Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
It's been a long time, but wasn't the xp poorer in those overworld zones? I feel like it was and they were only popular because they were relatively safe.

Dullahan

Golden Knight of the Realm
Pretty sure LOIO and OT had some of the worst ZEMs in game
it's believed lake of ill omen was good. it was a zone adjacent to city, so should have had newbie modifier. Cannot confirm whether it was especially better, even though I spent a great deal of time leveling there during kunark on live.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Pretty sure LOIO and OT had some of the worst ZEMs in game

They were common leveling routes though for some reason. A lot of went that route for whatever reason. I stuck to the old world when I eventually leveled an alt.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
it's believed lake of ill omen was good. it was a zone adjacent to city, so should have had newbie modifier. Cannot confirm whether it was especially better, even though I spent a great deal of time leveling there during kunark on live.
The good camps had really good NPC density so that may have made up for it. It definitely felt lower soloing there though. That why i went to overthere, it was pretty safe on the walls but there was really good NPC density which made up for the lower exp.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
They were common leveling routes though for some reason. A lot of went that route for whatever reason. I stuck to the old world when I eventually leveled an alt.

Both zones are Outdoors have access to cities/trainers/vendors and are significantly less dangerous than dungeons.

So between the Kiting druids/Wizards/Bards you had other classes semi afk soloing and a few groups. It basically was a low risk low reward scenario or a place to hang out and grind out a % or two while looking for a dungeon group.

EQ was not afraid to be redundant with their leveling zones giving a player a few options every lvl range even if they are less efficient.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Both zones are Outdoors have access to cities/trainers/vendors and are significantly less dangerous than dungeons.

So between the Kiting druids/Wizards/Bards you had other classes semi afk soloing and a few groups. It basically was a low risk low reward scenario or a place to hang out and grind out a % or two while looking for a dungeon group.

EQ was not afraid to be redundant with their leveling zones giving a player a few options every lvl range even if they are less efficient.
While i agree with most of what you said, there were more than a few groups. They were busy as fuck up through Velious, for the obvious reasons you have stated.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
While i agree with most of what you said, there were more than a few groups. They were busy as fuck up through Velious, for the obvious reasons you have stated.

Sure, We tend to forget that the average EQ player in 99 was really really bad. They treated it like an online chatroom first and a game second.

Being social was a huge draw for a lot of players so they would gravitate to the more "social" zones. I remember seeing people Rping in kelethin taverns almost 24/7.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yup. The vast, vast majority of players were well under level 50 when Kunark came out.

Mur

Trakanon Raider
I always liked killing brutes in WW just outside Dalnirs, then moving inside. Kaesora was also good for a few levels. I did the LoIO, OT thing on one character, that was enough for me. OT was just when I went to farm tails for the OT Hammer later on.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I always liked killing brutes in WW just outside Dalnirs, then moving inside. Kaesora was also good for a few levels. I did the LoIO, OT thing on one character, that was enough for me. OT was just when I went to farm tails for the OT Hammer later on.

OT was good because druids would kite there and you could OT hammer and buy a port.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
On p99, LOIO used to be like other zones adjacent to cities and had a bonus. They actually changed it a few years ago. It used to be higher. Not sure if they did that based on some new info or for another reason.
Looks like from Alla's and a post on Daybreak forums it was adjusted because it has a -13.3% xp mod

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>

I started a bit later, when Kuanrk was live, but if you were not a solo viable class, you gravitated to the zones where peeps were to group. which was the Oasis, LOIO, OOT, DL loop. I walked the world tring to find groups in places like Dalnir and others, but they were all empty. And lets face it, my ranger was not soloing. I mean I could kill some shit solo, dont get me wrong, but I would have to med 5 min in between. By the time Kunark rolled around even vanilla groping goldmines like upper guk were all empty.

Those loop zones were happening, I remember nights where there was like 60+ people in Loio. Literally the entire zone was camped, and it was fucking huge with many, many camps.

Its funny because in all of the legacy servers I have played, the opposite is true. Most people were camping the dungeons, not the outside shit zones, but this is in a different era, with no corpse runs, no death penalty, probably a 100% increase in exp.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user