Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Mr. Sox

Trakanon Raider
The thing you got to understand about New World is that Amazon has got a ton of money to weather the storm, unlike these smaller independent studios. If they can afford to release a few bad years of content, they will be alright. At this point, Daybreak and Blizzard are unstoppable because they have funding from major backers and the resources to make it happen. I am sure they will be some more layoffs in the future.

Mobile seems to be the wave of the future. It is a lot cheaper, easier to manage, and the development time is very short. The average gaming company spends like 7-10 years to make it to the market for about six months' worth of sales.

I know this is going to sound funny but I wouldn't be surprised if Raid Shadow Legend releases an MMO version sometime in the future. Most gaming companies do it in reverse nowadays and that is where I think that is where they make their mistakes. Bank all of your money. You need to establish your brand first so people get to know the product and then build upon the foundation afterward. if you have no money in the beginning, you are praying that someone has pity on you, you are going to be waiting a long time.

I know I can be an annoying piece of shit. When you have a long public development cycle you got to expect people to get involved and express their discourse. i feel that Liz Woolley was never in my corner, and I think the gaming companies were told to stay free from it. Someone always knows.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
The thing you got to understand about New World is that Amazon has got a ton of money to weather the storm, unlike these smaller independent studios. If they can afford to release a few bad years of content, they will be alright.
No. Contrary to your belief, Amazon is not a charity, or else there would be no "piss bottle" meme. New World has no subscription, so once even the cash shop dries up (because no one plays anymore), the party will be over. There will not be "a few bad years of content", there will be "no content ever again."
Amazon cancelled the Lord of the Rings MMO, and multiple other unannounced projects. What makes you think they will not write off New World as another failure, in a long string of failures?

At this point, Daybreak and Blizzard are unstoppable because they have funding from major backers.
Daybreak? Major backer? Which one? Daybreak lives off a small subset of autists continuously trying to relive their glory days. The perpetual Polk High "four touchdowns in a game!"

Blizzard? Oh, Bobby will make sure WoW makes money, no matter what, one way or the other. They stayed afloat because they repeatedly convinced people to buy the next expansion, with shallow promises of "this time will be different!"--but players are fed up by now. Subscriptions should be below 500k, so they are with their backs against the wall. Or else they wouldn't have allowed cross-faction play. And if they don't deliver with Dragonflight they will all be replaced by cheaper Chinese and Vietnamese sweat shop developers, just like their Art & Assets department was.

Trust is a very important currency in the MMO space, because at the core MMO are time investment games. So if players don't trust the developer and his roadmap, that game is doomed. This is the reason Nirgon is so desperate in this thread to convince people that "development in Pan'theon is still going strong". A bit like a Baghdad Bob who fell on hard times, having to sell hobo blowjobs in the park.

Mobile seems to be the wave of the future. It is a lot cheaper, easier to manage, and doesn't take as long to make. The average gaming company spends like 7-10 years to make it to the market for about six months' worth of sales.
Yes and no. Yes if you develop a cheap "social" game, which can be shat out yearly. These are not real MMO games, though, but "whale fishing expeditions" where the matchmaking is balanced to optimize profit. Compare it to Diablo Immortal, which took more than four years for that "Blizzard polish," with reused assets from D3, and code from a failed Netease game.

Mr. Sox

Trakanon Raider

Neranja, in response to your posting, Daybreak is now part of EG7. The owners of EG7 have over 200 Developers in Sweden. Last year they bought up at least 4 studios to add to their profile. They paid 300 million alone for the Daybreak product. They don't make any real money on Subs-Cash Shops, maybe 15 million a year. The real money is in the licensing of their product.​

Blizzard's real money comes from Candy Crush. a mobile game. Now Diablo Immortal. We live in a day and age where everyone has a phone. I saw a homeless person the other day with a cell phone in P&L District. What sense does that make? I come from a family of doctors, two of which are Chiropractors. Their business has exploded in the last 10 years due to cell phones use and neck problems.

