Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Xander Crews

Molten Core Raider
Thought I would post an update on my MMO thoughts post WOW Classic launch. After giving it a few weeks, I can’t stand the cartoonish art style, the “layering”/instancing, automation of play/endless mods and the general carebear tendencies of the devs even before the next phases are released (it will only get worse from here). I have been impressed with the smooth combat and the animations however.

Given a preference for an updated EQ1 classic experience, there really is no alternative save for the potential vapor ware that is Pantheon. I am open to alternatives or suggestions - I tried FF14, ended up sitting in an instanced zone with an auto queue timer ticking down, without interacting with anyone including during the run (effectively the same as WOW Live in that regard).

Clearly, I get the annoyance with the Pantheon Dev team, but realistically what is else is there for those of us who prefer a more traditional MMO experience (social, non-instanced, distinct character classes, challenging, inspired by D&D rulesets etc...)? Given that I see no alternative, I will probably pledge and see what I can do to help out development.

• 3Picard
  • 2Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 5 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
tenor.gif

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 4 users

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Thought I would post an update on my MMO thoughts post WOW Classic launch. After giving it a few weeks, I can’t stand the cartoonish art style, the “layering”/instancing, automation of play/endless mods and the general carebear tendencies of the devs even before the next phases are released (it will only get worse from here). I have been impressed with the smooth combat and the animations however.

Given a preference for an updated EQ1 classic experience, there really is no alternative save for the potential vapor ware that is Pantheon. I am open to alternatives or suggestions - I tried FF14, ended up sitting in an instanced zone with an auto queue timer ticking down, without interacting with anyone including during the run (effectively the same as WOW Live in that regard).

Clearly, I get the annoyance with the Pantheon Dev team, but realistically what is else is there for those of us who prefer a more traditional MMO experience (social, non-instanced, distinct character classes, challenging, inspired by D&D rulesets etc...)? Given that I see no alternative, I will probably pledge and see what I can do to help out development.

Throwing money at failure won't save it. They aren't doing anything. The updates are all weak and miniscule. At this point you need to just accept that the developers either are not working hard or are not talented programmers.

I want what you want but this is just not it. The everquest skeleton crew that doesn't play their own game put out more routine positive updates and overall good than the pantheon project of supposedly dedicated devs. Pantheon IS vaporware. In 10 years all that will be left are the memes.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I don't know how they have cash, but at this point I doubt it'll be vaporware, once cash gets tight they'll be forced to release it FTP with a cash shop to try and strangle out any last pennies from the Brad faithful.

It's not going to be a successful game, their tech already looks dated and the MMO space is dried up. WOW classic is scratching the itch for the MMO diehards and Pantheon is going to be a huge kick in the nuts to a WoW fan.

• 1Like

dizzie

Triggered Happy
If and when this gets released Brad and co will pander to whatever gay ass mechanics the masses want at some point. This game will just be like anything else, except it will have been in development for 20 years and look like it was made in 2010.

Pantheons not the answer for hardcore mmo fans.

Xander Crews

Molten Core Raider
I don't know how they have cash, but at this point I doubt it'll be vaporware, once cash gets tight they'll be forced to release it FTP with a cash shop to try and strangle out any last pennies from the Brad faithful.

It's not going to be a successful game, their tech already looks dated and the MMO space is dried up. WOW classic is scratching the itch for the MMO diehards and Pantheon is going to be a huge kick in the nuts to a WoW fan.
If and when this gets released Brad and co will pander to whatever gay ass mechanics the masses want at some point. This game will just be like anything else, except it will have been in development for 20 years and look like it was made in 2010.

Pantheons not the answer for hardcore mmo fans.

Ok - lets assume for a moment that is true. Is there any alternative? Any? My understanding is no - given that there is literally no alternative, should we not at least try to help them achieve these mutual goals in some way?

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Ok - lets assume for a moment that is true. Is there any alternative? Any? My understanding is no - given that there is literally no alternative, should we not at least try to help them achieve these mutual goals in some way?
Plenty of alternatives out there, nothing released recently, but Pantheon is going to look like a 2010 game anyway. So anything released in the past decade is just as viable.
I couldn't even think of them all tbh so I did a quick google search:

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Throwing money at failure won't save it. They aren't doing anything. The updates are all weak and miniscule. At this point you need to just accept that the developers either are not working hard or are not talented programmers.

I want what you want but this is just not it. The everquest skeleton crew that doesn't play their own game put out more routine positive updates and overall good than the pantheon project of supposedly dedicated devs. Pantheon IS vaporware. In 10 years all that will be left are the memes.

While what you are claiming may be entirely true, there are a bunch of crowd funded mmo's in development atm and they all are suffering from being long overdue. You could make the exact same claims about those mmo's also. Some people do, but by and large most of the hatred and ire is directed at Brad and his efforts.

