Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Also, I think that he made a mistake of just focus targeting the old EQ crowd with this game. He should of targeted a much more broader audience, for instance say some shit like "Like EQ or Vanilla WoW experience". Because from waht we are seeing, the old EQ crowd just dried up. 1700 people interested in an EQ like game? That shit is pitiful.
dont mistake lack of enthusiasm for brad and his hastily and poorly executed campaign for lack of enthusiasm for that game concept.

if i marketed a lifelike emma watson anal fuckdroid that brought you beers and showed up with a trash can, pocket pussy, some duct tape, with a cooler on top, dont blame the concept.

Xith

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I think the dumbest decision so far (and there has been a number of them) is spreading out these class reveals over the course of 3 weeks. You're trying to hype up these class reveals but then you reveal them and there isn't much to the descriptions. If you are going to have something called 'class' week, do them all in a week. Keep interest going every day.
I think they are making the shit up as they go.. that's why they haven't posted more sooner. I think they started the kickstarter with virtually nothing except some vague ideas about what they wanted in the game.. and now they are scrambling to come up with things.

When I first saw the kickstarter, I didn't think they would even reach 250k, so they might exceed my expectations. I doubt this game is getting funded though.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I think they are making the shit up as they go.. that's why they haven't posted more sooner. I think they started the kickstarter with virtually nothing except some vague ideas about what they wanted in the game.. and now they are scrambling to come up with things.

When I first saw the kickstarter, I didn't think they would even reach 250k, so they might exceed my expectations. I doubt this game is getting funded though.
You don't have to think, they came out and said they were making shit up as they go last night.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
dont mistake lack of enthusiasm for brad and his hastily and poorly executed campaign for lack of enthusiasm for that game concept.
Im not sure I agree here, bro. I think we are wrong in assuming that there is like this whole mass of people out there that want EQ vanilla back. Yeah, the kickstarter might be the culprit here to, I agree. But if there was some enthusiasm past the 1.5- 2K people, they would throw him at least a $20 just for the maybe, no?.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Im not sure I agree here, bro. I think we are wrong in assuming that there is like this whole mass of people out there that want EQ vanilla back. Yeah, the kickstarter might be the culprit here to, I agree. But if there was some enthusiasm past the 1.5- 2K people, they would throw him at least a $20 just for the maybe, no?.
I said very early in this thread that the Kickstarter would be interesting in that it would finally show the true level of interest in another EQ-like MMO. While the Kickstarter is definitely not helping, I think the people who are always looking for the nostalgia of EQ are way overestimating the interest in something like this. This forum is not indicative of reality, in my opinion.

K13R

If there only 2k people that give a shit bout eq old skool he well save a ton of dough on servers.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Also, I think that he made a mistake of just focus targeting the old EQ crowd with this game. He should of targeted a much more broader audience, for instance say some shit like "Like EQ or Vanilla WoW experience". Because from waht we are seeing, the old EQ crowd just dried up. 1700 people interested in an EQ like game? That shit is pitiful.
Lith has a pretty good post about this last night. Basically if this game was presented as trying to move the genre foward, bring the best elements of EQ and vanilla WoW, I think the interest would go through the roof. But he's appealing to the EQ old school crowd only because he probably thinks if you say anything that's related to WoW (even vanilla WoW who many here agreed was a big step to that 'sweet spot') it'll piss off a percentage of the neckbeards.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider

if i marketed a lifelike emma watson anal fuckdroid that brought you beers and showed up with a trash can, pocket pussy, some duct tape, with a cooler on top, dont blame the concept.
Well, no, but I think the tragedy here is that people WILL think that. That's the same problem we had with Vanguard going up in flames and why we've waited 6 years for another half-assed attempt at making anything similar. It's also why some people are supporting this KS even when it's so amateurishly done.