Smedley and Bobby from what I can tell are two very smart and savvy businessmen in order to stay on top this long. Yes, they have had their issues in the past and I bet the scars run pretty deep. This is why you filled fill your moat with alligators before the castle battle.

I have never liked WOW. The only thing I have ever liked about WOW is the theme of Stormwind.

I realize this is an MMOPRG forum but in the grand scheme of things we are just a grain of sand on a beach somewhere.

I wish companies would be more transparent with the people but a lot of them are scared of being investigated by the government and end up in a pickle like COE. This way you don't promise stuff and get in trouble. It pissed me off to see Pantheon content creators offering prize support, like Alpha packages, if you follow their channel. They never filled their promise to give away 50 Pantheon Logo T-shirts 2 1/2 years ago. Mean what you say, say what you mean. I think people have the noblest intentions when they start these projects but somewhere along the way they get lost in the forest and can't find their way back out.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>

Neranja, in response to your posting, Daybreak is now part of EG7. The owners of EG7 have over 200 Developers in Sweden. Last year they bought up at least 4 studios to add to their profile. They paid 300 million alone for the Daybreak product. They don't make any real money on Subs-Cash Shops, maybe 15 million a year. The real money is in the licensing of their product.​

Blizzard's real money comes from Candy Crush. a mobile game. Now Diablo Immortal. We live in a day and age where everyone has a phone. I saw a homeless person the other day with a cell phone in P&L District. What sense does that make? I come from a family of doctors, two of which are Chiropractors. Their business has exploded in the last 10 years due to cell phones use and neck problems.
I realize that you like to cling to your Hopium, but let's put it this way, in an ELI5 way:

You are a company with three departments: (a) Call of Duty (b) Candy Crush (c) World of Warcraft
  • Department (a) recently fell on hart times with an inferior annual product, but has good prospects to flourish again next year with the next product.
  • Department (b) is making good money every year, and is driving profits for the whole enterprise.
  • Department (c) is repeatedly having issues for years, but is basically still selling an 17 year old product. Sure, it has got facelifts and is painted in trending colors, but at its core the product is old and fell out of fashion with the young target audience. The old customers are a whiny bunch however, and all they do is complain. Customer support had to be shifted to India or automated because of all the effort required.
Would you keep pissing away company profit from departments (a) and (b) just to keep department (c) afloat? Every bean counter in this world would advise you to take department (c) behind the shed and shoot it at your earliest convenience.

Don't believe me? Blizzard had Heroes of the Storm, which made them money at the end of the day, as in: the product was in the black. Yet it didn't make them ENOUGH money, so they took it behind the shed and shot it. End of story.

Now, why would EG7 buy Daybreak? You are already on the somewhat right track: "licensing of their product". Except the "product" may not be the running games, but the customer information, the IP, and maybe the brands. So, how will a new product look like? Daybreak may have synergy with Innova, so what did they put out recently?
  • Crowfall
  • Ragnarok Online
  • Black Desert
I think they're fucked.

I have never liked WOW. The only thing i have ever liked about wow is the theme of Stormwind.

I realize this is a MMOPRG forum but in the grand scheme of things we are just a grain of sand on a beach somewhere
Your likes, dislikes, daily caloric input, as well as the consistency of your stool are totally irrelevant.

• 1Double Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Mr. Sox

Trakanon Raider
What was the most successful property that DB owned? It was Free Realms like heroes, and they closed it down in fear of child predator claims. Like the holiday season, most gaming companies lose money throughout the year until it is time to release a new expansion.

Lucas pulled the licensing from them after they made everyone a Jedi. It completely fucked the project. Lucas is notorious for pulling his license with the old company when they have a new project to promote. Lucas liked to change things up.

I would adventure to say that DC Online makes more money than EQ. I heard Daybreak is developing something in Austin right now. I have heard it is a mobile game or it could be the new EQ Next. I would think it would be stupid to cannibalize your very own money makers at this point by releasing a new EQ.

