Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

zinc_turtle

Trakanon Raider
Looks like crafting is going to be OFF THE HOOK, YO!
From their shiny new crafting volunteer dev:
" ... this is an area where we haven't quite landed on a specific implementation or formula just yet, so I can't give you a very specific answer. We're looking at a few options and we may actually try several of them during alpha to see how they actually play out with a larger group of players over a longer period of time. ... So there are a lot of variables that we still need to work out before we lock into to exactly how things will be done. We do want there to be interdependency because it's good for the economy and good for socialization, especially early in the life of the game, but how far we go or how specifically we end up implementing it is still TBD. "

The best part of crowdfunded indie niche pre-pre-pre-alpha projects is having fundamental design decisions still TBD, on the 6.83th anniversary of effort. The BEST.
Damn, I wish I had the bravery and courage to work for a company with such insight, vision, planning, and forethought.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
7 years and they don’t even have a starting point for how they want crafting to work. Mother of god they’re slow.

• 4Like
  • 4Worf
Reactions: 7 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
ckB.gif

• 2Worf
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I really don't see how other MMOs had these amazing crafting systems.

"Loops" aside, I liked Skyrim's the most. I "liked" the Warhammer one the least. Why was time even wasted there? Knowing what it would be, why do it? I had maxed talismans and tons of potions on hand sure but it was real cringe.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
My ideal MMO crafting system would be:
- Multiple professions to choose from, pick only one per character to specialize in, subclasses would further define lesser specialty for making subcomponents. Your primary specialization would make the biggest quality items.

- Gathering skills independent of crafting system, mixed in with adventuring system (EQ1-style drops with the option to do EQ2-style gathering, but not require the EQ1-style drops to progress)

- Interdependency between primary classes/subclasses, so that you will need to actually interact outside of your trade to create finished products. (EQ2 did this early in its lifecycle and it was amazing for a game like Pantheon wants to be.)

- RuneScape/XIV style progression/XP system. Milestones on leveling up to create new items, general item strength is relative to the quality level of the materials you gather through the EQ1-style drop system, combined with the quality of the items from subcomponent combines. Effectively a long grind that you get better at doing as time goes on with no catchup mechanics.

-Racial based crafting. Being a renowned <race> <crafter class> was the one thing about EQ1's crafting system that was done extremely well, and fits right into the 'roleplaying' aspect of early MMOs that was lost in modern titles.

-Ability to augment existing gear through the tradeskill system, as opposed to only gear that comes from crafting. Adding a few extra stats, or an enchantment, is really well done in WoW, but I always thought keeping it to just 'enchanting' was poor design.

Do that, and put it in Pantheon. There's your crafting system. That'll be $100 for the FoH consultation fee.

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I pretty much hate crafting in MMO's, but WoW probably did it the best. I liked how they had self only "bonuses" for the professions at the highest levels.

I remember going Jewelcrafting on my Tauren Warrior to socket my gear with the very best HPs gems to have an insane health pool. I would have 1000's more hp's than any other Warrior on the server and people were amazed.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
Yeah but that's not allowed anymore in MMOs. Everyone's the same and balanced, the only difference is the colour of the bolt you're shooting.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users