• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Yeah.

Unity can't handle a big open world.
I imagine it can handle open world with proper utilization of streaming and memory calls. Given the Supreme Visionary's track record though, sticking with zones seems prudent.

Mat'hir Uth Gan

Trakanon Raider
They did say something along the lines of "one of Pantheon's zones will be the size of all the Karana plains (N, S, E, and W) lumped together", so in many ways, if that is true, that's going to seem a lot like a seamless world.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
They did say something along the lines of "one of Pantheon's zones will be the size of all the Karana plains (N, S, E, and W) lumped together", so in many ways, if that is true, that's going to seem a lot like a seamless world.

Seamless worlds are stupid. Deal with the gotdam zoning.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

orionTZ1998

Golden Squire
...until you zone out of it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Other than annoying pvp shit, like zone dancing/plugging, zoning never bothered me- as long as the zone times are fast. I liked having dozens of little microcosms (zones) within the broader game world. Different zones had different feelings- different personalities. I liked being able to run from a big ass train, knowing all I need to do is hit that sweet, sweet zoneline and I'm home free- much better than leashing bullshit. I also remember standing in front of certain zonelines (Fear for example) with that nervous feeling of excitement right before I zone in. I could dig a contiguous world, but I wouldn't mind one with zones either.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I also really never minded zones. Never really was a reason to hate them aside the 5 seconds wait. I would rather have that than Vanguiards "chunking" any day. Besides, even wow and its seamless world still had "zones" except they did not have the 5 second load time. But still a sometimes drastic and unrealistic change in atmosphere, lighting, shit even climate. so while it was seamless, it was still artificial and provided nothing except the 5 seconds.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I also really never minded zones. Never really was a reason to hate them aside the 5 seconds wait. I would rather have that than Vanguiards "chunking" any day. Besides, even wow and its seamless world still had "zones" except they did not have the 5 second load time. But still a sometimes drastic and unrealistic change in atmosphere, lighting, shit even climate. so while it was seamless, it was still artificial and provided nothing except the 5 seconds.
Well, that’s kind of the point though. All seamless games have zones. The reason they’re seamless is because of how the development team/engine handles background loading. With Vanguard, the zones were obvious because either the engine or dev team (or both) didn’t structure how assets were loaded and unloaded in a way that made it feel seamless. WoW does a much better job of streaming assets (loading and unloading) in the background, but if you ride a taxi or a fast mount across highly populated areas on a shitty PC, you’ll get the same zoning/loading screens as good ol EQ.

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
That's a quite pathetic 15 years.

Can you explain to me how the combat in Pantheon differs from other MMORPGs offer, other than the hideous and terribly unnatural combat animations?

1. Spells can fizzle
2. Spells are not 100% guaranteed hit, they can be resisted and physical hits often are misses... this keeps you on your toes
3. Monsters don't die in 3 hits solo, it takes a group to take them down
4. There are skills that you need to improve and I'm guessing these skills (like EQ) will take a long time to level up (unlike in WoW when it was trivial) like 1 HS, Conjuration, Dodge...etc
5. Combat is more resource oriented where resource management is a key; so many times in Pantheon casters go Out Of Mana and they had to stop to med; when was the last time we get to do that in any recent game? There's no point in the "mana/energy" bar in the most recent games it's almost always full... sometimes I wonder why they even bother?
6. Offensive/Defensive targets like in Vanguard (which is not very common in any MMORPG)
7. Classes have roles (unlike in recent games like GW2 and BDO where playing a role in a group did not exist)
8. Roles are not limited to Tank, Healer, DPS... you need a puller, CCer, Slower...etc. When was the last time you needed to split mobs and break a room for grinding?
9. Monks
10. Breaking a room takes time and wipes are very common (did you watch the recent videos?) I haven't seen that ever since EQ
11. Dungeons are not instanced; you will meet other players while delving in a dungeon

I can think of many more, but you get the picture...

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Man, Brad's Vision must be growing old at some point. I know he wants to relive his glory days of Oxy bottles that never empty and a dirt bike that never empties on gas and a lambo that he never has to repair. But fuck.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Man, Brad's Vision must be growing old at some point. I know he wants to relive his glory days of Oxy bottles that never empty and a dirt bike that never empties on gas and a lambo that he never has to repair. But fuck.

WoW was initially a copy of much of Brad's "Vision", but they left out the danger and added quest icons. Blizzard is pretty good at stealing stuff (see WarHammer) and most of the big tech companies are too. WoW made questing better and other improvements. Today WoW still has millions of subs and is making a ton of cash off of Brad's "Vision".

Mmos have gotten away from what made EQ and early WoW great. Brad is bringing it back, plus stuff that was never copied. Hopefully it works, we'll see.

Last edited:
  • 5Picard
  • 2Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 7 users