So i tend not to listen to many of the detractors here, mainly because of the overboard pile on that has happened. There isn't any reason or logic involved in most of the Brad attacks, just pure hatred.

• 1Salty

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>

No, I'll do just fine without an MMO before I start supporting something I believe will fail.

• 1Like

yerm

While what you are claiming may be entirely true, there are a bunch of crowd funded mmo's in development atm and they all are suffering from being long overdue. You could make the exact same claims about those mmo's also. Some people do, but by and large most of the hatred and ire is directed at Brad and his efforts.

So i tend not to listen to many of the detractors here, mainly because of the overboard pile on that has happened. There isn't any reason or logic involved in most of the Brad attacks, just pure hatred.

It's your money. If you can't see the valid laundry list of reasons why everyone else here has gone from biggest fanbase on the internet to a falling meme repository, well, it was your money.

Mat'hir Uth Gan

Trakanon Raider

This is generally my thought process as well. I enjoyed EQ1, EQ2, and Vanguard. All games Brad had a heavy hand in developing. He's batting 1.000% for me. I'm fairly confident this game won't live up to my hopes, but that it will still be something I find enjoyable to some degree. In the meantime, having fun on Classic WoW, so Pantheon can be out of sight and mind for awhile, hopefully they make some actual progress. This Project Faerthale update needs to deliver.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Camelot is far closer to release than this so if you want to support something, that's where I'd waste my money. For a short time, Brad and co. released some updates and gameplay but it's been quite a while and that 'master' zone is months overdue for anyone who seriously thought they were working hard at getting this finished. I doubt we see more than a continent or over 40 levels of advancement when that final digital dump-off comes in 2024 (if they even last that long).

• 1Like

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
This is generally my thought process as well. I enjoyed EQ1, EQ2, and Vanguard. All games Brad had a heavy hand in developing. He's batting 1.000% for me. I'm fairly confident this game won't live up to my hopes, but that it will still be something I find enjoyable to some degree. In the meantime, having fun on Classic WoW, so Pantheon can be out of sight and mind for awhile, hopefully they make some actual progress. This Project Faerthale update needs to deliver.

Pretty sure Brad has nothing to do with EQ2. Just sayin.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
If anything is shown by Blizzard releasing WoW classic, it's that WoW classic has taken over EQ's "spot" for remembering the good old days.

Wish somebody would take a fork and stick in EQ, 'cause it's done.

yerm

If anything is shown by Blizzard releasing WoW classic, it's that WoW classic has taken over EQ's "spot" for remembering the good old days.

Wish somebody would take a fork and stick in EQ, 'cause it's done.

Oh please. Just because eq doesn't have big titty thots streaming it for you to watch and obsess over doesn't mean it's dead. People have been calling it dead since 2004. It's the same as its been for a decade. Wow classic took some chunks from eqs newest tlps but only scratched at the rest of its servers. By and large it was wow live that got absolutely murdered the most by classic. Pokemon go hurt phinny more than wow classic hurt mangler...

• 1Like

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Look, if you wanna go play EQ, go play EQ. There's no one stopping you. EQ's servers are still alive, I would say "and well" but I'm not sure that applies.

Of course it did, 'cause that's all that people remember. People have extremely short attention spans, and more of them are being born this very second. What do you wanna bet that in two years time, we're gonna start seeing some, "Remember the aughts?" Or, I suppose I should state incorrectly, like 90% of the people out there will do, "Remember the 2000's?" Just like we're seeing right now with, "Remember the 90's?"

I'm just stating that time moves on, things change, and things that people remember changes with them. Whine and cry about it all you like, but you're starting to sound like a whiny old man, crying in his beer over something that he lost.

• 1Picard

yerm

Look, if you wanna go play EQ, go play EQ. There's no one stopping you. EQ's servers are still alive, I would say "and well" but I'm not sure that applies.

Of course it did, 'cause that's all that people remember. People have extremely short attention spans, and more of them are being born this very second. What do you wanna bet that in two years time, we're gonna start seeing some, "Remember the aughts?" Or, I suppose I should state incorrectly, like 90% of the people out there will do, "Remember the 2000's?" Just like we're seeing right now with, "Remember the 90's?"

I'm just stating that time moves on, things change, and things that people remember changes with them. Whine and cry about it all you like, but you're starting to sound like a whiny old man, crying in his beer over something that he lost.

I didn't lose anything. You went off about eq being dead due to wow classic, in a pantheon thread. I clicked your post history to see what games you DO play and if maybe you were a former eq tlper talking from experience, but nah, all I saw related to gaming was thot streamer shit. Eq is fine, same as its been for a decade now, and doing better than pantheon will likely ever be.