Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Please enlighten me. What other game has something like "Spectres to docks!" ? Also what games have remote dungeons that hardly anyone travels to? All games now have dungeon finders with levels that are repeated time and time again. Grouping for overland content? Please......you don't even need to group anymore.
Which game do you want to compare? I know WoW better than a lot of other games and it had all that while I still played(4 years free). Every game made has some dungeons that aren't as played because of one reason or another. Is there an easy way to get there if you want? Sure, because they built those dungeons...to be used. My necro in EQ never had to group until endgame...just like all my classes in WoW. My bard...never grouped until endgame. My BL, didn't need to group until later but sometimes did it. A buddy's mage... soloed a lot. So...EQ DID have classes that didn't need grouping to use content. I'll be damned! Most games today try to add PQ type quests wherever possible...because they know it's a grouping game.

Letsinod

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't buy it. Every dungeon gets runned because its in the queue. There is no "lost dungeons". I guess Vanguard was the only other one that comes to mind. I never said you couldn't solo in EQ, but that there was content other than dungeons that needed group's for. Cripes even the stupid derv camps at like lvl 10 you needed a bunch of people. Name the last game you needed a group at level 10.....

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
heh, no shit. I've been playing Dragon Age Origins for the better part of a year. I might find the time to put in a 2 hour session once or twice a week, at this point.

But really, that's what the whole EQ nostalgia thing comes down to: most of the people wanting a return to EQ's ethos are those that can spend 40+ hours a week on a video game. And that's an extremely small demographic. Hence why no developer or investor is willing to put tens of millions of dollars towards an AAA game of that nature. And as Erronnius was arguing, that's really what it came down to for the "top end" people in EQ: time. Sure, there was some element of skill and knowledge, but really most of it was simply time.
an extremely small demographic? are all people from canada as stupid as you are? the DEMOGRAPHIC for video games are kids!!! and they have more fucking time than they know what to do with. video games aren't made for 25+ year old adults, they're made for kids. there are literally hundreds of millions of them and most of them (that don't live in third world countries) spend a shit ton of time playing video games. so to say that the industry won't make another game that requires that amount of time to invest is god damn mind numbingly retarded.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
an extremely small demographic? are all people from canada as stupid as you are? the DEMOGRAPHIC for video games are kids!!! and they have more fucking time than they know what to do with. video games aren't made for 25+ year old adults, they're made for kids. there are literally hundreds of millions of them and most of them (that don't live in third world countries) spend a shit ton of time playing video games. so to say that the industry won't make another game that requires that amount of time to invest is god damn mind numbingly retarded.
You obviously have no kids if you think kids these days are going to play an EQ type game that requires a ton of time invested for minimal gain.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
You obviously have no kids if you think kids these days are going to play an EQ type game that requires a ton of time invested for minimal gain.
i have 4 nephews, and they spend 7 or 8 hours a night playing video games with their friends. please, you're making yourself look foolish by trying to pretend that kids don't play video games including MMO's.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
i have 4 nephews, and they spend 7 or 8 hours a night playing video games with their friends. please, you're making yourself look foolish by trying to pretend that kids don't play video games including MMO's.
Your nephews and friends spend all that time poopsocking in EQ, right? Because I'm pretty sure this new generation of gamers are ADHD and instant gratification types/COD fags that love all the drivel that passes for games.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
You honestly are going to try and say kids are going to play a game like EQ? Aren't people here always talking about the ADHD generation and instant gratification? Now you are telling me that these kids who have a fuck ton of options to entertain them are going to camp a fucking spawn for 8 hours to get an item or they will be cool with not being able to kill something because somebody else killed it first? They aren't your demogrpahic and never will be.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I get Dumars point about making a world and that world being harsh and not catering to peoples playtimes. I do get that and we need better world design in a bad way in MMOs.

On the flip side I'm in total fucking agreement that time spent does not equate to skill. Basically all the power guilds that used to lock down the entire server and make people envious of their leet gear for epeen can no longer boast on the basis of "skill". They basically locked the server out of the content and let them play when they were ready to.

Modern games should never allow a player or guild to lock you from content. Instancing proved really quick that most of the guilds that were locked out of the content had just as much skill as they did. Time was the differing factor. But as I and multiple others are stating, time does not equate to skill.

Tauro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Was this already posted?

"Update:
We are having great success re-building the team, including the Lore and Moderator teams. A huge thanks to all who are volunteering their time!
1. New Lore: the WarWizard. Check it out in the Wiki and on FB (the new art from JP Targete is full size on FB)!
2. New Lore Master: Please welcome Sparkling and her growing team!
3. New Lead Moderators: Please congratulate Multisync & Kyndread!
4. New Unity Zone builder: Please welcome Montreseur!!
I'm still working through all of the resumes, with help from Sparkling. One of my main next goals is to find a Unity programmer who can take over from where the project itself was left.
-Brad"

Aeiouy_sl

shitlord
1) has the development of the game turns into a real cult at this point?

2) Someone should be creating a documentary on this entire thing.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
1) has the development of the game turns into a real cult at this point?

2) Someone should be creating a documentary on this entire thing.
Think you are messing step 1b......some one needs to call a fucking adult....quick. There is a bad man in a trench coat and his name is Brad

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Wait a fucking minute. Is the entire team made up of forum posters from the website?
No. The entire team is made up of "Apprentice devs" from the website.

A lucky few of them have been blessed by Brad to receive special colors for their forum names and are getting access to the paid message boards "pro bono."

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Wait a fucking minute. Is the entire team made up of forum posters from the website?
No. The entire team is made up of "Apprentice devs" from the website.

A lucky few of them have been blessed by Brad to receive special colors for their forum names and are getting access to the paid message boards "pro bono."

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
You really don't know what your talking about.

The Entertainment Software Association - Industry Facts

Pay particular attention to fact 4 and 5:

The average game player is 31 years old and has been playing games for 14 years
The average age of the most frequent game player is 35 years old

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
You really don't know what your talking about.

The Entertainment Software Association - Industry Facts

Pay particular attention to fact 4 and 5:

The average game player is 31 years old and has been playing games for 14 years
The average age of the most frequent game player is 35 years old
Not to continue this 500 page derail...but

Your link seems to all over the place and goes against your point in many aspects.

Half are women....44% play on cellphone...91% have parent present when purchasing game?

Interesting read though.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Not to continue this 500 page derail...but

Your link seems to all over the place and goes against your point in many aspects.

Half are women....44% play on cellphone...91% have parent present when purchasing game?

Interesting read though.
The point is he says the main demographic for video games (he didn't specify platform) is kids and the link proves that it's outright false.