Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Nullify

Trakanon Raider
Besides I think deep down people want this endeavor to succeed. Why would anyone who is sane want something like this to fail?

To the naysayers here, I know it's fun to bash it with anonymity, and I know it's fun to point out the short comings, but give credit to the team creating this game, they deserve kudos for even attempting to make a game like this in the age of "easy-mode" mmo's.

I agree, I do think people want the kind of game Pantheon is shaping up to be, but a lot of the skepticism has more to do with Brad than with the game itself. And to be fair, that's not unjustified - the original Kickstarter was a disaster and a lot of people around here were extremely hyped for Vanguard and we know how that story ends. Brad was at the center of a monumental clusterfuck once before and it's fine to be skeptical as he gives it another go. Let's not forget that Vanguard looked pretty amazing on paper and in videos, up until people started being able to play and realized there were some deep problems.

That said, there are a few who seem to have developed an emotional attachment to seeing this thing fail and aren't willing to back down from that. This thread is pretty old and there was a long period where we had no real information to talk about so I suppose 1000 pages of dirtbike memes and autistic slapfights will get some people pretty firmly rooted in their positions, but still - it's a fucking video game. If it comes out and is worth the price, awesome. If we get another Vanguard, I'll be disappointed for a bit and move on to the next thing.

Overall, as they've been showing more and more gameplay the tone seems to have shifted from 'this will never see the light of day' to something approaching cautious optimism. There are still real concerns, but in the barren hellscape that is the MMO market in 2018, I'm glad someone's even trying.

• 7Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
West Karana music and your post about fishbone earring.

Fucking triggered me. Qeynos Hills is fishbone earring you piece of shit

If he were a real EQ vet, he would have Hadden to know this, right?

• 4Worf
  • 3Picard
Reactions: 6 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Even though I know it's nostalgia that drives my curiosity about this game; even though I know Brad stumbled a bit with starting his Kickstarter a bit too early; even though it's probably not going to deliver on a lot of the early promises...

I'm still hooked on this style of MMORPG and will undoubtedly support it as it's accessibility opens up.

Besides I think deep down people want this endeavor to succeed. Why would anyone who is sane want something like this to fail?

To the naysayers here, I know it's fun to bash it with anonymity, and I know it's fun to point out the short comings, but give credit to the team creating this game, they deserve kudos for even attempting to make a game like this in the age of "easy-mode" mmo's.

The term "easy-mode" is a term I used to use, and now laugh at. There are things in WoW, that are so much more difficult than EQ ever was "skill-wise". Other than massive time investments camping or grinding etc.

Anyways, there is some heavily rose-tinted glasses in here. A large, senior part of this board watched Brad's last endeavor, and watched it fail miserably, and even have a negative effect on people that worked on that project's livelihood. If this game gets made, awesome. That doesn't guarantee it will be "good". If it's actually enjoyable? Great. People aren't going to be mad about someone introducing another option to this shitty genre. Making the game, and making it entertaining with staying power is difficult. This genre has showed for at least a decade that that rarely happens. Add on the fact that you have someone notorious for mishandling a project like this? You have your reason why people remain extremely skeptical.

I hope this game gets made, and is a solid game. That doesn't make it likely. They have a really long ways to go.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The term "easy-mode" is a term I used to use, and now laugh at. There are things in WoW, that are so much more difficult than EQ ever was "skill-wise". Other than massive time investments camping or grinding etc.

Anyways, there is some heavily rose-tinted glasses in here. A large, senior part of this board watched Brad's last endeavor, and watched it fail miserably, and even have a negative effect on people that worked on that project's livelihood. If this game gets made, awesome. That doesn't guarantee it will be "good". If it's actually enjoyable? Great. People aren't going to be mad about someone introducing another option to this shitty genre. Making the game, and making it entertaining with staying power is difficult. This genre has showed for at least a decade that that rarely happens. Add on the fact that you have someone notorious for mishandling a project like this? You have your reason why people remain extremely skeptical.

I hope this game gets made, and is a solid game. That doesn't make it likely. They have a really long ways to go.

If only we had your apathetic indifference more often.

• 1Triggered
  • 1Worf

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I still remember seeing the NK/SK bridge for the first time and the music that hit it. All time favorite music is still West Karana though. Nothing really to do there, but great music along that beach line area. 16 hours to level from 32-34 at the treant camp in SK to get my necro 34 pet (which was a massive upgrade). Good times.
Edit: a-w-k-w-a-r-d... that's what I get for not finishing the thread and replying.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
just watched the jim lee stream. I did like the little popup things and environmental clues for finding keys and stuff. but thats just a one -off so they'll need a buncha stuff like that in game to keep it interesting. One thing that was cool was the boss fight in that zone, i liked how the music changed and the entrance slammed shut. Was more than i was expecting from these guys.
the perception system sounds like it could be promising, like how the music changed when they walked by that point of interest face-thing before the dungeon, I can see exploration being fun in this game, which is almost unheard of now in the mmo genre.

who is joppa, isnt he someone from this forum, i cant remember? He seemed to be the knowledgeable one on stream and i was getting annoyed when mcquaid would cut him off sometimes and say something useless, and it didnt help that his mic was way louder. I noticed there were many times where mcquaid actually referred questions from jim lee to joppa..is joppa the only one that knows whats going on over there?

