Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Khane

Got something right about marriage
So because I don't live paycheck to paycheck and actually have money I can "invest" in things I am interested in, one of the things you want made I deserve to be ridiculed?

Are you an Occupy Wall Street kid? Do you think anybody that has the slightest bit of disposable income is an asshole? Why would you sarcastically attack somebody that wishes he could help make a game come to fruition?
Because he's not too swift, and what's worse for him is he thinks he's much smarter than he actually is.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I like the idea as well. Instead of Ding, level 15, pick your next talent tree tier, it's Ding level 15, now if you want to heal like a bloodmage, go out and hunt down that robe of bloodmageness and the rest of the armor that goes with it.
Exactly.. from what I understand, a lot of what you become as a class is found in the world. The abilities, gear, etc.. That's why Brad mentioned the 90/10 rule in regards to a class role you're in. There is a chance to find some awesome ability or 2 that make up the 10%. Not everyone in that role will have those 10% abilities.

Beating a dead horse but it sucks we are not talking about these features. They have so much potential to them.

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Because that's how you launch a Kickstarter. They have a fully fleshed out design document, game features, delivarables, a project plan, and a great team summary with plenty of due dilligence.

In essence, this project is everything the Pantheon isn't. No elite game insiders, either.
Checked out the page, very well done. The money is flowing in by the second, you can see it tick up every few secs lol.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
All this doom and gloom! I think it's safe to say Brad and team got the message about how they are running the KS.. Hopefully they drop new info today so we can move on.
Like the last week and a half....

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
on another note: am i the only one who really doesn't give a flying fuck about the story/lore in a MMO? i mean seriously, i played EQ from the very beginning to right around omens of war and knew all of jack shit about the lore of the game. yeah, i knew the basics, like innoruuk was the god of hate, and cazic thule was the god of fear, but aside from that, i didn't know fuck all about the actual lore of the game (nor did i care). i didn't play the game for the lore, i played the game because it was fun as shit and i enjoyed the dungeons/zones and making friends and finding rare loot, and finding new areas to explore. when i finally found out there were 2 dragons in the game i was excited as shit, but i really didn't give a shit about their back story, just that they were there, had awesome loot, and could be killed.

point is, seems like MMO's nowadays are way too focused on the lore and telling a story (which is always bland as fuck) and not enough about the actual world itself and the gameplay.

Spynx_sl

shitlord
LpFAo1M.gif
jesus that looks great....yes your penis.............. but seriously though, that game looks awesome

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Thanks for that Kingdom Come link. I'm actually intrigued enough to pitch in.
I wish there was a way to track the amount of money this thread generated to all of the kickstarters other than pantheon that have been linked.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
on another note: am i the only one who really doesn't give a flying fuck about the story/lore in a MMO? i mean seriously, i played EQ from the very beginning to right around omens of war and knew all of jack shit about the lore of the game. yeah, i knew the basics, like innoruuk was the god of hate, and cazic thule was the god of fear, but aside from that, i didn't know fuck all about the actual lore of the game (nor did i care). i didn't play the game for the lore, i played the game because it was fun as shit and i enjoyed the dungeons/zones and making friends and finding rare loot, and finding new areas to explore. when i finally found out there were 2 dragons in the game i was excited as shit, but i really didn't give a shit about their back story, just that they were there, had awesome loot, and could be killed.

point is, seems like MMO's nowadays are way too focused on the lore and telling a story (which is always bland as fuck) and not enough about the actual world itself and the gameplay.
Yes, you are the only person who hates lore and stories. Fuck off.

Kidding. The Dark Souls argument has been brought up before. Lore and storytelling is integral for a lot of people, but really has very little to do with the actual gameplay.

What MMO outside of SWTOR is too focused on the story side? Rift certainly didn't. WOW is all about the action and loot pinata, too. Even LOTR has more action and things to do, given it's rich lore and history.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Well that Deliverance game, if you watched the KS video, already had a private backer with $1.5 mil invested. Im sure with $1.5 mil privately invested brad would have a workable demo as well. Well hopefully. :0

IMO while Deliverance is a great kickstarter and good example of what it should be like, you just cannot compare the two. Brads game seems to be more in the initial design phase rather than already having 1.5 mil invested and probably a year or two development under its belt.