Merlin_sl

shitlord
I said very early in this thread that the Kickstarter would be interesting in that it would finally show the true level of interest in another EQ-like MMO. While the Kickstarter is definitely not helping, I think the people who are always looking for the nostalgia of EQ are way overestimating the interest in something like this. This forum is not indicative of reality, in my opinion.
While I have considered maybe the demand is not as strong as I had assumed for a game like this, I also do not think the lack of success the kickstarter is having is a true gauge of the interest.
Project 1999 Statistics
Project 1999 Statistics
Threads: 124,723, Posts: 1,192,570, Members: 39,756, Active Members: 3,613
Welcome to our newest member, Randyb1
39,000 people have at one point signed up for the P99 forums/game, which leads me to believe that Brad is just not reaching enough people who may have interest in the game. The EQ progression servers are always a huge hit and imagine if people knew Brad was going to make aNEWgame. I think its a communication problem more than a lack of interest.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think it's just a really hard thing to gauge overall. It's one thing if the game is out, has solid old school concepts, but also has a lot of polish.. People jump on board, but to throw your own money at it or even know about it? See how many people on PP boards that didn't know what a Kickstarter was until like a year ago? Not to mention what they see when they get there.. I refereed this game to a few people who had no idea KS existed. Look at Camelot Unchained.. As successful as it has been, it only got around 15K backers. We all know there is more interest than that.

That said.. I'll never try and make the argument again, imo this has been a let down with the number of backers.. I was hoping to see more like 5-8k by now.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
While I have considered maybe the demand is not as strong as I had assumed for a game like this, I also do not think the lack of success the kickstarter is having is a true gauge of the interest.

39,000 people have at one point signed up for the P99 forums/game, which leads me to believe that Brad is just not reaching enough people who may have interest in the game. The EQ progression servers are always a huge hit and imagine if people knew Brad was going to make aNEWgame. I think its a communication problem more than a lack of interest.
I really believe he's reached enough people. His Kickstarter isn't hooking them. The outreach needs to stop and operation clean up Kickstarter needs to begin.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

probably closer to 35,000 individual people. there are lots of alt accounts over at P99.

still a lot, though.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm neither a rabid fanboy or completely sold on his ideas but I did pldge the 40$ or whatever, the one that includes beta invite. Mostly it's just because I have the ability to waste(in this fashion) and I do like MMO's so why not?

I'll agree with many here the kickstarter is kind of shitty but I think their major problem is that you donate money for a 2017 result. The "Vision" is too far away. I genuinely believe that if they put the "help us now in a totally bugged and crappy world, play along side of the entire development of the game until release for 50$" they may get more pledges. The reward concept is just too far off and people are not feeling it. I'd be happy to play buggy pre-alpha crap for 50$. If it sucks I'd stop logging in until I got some newsletter saying "Combat fixed" then come check it out again and provide whatever feedback I can in an honest way.

It is funny to watch this thing unfold however. 800,000$ is a fairly reasonable target and one may argue the market has spoken. It's crawling up but I'm not confident that it will hit the goal so maybe it's true....people don't want vanilla EQ. I know I don't. I'm actually a fan of MODERN EQ(obviously minus some thing the game is not best in class anymore).

Muligan

Trakanon Raider

I agree but i'm not sure if Brad will go to emu server forums or places such as that... he should, but not sure if he would. He may have to pretend like P99 doesn't exist since it does violate a few things but that's neither here or there. I'm not sure how much he would gain from those communities either, they can be pretty dramatic at times. He can't really solicit business on the SoE (Progression Server) forums/sub forums and I don't he can/would go to P99. He could possibly drop something to the EQMac community and it may spread from there but honestly, I would say the more "classic" EQ folks know.

K13R

Which kinda of weak when 176k are signed up over a swg emu with double active members.. I would say there's really not a lot if interest

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I don't think they had enough info to do them all in one week.
Exactly.

This is how Brad often fucks up. It's how he did it in Vanguard. He's doing it now. He basically talks about things that are planned like they're completed, then when people get hyped and want to see the goods, he has to either stall, lie, or whip some terrible shit together at the last minute.

I'm pretty sure this project would be on the way to be easily funded if he'd not tried to sell a game that didn't exist, and instead just sold the truth, that they want to make a game, have ideas and a plan, but need help getting the ball rolling. People will ask about the game, because that's what's exciting, and he could just tell us his PLANS for the game and IDEAS and just be honest that that's all it is at this point, and then re-fucking-focus attention to the fact the KS is to get the studio up and running, buy equipment, hire on more employees.

Instead, he got excited by his own hype, started selling a game that doesn't exist, didn't have the goods to back up his talking points, and tried to shit them out last minute. Instead of just going with the honest, direct approach: I'm Brad McQuaid and I want to make the kind of game you want to play, and will talk about some of my ideas and plans, but right now I need your help getting the studio set up.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider

That's still a lot of assumptions. Who's to say everyone who has signed up on the forums:

a) still plays P99
b) want an EQ clone that's not Everquest
c) still want that type of game anyway (perhaps moved on to other games)
d) have faith that Brad will deliver after the Vanguard debacle.