Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
I feel bad for my friend. My buddy posted the Kickstart video on my fb timeline as a joke, and she ended up sharing it

g65Ptrr.png

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Sounds like Sparkling might still be a dev. She was demoted on forums to light blue then put back to green which means Dev. So maybe she's still around!? Anyone able to confirm? Maybe that's why Kyn tucked and ran yesterday since that's when it happen.
yep, called it. she has brad by the balls if he ever wants to keep those servers for cheap/free. brad wont ever leave team jesus or tyenbot/req because there is nothing after it.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Sounds like Sparkling might still be a dev. She was demoted on forums to light blue then put back to green which means Dev. So maybe she's still around!? Anyone able to confirm? Maybe that's why Kyn tucked and ran yesterday since that's when it happen.
Absolutely, I mean from what did we draw the conclusion she wasn't? Kyndread's non-vetted drunken claims and Nirtixx saying Brad made everyone sign some sort of mysterious, pseudo-legal document that stated "i hereby affirm that its ok to be gay" which Sparkling declined on moral grounds. The bad PR Sparkles could potentially cause is only damaging if people give a fuck (spoiler: a dozen people care about Pantheon) whereas the material assets and manpower she brought to the table can "make or break" Brad's project entirely. Until I see some official statements, I'm considering that Heavy Holy Roller on the Dev team.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Absolutely, I mean from what did we draw the conclusion she wasn't? Kyndread's non-vetted drunken claims and Nirtixx saying Brad made everyone sign some sort of mysterious, pseudo-legal document that stated "i hereby affirm that its ok to be gay" which Sparkling declined on moral grounds. The bad PR Sparkles could potentially cause is only damaging if people give a fuck (spoiler: a dozen people care about Pantheon) whereas the material assets and manpower she brought to the table can "make or break" Brad's project entirely. Until I see some official statements, I'm considering that Heavy Holy Roller on the Dev team.
*half a dozen

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Well this thread really died off...but even then it's probably more active than the Pantheon forums are...

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I really hate being overly negative, but it's funny how shit I find this genre to be these days. Maybe some people have actually found an MMO they care about, but it ain't happening for me. During the build up and pre-Kickstarter era I was fucking hyped, but if you took my worst case scenario, multiplied it by 20 and proceeded to shit all over it, you still wouldn't be where Pantheon is today.

Some people are writing EQN off but I can't because it's about all I got left. I think Black Desert is going to be too Korean MMO for me and the latest combat video I saw looked like trash. At this point it's either P99 or jack around in MMOs that have been out for way too many years. Blizzard really kicked my sack when they completely cancelled Titan but after reading what it was, I feel like I might have dodged a second kick to the sack.

Edit: Bruman, you aren't lying. But given all the history that goes beyond Pantheon, it's not surprising I guess.

iannis

Musty Nester
Nah, there really aren't any MMOS out there that are worth playing. And I think this is one of the few MMO centric boards left. It ain't just you. It's 90% of this board. It's not overly negative. They really are all shitshows. Part of it is getting older, rose colored glasses, ad nausem. But part of it is that the quality of these games really HAS gone down while production values have (in general) gone up. Moar polygons! Less fun!

It's not just MMO's. It's the industry as a whole. One problem is that MMO's take a long time to get to release compared to the singleplayer / multiplayer games and there are only a handful of them compared to -- look at how many games are on steam. These are big projects. %age wise MMO's probably mirror the trend in the industry as a whole. That's a big problem when you're talking about 4 releases a year, at most. That fail rate isn't gonna work. EQN is going to be fucking terrible. And after that... no one is even pretending to release anything.

Don't care really. I bought Europa Universalis when it went on sale last time. I'm good for about... the next 15 years.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Blizzard really kicked my sack when they completely cancelled Titan but after reading what it was, I feel like I might have dodged a second kick to the sack.
I honestly wonder if this might be a really good thing for the MMO industry overall, especially if you crave an EQ1~ish type MMO. With the big budget MMOs comes pressure to appeal to an incredibly large and broad playerbase in order to make their investment back, and to my mind that means that the odds of seeing the type of game that a lot of people here want would be infinitesimally small. But if Blizz is really looking to get away from the massive budget projects and look for smaller projects that might have the potential for great things, then maybe...just maybe...they might end up letting a team with just a handful of people work in some forgotten back office on a small MMO concept.

Either way the odds are really small, but if studios start aiming low then maybe some design team somewhere might be like"fuck it, if there's only 5 of us, then let's make Vanguard 2.0". The difference then between a team like that Pantheon would be funding and I would think people with actual experience and talent. And if a company like Blizzard does only commit a handful of people for an MMO concept, as opposed to Titan, then I'm not so sure that they'd care as much overall if it either doesn't pan out and gets cancelled or if it ends up being a big hit with a small fanbase but never attains broader appeal and/or success.

This thinking could be entirely incorrect too, I dunno. It's just something I was wondering in regards to there possibly being a silver lining to Titan's cancellation.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
So whats the endgame for brad at this point?

I can't imagine he is getting much from the monthly subs + It's unlikely another donation drive or KS will bring in anything. I think at this point hes just a useless junky who knows on some level this is a gigantic failure that eviscerated his rep permanently. Yet he keeps on going living the fantasy so he doesn't have to face those facts.hard facts

JonJon_sl

shitlord
So whats the endgame for brad at this point?