Its also easier for anyone to back something they can already see as being 1/2 to 3/4 done.

Not making excuses, just saying. Its like comparing apples to oranges.

Better comparison would be a game like Planescape, which was also in in the preliminary design stages when the initial kickstarter was released.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not a big lore guy. I actually think the lore in this game makes sense in regards to how they can go about adding and even taking away content. That's about as far as my interest will go.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Well that Deliverance game, if you watched the KS video, already had a private backer with $1.5 mil invested. Im sure with $1.5 mil privately invested brad would have a workable demo as well. Well hopefully. :0

IMO while Deliverance is a great kickstarter and good example of what it should be like, you just cannot compare the two. Brads game seems to be more in the initial design phase rather than already having 1.5 mil invested and probably a year or two development under its belt.
And that's kind of the point. Kickstarter isn't, at least in my opinion, supposed to be for games or products that are in initial design. They are supposed to be for products that are more or less thought out, even prototyped, but need additional funding to go in to full production. And most of the negative reaction has been for that precise reason: we're being asked to Kickstart the initial phase of the project, from the very start, with next to nothing shown about what direction the game will go in. I don't pay attention to most Kickstarters personally, but the couple that I have (Planetary Annihilation for one) were so much further along when they started asking for funds.

That PC Gamer link someone put up a couple pages ago specifically said that up to this point, the work on the game has consisted of "10 people working once or twice a week in a garage." I'm sorry, but that's just not good enough. Are they actually coding, animating, scripting and so on? Or are they passing around a bottle/joint and pie in the sky-ing shit for a couple hours here and there? Sounds to me like it's been the latter.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
PC GAMER!? I'm not getting my hopes up for that.. From what I get, they have a bunch of interviews dropping.. So we might be piecing some stuff together until then. Hopefully they will update the KS to make things easier with the new info..
I'm in agreement with Lithose. They shouldn't be piecemealing this out to 10 different traditional news outlets like a traditional PR campaign. Those little articles arn't going to get them the cash the same way as a well run social campaign will. These guys are still trying to run this like a traditional development studio + PR campaign and that just doesn't jive well with the funding route they've chosen.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Not a big lore guy. I actually think the lore in this game makes sense in regards to how they can go about adding and even taking away content. That's about as far as my interest will go.
I agree with this. I actually kind of like the lore for pantheon thus far, as much as I can not being a 'lore buff'.

the names however reak of dry erase board placeholders that they never got around to changing. like I said earlier, names don't matter unless they're so bad that it accentuates them.

like in this case.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
And that's kind of the point. Kickstarter isn't, at least in my opinion, supposed to be for games or products that are in initial design. They are supposed to be for products that are more or less thought out, even prototyped, but need additional funding to go in to full production. And most of the negative reaction has been for that precise reason: we're being asked to Kickstart the initial phase of the project, from the very start, with next to nothing shown about what direction the game will go in. I don't pay attention to most Kickstarters personally, but the couple that I have (Planetary Annihilation for one) were so much further along when they started asking for funds.

That PC Gamer link someone put up a couple pages ago specifically said that up to this point, the work on the game has consisted of "10 people working once or twice a week in a garage." I'm sorry, but that's just not good enough. Are they actually coding, animating, scripting and so on? Or are they passing around a bottle/joint and pie in the sky-ing shit for a couple hours here and there? Sounds to me like it's been the latter.
Well like I said a few pages back, they should of had a kickstarter for the kickstarter. a smaller goal of maybe $300K so they can do the initial shit, and get a pre alpha build running with some of the combat stuff and classes ironed out and maybe one starter zone. And then come back and ask for more now with something to show. Do this in little steps rather than a big chunk initially. some kickstatrters do just that and it seems to work.

Im in total agreement with you Eomer.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Well like I said a few pages back, they should of had a kickstarter for the kickstarter. a smaller goal of maybe $300K so they can do the initial shit, and get a pre alpha build running with some of the combat stuff and classes ironed out and maybe one starter zone.

Im in total agreement with you Eomer.
well, too late now. likewise IDK if they have the juice to run a 2nd KS campaign should this one not fund. the bridge is currently on fire.