Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
UE4 still has a lot more MMO features out of the box than previous UE engines, the open world feature looks awesome:

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
In a few years there will be a decent amount of 3rd party solutions for handling 100+ people in a zoned instance. You'll soon have the ability to make your own game at home similar to how you do minecraft servers.
So, we could essentially all create our own website advertising development of a hardcore true mmorpg just like Everquest.......... and then steal everyone's money.

Turns out Brad really is a visionary.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I'd assume if you were hitting the main points it would be forced grouping, non instanced, no magic teleportation. But I still am curious if those things all sound good because we were 18 year old kids who had nothing but time on our hands so all this really immersed us in the world. I think as a full grown man I'm not sure if it would have the same appeal.
I'm sorry you're old now. Me too. Sucks.

That's why plenty of us were pointing out during the Kickstarter it was a mistake to target mostly old-school gamers. They should have done the opposite and tried to target younger gamers. Challenge them. Tell them they're pussies if they didn't want to play Pantheon just like they were pussies if they didn't want to try Dark Souls. Give them something to call their friends pussies over. What, afraid a game where stuff is actually hard and you have to group to kill shit is going to be too hard for you? Pussy!

Instead, Brad's grand vision is trying to make a hardcore, oldschool EQ-like game that will appeal to the tiny fraction of original EQ players who are still even into gaming, much less have the time and patience to bother with it.

Of course, when we started realizing they didn't have shit for an actual product, or even a business plan, or even a design doc, and all Brad had was the idea that EQ was the best time of his life so man wouldn't it be cool if he could have that again..... well, that was when rational people realized the "game" wasn't going to appeal to anyone wanting an actual game, only a few pathetic individuals who agree: EQ really was the best time of their lives so wouldn't it be cool if Brad could have that again.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
It may do wonders to just have a good LFG system that will auto match people wanting to do the same content. The issue with WoW is that it is cross-realm and just teleports you instantly. So there is no feeling of community. It could be 4 AIs it paired you with and you'd never know the difference with most dungeon groups. I can't even play DOTA2 because I feel I need at least a 2 hour window in order to open it up and play a game. I couldn't imagine wasting an hour trying to find a group since that means I'd need at least a 3 hour chunk of time to get anything done.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
It may do wonders to just have a good LFG system that will auto match people wanting to do the same content. The issue with WoW is that it is cross-realm and just teleports you instantly. So there is no feeling of community. It could be 4 AIs it paired you with and you'd never know the difference with most dungeon groups. I can't even play DOTA2 because I feel I need at least a 2 hour window in order to open it up and play a game. I couldn't imagine wasting an hour trying to find a group since that means I'd need at least a 3 hour chunk of time to get anything done.
You should probably start buying assets and building a website to promote these great ideas you're having.

I mean, a great LFG system that auto matches people, but only people who will talk in the group and value a sense of community, because I presume group content and a sense of community are important, but also one that will reward players who will sit around 'wasting' an hour waiting for a group to form around them if there isn't an auto-grouping LFG system to rely on. You know, because they can only play a few hours so the game should cater to that fact.

When do we get to play beta, Brad?!

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
And people like you are the problem with the industry. "I don't have more than an hour to play, therefore I should be able to do everything in the game in fifteen minutes." Just because you no longer have the necessary time to invest, doesn't mean a company needs to cater to you. There are literally millions of kids that have unlimited time to play a game, just like we used to.

Greyform

And people like you are the problem with the industry. "I don't have more than an hour to play, therefore I should be able to do everything in the game in fifteen minutes." Just because you no longer have the necessary time to invest, doesn't mean a company needs to cater to you. There are literally millions of kids that have unlimited time to play a game, just like we used to.
Not sure if you have kids, or if you do have watched them game. Yes tons of time to play. But they will move through several games in an hour. The attention span is not there because they're way over stimulated. My kids, its the laptop/tablet, TV and plugged into their phones talking to their friends who may or may not be playing the same game.

Thinking they're going to get into a game that wold require hours of dedication is akin to thinking they'll enjoy a week up north on the lake away from all of their electronics... But unlike that trip, they're not going to pretend to like it.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
"True MMO" sounds like a gimmick that you'd hear on an infomercial at 2am. Gives you all the "feels" and nothing else to go on. Sounds like bullshit to me.
It really isn't. It's about world-focused gameplay. We haven't had a true MMO in a very, very long time.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Not sure if you have kids, or if you do have watched them game. Yes tons of time to play. But they will move through several games in an hour. The attention span is not there because they're way over stimulated. My kids, its the laptop/tablet, TV and plugged into their phones talking to their friends who may or may not be playing the same game.

Thinking they're going to get into a game that wold require hours of dedication is akin to thinking they'll enjoy a week up north on the lake away from all of their electronics... But unlike that trip, they're not going to pretend to like it.
I hooked up the Nintendo and showed my 9yo daughter Super Mario Bros.

She played it for 3 min and went back to Mine Craft....I tried to explain to her the hours and hours spent trying to beat those !#$% levels. (By then she had moved off Minecraft and on to Netflix watching)

A lot of truth in what Greyform said IMO.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You forgot the retired crowd. Some of you bastards are dinosaurs. Half my guild in EQ had 15/20 years on me back then.

Tenks

Ah yes people like me are the problem. It isn't like the industry follows the money or anything and makes games which people want or anything. It isn't like this KS got absolutely no money. There is just so big a demand for this game the KS money counter must have rolled over and int overflowed, right?

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Tenks, you spend a lot of time posting in a game thread that you apparently have no interest in. Take a break, guy. It's ok to have a gaming preference.. No need to be a wet blanket over it. We already have one of those in Dragon. He hates games like this bc he couldn't hack it in EQ. Not sure what your reasons are but your replies are nothing new and really just regurgitated shit from that past.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Tenks, you spend a lot of time posting in a game thread that you apparently have no interest in. Take a break, guy. It's ok to have a gaming preference.. No need to be a wet blanket over it. We already have one of those in Dragon. He hates games like this bc he couldn't hack it in EQ. Not sure what your reasons are but your replies are nothing new and really just regurgitated shit from that past.
Sorry, neckbeards spend all day shitting up every other mmo thread when they get a chance. Fucking deal with it. People in this thread deserve to be mocked for Brad hero worship.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What thread are you referring to??? Links please. But at least you admit he's shitting up the thread.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
If it wasn't for people like Tenks posting in here this thread would be dead. You need him.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm just asking for more original material. I'm just grazing over his post at this point. I need more stimulation from him.