Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Holy shit I just went to their forums and wow is that pay to win (or whatever you call it in this case) at an all time high. What the actual fuck. I fucking hate kick starter and all this fund shit

Cathex_sl

shitlord
Nothing wrong with reading their boards. Can't say I agree with statements like those either. There are other ways to make death hurt but we will have to see what they come up with.
Yeah, I doubt (read: hope) the Devs would pursue such a foolish route. I agree death should be a deterrent and sting a bit, but losing possibly weeks of progress would make any sane person ditch Pantheon posthaste. Still, the groupthink over yonder is a bit strong for my tastes.

Interested in what the "big update" has in store. I assume they know they have to deliver. Examples of world-building aren't going to cut it this go around. Joppa does seem competent however, or at least he is adept at PR speak.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Nothing wrong with reading their boards. Can't say I agree with statements like those either. There are other ways to make death hurt but we will have to see what they come up with.
Like 6... Which we have all seen before and it doesn't hurt unless you make it hurt.

Here are the ways:

Item Degradation/Money hit (No one cares)
Item Loss (Hurts)
XP Penalty (If you have a 97% res, no one cares)
XP Debt (No one cares)
Play time loss (Hurts as long as it is a long time but no one is going to go through that mundane shit any longer)
Nothing - (No one cares, obviously)

The only way to make death hurt in an MMORPG is to make it frustrating as shit for a player but they keep coming back for some reason. At the risk of losing the player. Here is a protip: No one is coming back to the mundane any more. In EQ people came back because it was a revolutionary game at a time without social media and wide spread connectivity with others any time/any place. That's all over. That's why the magic never comes back. The magic has morphed into Smartphones, Facebook, Facetime, Twitter and 24 hour media.

So yeah I would say go for broke. Time Loss, Item degredation/money sink, and XP Penalty all at once. I want to see the tears on the 5 people playing it on Twitch.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
What about rewarding people for staying alive?
Buffs, loot, content unlocks, story unlocks.

The same we have always seen in the past and now.

Watching the reinvention of the wheel is pretty funny.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
If you stay alive for 2h+ it will seamlessly load up the HD textures bundled with the Unity assets. If you die you have to see the world in SD.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I would be ok with a buff that grew stronger with every battle won and lasted until I died.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I hope at the beginning of each level there is a short video of Brad saying "this is gonna rock!" To not include this in the game would be a fatal mistake.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
For every minute you stay alive you gain 1 stack of Rockin'. If you reach 100 stacks of Rockin' your character is mounted on a dirtbike giving 30% move speed.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
If you stay alive for 2h+ it will seamlessly load up the HD textures bundled with the Unity assets. If you die you have to see the world in SD.
Now THAT is a great concept. Take it even a step further. Die too much and you will be locked in the Qeynos sewers with McQuaid and Koster and be forced to listen about Bike racing and Social game design theories and polka bands.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
For every minute you stay alive you gain 1 stack of Rockin'. If you reach 100 stacks of Rockin' your character is mounted on a dirtbike giving 30% move speed.
Stay alive for a week straight and the song "Bicycle" from Queen starts streaming at the same time in game everytime you defeat a monster.

Guys we can go places with this.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
More death penalties:

Die five or more times in an hour and you are forced to play TESO for the rest of the day. I bet Brad could pitch the idea to Zenimax and get the $300 left in the TESO budget from them.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Now THAT is a great concept. Take it even a step further. Die too much and you will be locked in the Qeynos sewers with McQuaid and Koster and be forced to listen about Bike racing and Social game design theories and polka bands.
So your punishment for dying it to make them listen to Brad read this thread? That's sadistic for everyone involved.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
More death penalties:

Die five or more times in an hour and you are forced to play TESO for the rest of the day. I bet Brad could pitch the idea to Zenimax and get the $300 left in the TESO budget from them.
See you in Pantheon bro