LOTR is a project that will be short-lived in this industry. Ten Cent fucked Amazon over on the deal. DB version doesn't stand a chance even after the graphics update. There are already problems with the production of the TV series.

The pool of players has been drying up for years. The next industry leap is destined to come with VR, but the technology is not there yet. Think about it. In the 70's you made a sword out of a broomstick and a shield out of a trash can lid. Then you ran around the sewers looking for little Johnny and gold. Then came MUDS, followed by MUDS with Graphics, and eventually VR. People have become more and more isolated sitting in front of their computer screens or phone.

It amazes me that with 25 years under the belt, all of these gaming companies keep making the same mistakes over and over thinking their way is better like a bunch of fucking used car salesmen.

After 25 years of EQ and WOW, all of the good ideas are gone and have been tried a million different times.

Look and see how many times certain brands evolved thru the years and still stay popular, like Pokémon. Card games to a movie to video games to phones. Whats next?

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You always have so much to say but at least 90% of it is wrong or you talking out of your ass. But at least you've started taking your meds again and its at least semi-coherent rambling.

Also:
17bbiz.jpg

Mr. Sox

Trakanon Raider
I give my brother shit too about the doctor tag. They know I love them. Btw, today is my birthday. I don't take meds. I am allergic to about everything. I talk from my experiences. You would make a good co-host on my podcast.

Last edited:

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
What was the most successful property that DB owned? It was Free Realms like heroes, and they closed it down in fear of child predator claims. Like the holiday season, most gaming companies lose money throughout the year until it is time to release a new expansion.
Free Realms was nothing like Heroes. You didn't even google the game when you don't know what it was?

Also, are you sure about that claim of "child predator" fears? You want to tell us that Smedley had more moral backbone than Roblox, of all things? Smedley never saw a dollar in his life he didn't like. It's far more likely that lots of people signed up, but no one played and even less payed for the damn thing.

Lucas pulled the licensing from them after they made everyone a Jedi. It completely fucked the project. Lucas is notorious for pulling his license with the old company when they have a new project to promote. Lucas liked to change things up.
Lucas pulled the plug on SWG because it was an abysmal commercial failure. Why would you build a Koster-Sandbox from a Star Wars license, when you WANT everyone to be a Jedi or Sith in a theme park? As in: this is the entire selling point of the game? They pulled the plug because EA made them a better deal with SW:ToR, and the town is not big enough for two Star Wars MMOs.

I would adventure to say that DC Online makes more money than EQ. I heard Daybreak is developing something in Austin right now. I have heard it is a mobile game or it could be the new EQ Next. I would think it would be stupid to cannibalize your very own money makers at this point by releasing a new EQ.
Surely you have some sources for your claims that are not "your ass."

LOTR is a project that will be short-lived in this industry. Ten Cent fucked Amazon over on the deal. DB version doesn't stand a chance even after the graphics update. There are already problems with the production of the TV series.
You need to mind your tenses: The current LOTR is from 2007 still going and receiving expansions. The Amazon LOTR MMO tied to their upcoming series is very dead and will never live. There is no "short-lived" there. Also, the quality of the TV production is totally irrelevant to the game. If one sucks the other can be salvageable.

The pool of players has been drying up for years. The next industry leap is destined to come with VR, but the technology is not there yet. Think about it. In the 70's you made a sword out of a broomstick and a shield out of a trash can lid. Then you ran around the sewers looking for little Johnny and gold. Then came MUDS, followed by MUDS with Graphics, and eventually VR. People have become more and more isolated sitting in front of their computer screens or phone.
It is far more likely that the VR thing will turn into a "Ready Player One" multiverse game hub thing, because that is what Hollywood sold to the masses as the hip thing. Singular MMO games are dead in the water with VR, though. The tech is currently too heavy to play multiple hours.

