Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
There were no 20s-40s, everyone was high level by that point. Twinks and latecomers did it all in Kunark. Those places were empty, get over it, I am right.

To bring this back to normalcy, it all depended on the server but most servers I saw this wasn't true in the slightest. While LOIO and Overthere had a decent population, most dungeon running/leveling and gearing up was still happening in Unrest, SolB, Lower Guk, Cazic Thule, and others in vanilla. And this went on for 2-3 months after Kunark launch. There were still "lists" if you remember those, when you would sit at zone and wait to join a group when they needed a replacement, for all camps in Lguk up until Sebilis became the take over dungeon for leveling and gear. Chardok wasn't even a thing here yet. Chardok went unnoticed for months because the experience was poor and there was hardly any reason loot wise to go there until they revamped the itemization about 6 months after launch. Kaesora, Dalnir, and other leveling dungeons had very poor populations. (This is all on Mith Marr back when it was actually Mith Marr) And howling stones only became popular when quad kiting started to emerge.

The Hole was the first "Hot Zone" roll out with Bonus XP to my knowledge, and this was after Kunark was launched as a test trial to see if it worked doing this to spread out populations among the dungeons as everyone gravitated to vanilla dungeons while leveling. All of Kunark dungeons aside from KC, Seb, and later Chardok after the itemization revamp, had hardly anyone or no one in them.

I, on the other hand, loved Kaesora. Because for a while, this little puppy dropped and I made mad bank.

Spirit Tome

I did the same thing with the platinum diamond engagement ring in TOFS on the wedding floor back before the nerf. (I loved TOFS)

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I enjoyed the social aspect of EQ, including the drama that came along with it. It was often what got me to log in when I knew we had nothing to do. I played the game first I guess, in your regard. But EQ would have been a god awful solo experience.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I enjoyed the social aspect of EQ, including the drama that came along with it. It was often what got me to log in when I knew we had nothing to do. I played the game first I guess, in your regard. But EQ would have been a god awful solo experience.

Nothing wrong with that. The social aspect of EQ really made up for a lot of things it lacked at the time it also got people hooked to a montly sub because you would lose all your friends if you did not.

Now with Facebook,Discord,Million f2p games etc you can always talk to your fake virtual friends.
None of that existed back then except for like Yahoo,Aol,MSN chatrooms.

Why not play a super fun game while at the same time being in an AOL chatroom.

• 1Like

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, it sucked. If it hadn't been for the chat room experience of EQ i never would have stuck with it, especially playing a wizard early on when i was pretty much relegated to quadding until AE groups started becoming popular.

• 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I worked 2nd shift during vanilla/kunark. I wouldn't get home until around 2am EST. I did a lot of fungi tunic soloing as a monk, using bind wound for heals. "Sweet, I made two pixels of experience tonight!"

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I worked 2nd shift during vanilla/kunark. I wouldn't get home until around 2am EST. I did a lot of fungi tunic soloing as a monk, using bind wound for heals. "Sweet, I made two pixels of experience tonight!"

how did you solo fungi camp as a monk?

Edit: I'm retarded. Keeping this post to show I am retarded.

• 1Solidarity

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Sorry, I meant I solo'd IN a fungi tunic. I didn't solo king in Seb.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Qwerty has his head up his own ass if he thinks nobody used the old world when Kunark launched.

I don't know what back-water, cucks-only server he played on... but on Veeshan, the server of God's and Legends, even Furor leveled to 60 in Sol B. Lot's of people continued to use Old World content because Kunark was tuned to be more difficult. The mobs, of equal level, had more hp's and ac. Sometimes it was just easier to stick around in the places you knew and get the guaranteed steady xp, versus venturing off to zones unknown and dealing with those challenges.

• 1Like

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I did a ton of my solo'ing on lava duct crawlers in Sol B during Kunark.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Well considering what bug came up not too long after Kunark release, some of us know that certain people.... didnt level to 60 in the "traditional" sense. But sure, they could have still been in "old world".