Something tells me this game's development is progressing despite mcquaid, rather than because of him. Hopefully this will continue to release

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Zaide

TLP Idealist
just watched the jim lee stream. I did like the little popup things and environmental clues for finding keys and stuff. but thats just a one -off so they'll need a buncha stuff like that in game to keep it interesting. One thing that was cool was the boss fight in that zone, i liked how the music changed and the entrance slammed shut. Was more than i was expecting from these guys.
the perception system sounds like it could be promising, like how the music changed when they walked by that point of interest face-thing before the dungeon, I can see exploration being fun in this game, which is almost unheard of now in the mmo genre.

who is joppa, isnt he someone from this forum, i cant remember? He seemed to be the knowledgeable one on stream and i was getting annoyed when mcquaid would cut him off sometimes and say something useless, and it didnt help that his mic was way louder. I noticed there were many times where mcquaid actually referred questions from jim lee to joppa..is joppa the only one that knows whats going on over there?

Something tells me this game's development is progressing despite mcquaid, rather than because of him. Hopefully this will continue to release

Joppa and Sarudan are a big part of what saved Pantheon. They aren't natives of FoH but Joppa does have an account here.

Convo is also a designer there and he is a native FoH forum member.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

zinc_turtle

Trakanon Raider
is joppa the only one that knows whats going on over there?
For the most part, yes. He's the one making all the core design decisions, and "balance" changes.
When the time comes for the sweeping combat changes, proc normalization, nerfing, buffing, core role removal, arbitrary increase in challenge, using server averages for decisions, reducing fun, DPS hierarchy adjustments, all that? You'll be blaming him.

If you're familiar with Chris Spears at Portalarium, or the role that Jared Sweatt(Lockeye) had in EQ2 during it's peak, that roughly correlates with Joppa.

• 1Worf

Dullahan

Golden Knight of the Realm
Could he not relaunch his kickstarter again now?
Most who would pledged have done so already. Unless they could convince people that a decent kickstarter would seriously expedite the launch, I do not think it would succeed.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Most who would pledged have done so already. Unless they could convince people that a decent kickstarter would seriously expedite the launch, I do not think it would succeed.

It would certainly be a real barometer of where interest levels are at if it succeeded, but I think it would be more likely to push more people off the fence than it would pull. They got their leg up, and now it's time for them to run on the legs they've got, put up or shut up. What I've seen shows potential, I'm in at this point, unless I see some holy levels of retarded start flying around.

• 1Like

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
I wonder what would happen to the outlook for this game if the dev team managed to somehow oust brad from the project. i for one would most likely donate.

• 2Picard
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Uh? They like Brad? And they probably would not even be involved in the first place if not for him?

• 3Like
  • 2Blown
Reactions: 4 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I agree, I do think people want the kind of game Pantheon is shaping up to be, but a lot of the skepticism has more to do with Brad than with the game itself. And to be fair, that's not unjustified - the original Kickstarter was a disaster and a lot of people around here were extremely hyped for Vanguard and we know how that story ends. Brad was at the center of a monumental clusterfuck once before and it's fine to be skeptical as he gives it another go. Let's not forget that Vanguard looked pretty amazing on paper and in videos, up until people started being able to play and realized there were some deep problems.

That said, there are a few who seem to have developed an emotional attachment to seeing this thing fail and aren't willing to back down from that. This thread is pretty old and there was a long period where we had no real information to talk about so I suppose 1000 pages of dirtbike memes and autistic slapfights will get some people pretty firmly rooted in their positions, but still - it's a fucking video game. If it comes out and is worth the price, awesome. If we get another Vanguard, I'll be disappointed for a bit and move on to the next thing.

Overall, as they've been showing more and more gameplay the tone seems to have shifted from 'this will never see the light of day' to something approaching cautious optimism. There are still real concerns, but in the barren hellscape that is the MMO market in 2018, I'm glad someone's even trying.

Good post. But like you said, let us not forget why the genre is in the BS state it is in. And he was a direct part of that within two Corps.

Doesn’t matter. Water under the bridge, but still pissed off, as we all should be, how cool this genre could have been until they all burnt their own damn bridge.

And it isn’t all him either. The same bs artists (I won’t label him there because I think he really is turning around and learned his lesson) are still in charge with BS like crowfall and Jacobs and those people, are pretty much like pitchford on steroids if you ever fund them.

Sucks. We should be playing some pretty epic MMORPGs right now, but the people who brought the genre are the same people that fucked their own wallet.

Let’s hope someone up stairs sees the value in this genre done right. Blizzard is even a shell of what it used to be.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I still think the 800 lb gorilla in the room is WoW and all the kiss-Blizzard's-ass fanboi's they bring with them. What happened with McQuaid was horrid, but nowhere near as horrid as watching rabid Blizzard fanboi's rushing to the defense of their favorite company. This is the main cause of the BS state that the genre is currently in, at least in my opinion.

McQuaid may have a role, but a small one. A footnote in history, as they like to say. We prolly think of the guys who invented Sojourn so many years ago the way that this generation thinks of McQuaid. "Oh yah, THAT guy..." Of course, as someone who's seen more than his fair share of Brad's posts, there's someone who can turn a footnote into a novel real fucking fast.

If the game ever does actually get released, it'll be hacked within the first week, perhaps even the first day. Some dupe hack, or some speed hack (*cough*vanguard*cough), or perhaps some hitting trick that just causes you to fall over dead. Then, word will spread. "Hey, another shitty game." It's not just up until it releases, it's well after it releases that it's gotta worry about with it being always online.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

You didn't hear? He became one of the fallen a while back, shilled it enough here they let him in. Hopefully he starts a FOH guild when the game hits post pre-alpha-beta in a few years.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
At this fucking point, what else do we have to look forward to? Have you seen the list of upcoming MMO's? The entire genre is on life support, and perhaps it'll never be what it once was, but Pantheon is as close as any MMO is going to get (as sad as that may seem).