You probably have been watching too much stupid anime like Sword Art Online. Although in that one it is quite obvious that the game itself is super shit, and no one wanted to play.

It amazes me that with 25 years under the belt, all of these gaming companies keep making the same mistakes over and over thinking their way is better like a bunch of fucking used car salesmen.
After 25 years of EQ and WOW, all of the good ideas are gone and have been tried a million different times.
Look and see how many times certain brands evolved thru the years and still stay popular, like Pokémon. Card games to a movie to video games to phones. Whats next?
Because developers and designers at gaming companies have a short half-life, much like the studios themselves. If it's not profitable it is dead, and developers are fired and rehired constantly.
Also, MMO games have more to do with accounting and keeping track of stuff, and every developer who really knows how these work and can explain what "ACID properties" are, could instantly triple his salary in more traditional companies. So you only get the young and inexperienced, or the old smoke blowers who still don't know how to get shit done.

• 1Like

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
To erase the nonsense:

Note to self: This cheese rolling event is amazing for this thread.

fail-fml.gif
FfEL31Q.gif

• 5Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 7 users

Mr. Sox

Trakanon Raider
First of all, you got to realize that Smed and Bobby are paid to do a job and to make profits for the company. Yes, Smedley did pull the plug on Free Realms. I think Free Realms may have been the first time that the DB store was in business with RMT. Smedley also pulled the plug on LON because of gambling accusations. He was quoted as saying that "We don't sell Power here" The Krono and the WOW token were produced to counter the Gold Farmers that plagued their games.

Just like Amazon, SOE produced some dud bombs as titles like The Matrix, The Agency, and Champions of Norrath. All it matters is to find the one gem that pays the bills like Everquest. Cosmetically EQ graphics are outdated now, and a future overhaul is needed.

Dimensional Ink, DB property, on their website last year announced a secret project in the works.

Last edited:

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
First of all, you got to realize that Smed and Bobby are paid to do a job and to make profits for the company. Yes, Smedley did pull the plug on Free Realms. I think Free Realms may have been the first time that the DB store was in business with RMT. Smedley also pulled the plug on LON because of gambling accusations. He was quoted as saying that "We don't sell Power here" The Krono and the WOW token were produced to counter the Gold Farmers that plagued their games.

Just like Amazon, SOE produced some dud bombs as titles like The Matrix, The Agency, and Champions of Norrath. All it matters is to find the one gems that pay the bills like Everquest. Cosmetically EQ graphics are outdated, and an overhaul is needed.

Dimensional Ink, DB property, on their website last year announced a secret project in the works.
Ok, Im done. You guys were correct.
7j52y.jpg

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is that an actual wheel of cheese on the left?

Yeah apparently its some event in ireland? Scotland? Somewhere near there. They roll a wheel of cheese down and then people have to race to the bottom and grab it. I saw a video about it the other day, some girl from NC traveled all the way there to do it and won. She basically just tumbled entire way down, not even trying to run.

• 1Worf

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
wat.gif.
Haven’t dived into this thread in a while. Came here expecting to see things falling. Not sure what to make of this latest twist in the thread

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah apparently its some event in ireland? Scotland? Somewhere near there. They roll a wheel of cheese down and then people have to race to the bottom and grab it. I saw a video about it the other day, some girl from NC traveled all the way there to do it and won. She basically just tumbled entire way down, not even trying to run.
Its a 200 year old tradition in England, the Cooper's Hill Cheese Race

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
wat.gif.
Haven’t dived into this thread in a while. Came here expecting to see things falling. Not sure what to make of this latest twist in the thread
Just pretend a certain poster doesn't exist and you can get it all back. The more you respond, the more it responds.
Its a 200 year old tradition in England, the Cooper's Hill Cheese Race

Ah, well its hilarious. And was amazing to watch. Could fill this thread over with just people falling down that hill for the last 200 years and I would be happy :p