Daidraco

You could rez the same corpse multiple times with two clerics or maybe that was the duel and rez bug. I cant quite remember the specifics. I just remember the time period based off us finishing an OS key for someone in the guild and boosting him up to 60 at the entrance of OS. Not cause we didnt give a fk, but because it was so early into the expac that barely anyone was coming there.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
You could rez the same corpse multiple times with two clerics or maybe that was the duel and rez bug. I cant quite remember the specifics. I just remember the time period based off us finishing an OS key for someone in the guild and boosting him up to 60 at the entrance of OS. Not cause we didnt give a fk, but because it was so early into the expac that barely anyone was coming there.

You also got to keep all the VP loot before it was transferred out into VP :)

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
To bring this back to normalcy, it all depended on the server but most servers I saw this wasn't true in the slightest. While LOIO and Overthere had a decent population, most dungeon running/leveling and gearing up was still happening in Unrest, SolB, Lower Guk, Cazic Thule, and others in vanilla. And this went on for 2-3 months after Kunark launch. There were still "lists" if you remember those, when you would sit at zone and wait to join a group when they needed a replacement, for all camps in Lguk up until Sebilis became the take over dungeon for leveling and gear. Chardok wasn't even a thing here yet. Chardok went unnoticed for months because the experience was poor and there was hardly any reason loot wise to go there until they revamped the itemization about 6 months after launch. Kaesora, Dalnir, and other leveling dungeons had very poor populations. (This is all on Mith Marr back when it was actually Mith Marr) And howling stones only became popular when quad kiting started to emerge.

The Hole was the first "Hot Zone" roll out with Bonus XP to my knowledge, and this was after Kunark was launched as a test trial to see if it worked doing this to spread out populations among the dungeons as everyone gravitated to vanilla dungeons while leveling. All of Kunark dungeons aside from KC, Seb, and later Chardok after the itemization revamp, had hardly anyone or no one in them.

I, on the other hand, loved Kaesora. Because for a while, this little puppy dropped and I made mad bank.

Spirit Tome

I did the same thing with the platinum diamond engagement ring in TOFS on the wedding floor back before the nerf. (I loved TOFS)

On Bertox it was mostly this way. In the Kunark era, certain places like UGuk and SolA were pretty empty. LGuk and SolB were packed to the gills constantly.

I remember hitting Dalnir hard for a while with my guild because the Amulet of Superiority dropped there. When it was nerfed we abandoned it. But it had some nice monk pieces like the fighting baton and some other shit I. But it was remote and annoying to get there... and very far away from the general traffic through Kunark which stops a lot of places from being used even IF they have decent itemization.

I loved Nurga and Droga but again. Only a few items of note there and even in peak Kunark you wouldn't find too many players in Frontier Mountains to group with if you didn't have a Guild to convince to go there. Chardok was a lot of fun but also a ghost town most of the time.

During Kunark the player traffic was always Karnors, Seb and City of Mist to a lesser degree. Chardok a while later.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
My first main was a Warrior. Didn't really know anyone in game back then and didn't have much luck with smaller guilds that would last more than a few weeks so I pretty much had to hoof it everywhere. Unless I had a pre-set group, I tended to gravitate towards outdoor zones or dungeons that were more accessible. That way, if the group disbanded, or worse yet, wiped and then disbanded, I could at least still get to my corpse.

In my early/mid 50s, that meant a lot of SolB, KC and Velks. I still to this day know each one of those zones like the back of my hand. LGuk was a pain to get to for a Warrior so I shied away from there until later on. And even though Sebilis was THE place to go in your high 50s/60, getting around in there was often tough as shit, especially with invis that could drop at a moment's notice. Hell, even the one-way zone-in scared the shit out of me because getting to the other side to zone out was not easy.

This was on Xev though which was a new server they opened a couple weeks before Velious. For many of you who started at Vanilla, I'm sure this was a bit different.