I can't imagine he is getting much from the monthly subs + It's unlikely another donation drive or KS will bring in anything. I think at this point hes just a useless junky who knows on some level this is a gigantic failure that eviscerated his rep permanently. Yet he keeps on going living the fantasy so he doesn't have to face those facts.hard facts
He's between the proverbial rock and a hard place. When this shitstorm is finally shuttered, he has nothing left in the gaming world. The industry has left him in its dust. He's kind of like the guy who bought a lifetime subscription for encyclopedias and a week later the internet became popular. Damned if he won't try to proudly display those shiny books on a nice bookshelf, but when it comes time to research a paper for school, his kids aren't even going to bother to open them when they can just go to Wikipedia.

When Pantheon is gone he needs to find a real job, and game studios aren't exactly lining up to pay someone $45,000 per month for his ideas or "Vision". He will either need to go learn C# and be content with being the old guy in the office that all the fresh graduates whisper about being that "creepy old dude who tells stories of his past glory" or he will have to go find work in some completely unrelated field with pretty much the same prospects of him being known as some weird washed up has-been.

Obviously his ego hasn't allowed him to come to terms with this and so he keeps Pantheon on life support so he doesn't need to face the inevitable demise of his Idea Guy lifestyle.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
there are still several chapters of this trainwreck to be written before its done. we got brad's "totally awesome and mind blowing" Unity movie coming out soon, then we have the pathetic scramble to beg for more money and perhaps more movies and more begging and cult members leaving before the doors finally close on the Brad/Tyenbot/req/Team Jesus project for good. then we get an epilogue of Brad completely hitting rock bottom, whatever that may be. lots more lolz to be had. needs to be patient.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
I see some repetition of the Vanguard debacle in store. Brad?s hiring World Builders, not knowing much about game development I would assume they design zones and place assets inside. If we whizz back in time to the Vanguard beta period I remember it was full of some nice looking and screenshot worthy areas but it ran at 2fps in some parts, was extremely underpopulated with NPCs, the combat was terrible and generally the whole game part of the game was missing, it was just a world essentially.

Rather than building some huge world Brad should make say one overland zone and maybe two or three dungeons complete and polished. Get the games core mechanics in place, trio of classes, combat, grouping, quests, and itemization to some extent. Once that?s done open it up as a small alpha for a while to debug stuff and make sure the database and networking is ok.

When I say alpha I don?t mean to a bunch of zealots paying $15 bucks a month for the privilege, I mean giving this board and every other board that has shown interest in the game access so rather than see some fucking screenshots we can have a go and try and break/exploit the game.

As others have said the best way to turn the naysayers to your side is to put something out there that is excellent, for that to work it doesn?t mean a bunch of pretty screenshots like Vanguard but a working if incomplete game would be a start. This would do at a pinch to perk my interest back up if it was good enough.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
I really hate being overly negative, but it's funny how shit I find this genre to be these days. Maybe some people have actually found an MMO they care about, but it ain't happening for me. During the build up and pre-Kickstarter era I was fucking hyped, but if you took my worst case scenario, multiplied it by 20 and proceeded to shit all over it, you still wouldn't be where Pantheon is today.

Some people are writing EQN off but I can't because it's about all I got left. I think Black Desert is going to be too Korean MMO for me and the latest combat video I saw looked like trash. At this point it's either P99 or jack around in MMOs that have been out for way too many years. Blizzard really kicked my sack when they completely cancelled Titan but after reading what it was, I feel like I might have dodged a second kick to the sack.

Edit: Bruman, you aren't lying. But given all the history that goes beyond Pantheon, it's not surprising I guess.
I'm right there with you bro.

Also I'm going to go out on a limb here and assert that Titan's cancellation probably isn't good for the genre, its like seeing all of the Hummer dealerships close and thinking "Yes! This could lead to a Renaissance in the SUV market." Yes, Titan represented the big budget, decade long development cycle MMOs we've become fairly familiar with since WoW's profit margins became the gold standard for companies to emulate, but that doesn't mean the alternative is Western studies working on smaller, more obtainable projects. We've seen Western studies do the even cheaper option over the last few years, buy licenses to publish Asian titles, sight unseen, and shit them onto the North American and European Markets (Dragons Prophet, Wizardry Online, etc) where they last for around 8 months before being pulled.

The real last chance for the MMO genre isn't even Everquest Next, in reality its games like Pathfinder Online, Life is Feudal, and Shroud of the Avatar, and none of those will achieve Everquest or UO levels of success, Wildstar and ESO took a spin kick to the teeth. The genre as we knew it is dead, and will fragment into something else entirely, into multiple sub-genres like Day Z, MOBA titles, and more Minecraft titles. There will always been Korean grinders though.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm right there with you bro.
I haven't played a game in a long ass time. I've lost total interest in MMOs at this point. This sounds cheesy but they've lost that RPG feel to them. EQN is my big hope, but they need to nail the rpg and community aspects. I'm not so sure they can with the way today's players want to play... But who knows, what they show on the surface has potential. Not really looking to get into this long derail, but someone will eventually look to captailiaze on our market again. Brad's half ass attempt has really painted a murky picture of what that market really looks like, so it's going to take some passionate people. Which leads to my last point, not everyone on the original dev staff was passionate about this project. There were some who would only work for money first. Not saying that's wrong or right, but to make a game like we all want(whatever that is). It's going to take some truly passionate and knowledgeable Devs. Devs with multiple skill sets and talents to keep the budget down and quality at a respectable level. Who knows what the future brings.

My biggest EQL disappointment is I can't make a game. Not yet anyway. My hope for EQL was it being so damn intuitive that I could sit down and build a world with a lot less knowledge than it takes to use even unity. An engine for dummies so to speak.