've seen multitudes of the boxes setup in areas that serve several local streets. Not every location is the same.

Hosix

All labs matter!
Some asshole did this to me. Joke was him though, all he got was my new smoke alarms. Have fun with that shit!

• 2Worf

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
If you have to send it elsewhere for security, its worth it. I've picked my packages up at the post office, the distribution center, the UPS store, etc. I usually try to get things shipped UPS or USPS if I can, since they're the best places for pick-up in my area. You can even get things sent to places a distance from your home if its near your work, or somewhere along the way. I do that with the big UPS distribution place like 15 minutes from me, since its off a major highway.

Don't take the risk, the paranoia isn't worth it. There's a million different places to pick that shit up these days, just check their sites.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Someone took my hot chili oil delivery one time also. Bastards.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
www.getboxlock.com was pitched or shark tank as a way to combat this. He didnt get a deal, but I felt it is a pretty smart idea as someone that gets all packages shipped to work to avoid this happening.

• 3Like

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I always worry about this. Can't get stuff shipped to work because it's a secure facility and that creates its own problems, so if I'm getting something particularly valuable or whatever, I just get it shipped to my parents' place. They're retired and pretty much always home, so I just let them know when stuff is on a truck for delivery.

If I can't do that for some reason, I just arrange to work from home on the day that something's being delivered. Not ideal but it works out.

• 2Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

They're the norm out here as well. There's only 2 large boxes and a lot of packages i get wouldn't fit in one anyways.