Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Arctic_Slicer_sl

shitlord
Has there been *anything* substantial from Brad since the second AMA (which failed)? I mean, he is the figurehead of this whole project, he should be the most visible, especially these last days...
He is the face of the project and he probably should be but after the backlash some of his comments has got, like the tweet about angel investors, maybe he's decided it's better to let Ben his PR manager handle most of that stuff. If nothing else there has at least been a lot of participation from Ben and Tony in the comments of the kickstarter so I can't say the team isn't trying to make one good last push as they have definitely made some progress today. I'm afraid it's a little too late for that but it is encouraging to see them trying nonetheless.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
So 6 fake 10k backers and it's barely able to keep the kickstarter from going backwards.

rrr_img_60773.jpg

Arctic_Slicer_sl

shitlord
So 6 fake 10k backers and it's barely able to keep the kickstarter from going backwards.

rrr_img_60773.jpg
To be fair it's probably only 3-4 fake 10k backers; at least two of them are for real. However yeah; this is a terrible final push but at least it's getting one instead of suffering the ultimate embarrassment of going backwards at the end. Seriosuly I couldn't find one that actually went backwards in the last 48 hours. $22k more the thing will officially be at 60% of it's funding goal making it a true 1 in 50 failure. I upped my own pledge in case by same miracle it actually funds because I'm actually really sad to see this whole thing go down this way as I really want this thing to be successful.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
To be fair it's probably only 3-4 fake 10k backers; at least two of them are for real. However yeah; this is a terrible final push but at least it's getting one instead of suffering the ultimate embarrassment of going backwards at the end. Seriosuly I couldn't find one that actually went backwards in the last 48 hours. $22k more the thing will officially be at 60% of it's funding goal making it a true 1 in 50 failure. I upped my own pledge in case by same miracle it actually funds because I'm actually really sad to see this whole thing go down this way as I really want this thing to be successful.
I always expected a push although again the push is mainly coming from people that already backed (only 70 new backers over the last 2 day). What does that really say, that you have a small but very loud and vocal minority that is willing to do anything to push this through. I still say that the number of backers is the real determination of 'interest' of this particular project, not the dollars. As others have said, trading cards with custom backing get more support. I know one thing, if some of those 10k backers are trolls and pull out about an hour or two before it ends, that's about as demoralizing to the fanatics as anything. I think even they understand that this needs to reach goal or who the hell knows when (if ever) this ever gets developed. See the difference between the KS backers and the people here is they'll take any shit sandwich that Brad craps out no matter what. I think the expectation of a quality game is a little higher here.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I always expected a push although again the push is mainly coming from people that already backed (only 70 new backers over the last 2 day). What does that really say, that you have a small but very loud and vocal minority that is willing to do anything to push this through. I still say that the number of backers is the real determination of 'interest' of this particular project, not the dollars. As others have said, trading cards with custom backing get more support. I know one thing, if some of those 10k backers are trolls and pull out about an hour or two before it ends, that's about as demoralizing to the fanatics as anything. I think even they understand that this needs to reach goal or who the hell knows when (if ever) this ever gets developed. See the difference between the KS backers and the people here is they'll take any shit sandwich that Brad craps out no matter what. I think the expectation of a quality game is a little higher here.
I disagree. I still think the interest is there and the KS was just handled poorly. I just saw way too many posts alluding to that around various forums. A good game will always get interest.

Arctic_Slicer_sl

shitlord
The team made many many mistakes before and during the campaign but that didn't keep me from backing the project or raising my pledge to help with the final push. The low number of backers has a lot to do with a failure to getting the word out. I most likely would not be here right now if I didn't hear about EQMac getting shut down; only because I checked the EQMac forums did I even hear that Brad McQuaid was even making a new game. I seriously only found out about this campaign by dumb luck and heard several stories of the same. They needed to do a much more through social media campaign that got a lot more followers on facebook and twitter and probably a Youtube channel with a Vlog all to help hype this up and get the word out before launching it. They also launched with a poor page and made numerous mistakes throughout the campaign. If they had did this campaign right they probably could have got around $2 million like Garriot's did.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I disagree. I still think the interest is there and the KS was just handled poorly. I just saw way too many posts alluding to that around various forums. A good game will always get interest.
Again, we are confusing interest with funding. You can interested in playing this type of game, that doesn't mean you're going to contribute a dime so the company can actually become 'a company' and start working. You're also confusing interest with belief that people think Brad can deliver what he's selling. Yes people want to play this kind of game, they just don't think this guy is capable of doing that.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
The team made many many mistakes before and during the campaign but that didn't keep me from backing the project or raising my pledge to help with the final push. The low number of backers has a lot to do with a failure to getting the word out. I most likely would not be here right now if I didn't hear about EQMac getting shut down; only because I checked the EQMac forums did I even hear that Brad McQuaid was even making a new game. I seriously only found out about this campaign by dumb luck and heard several stories of the same. They needed to do a much more through social media campaign that got a lot more followers on facebook and twitter and probably a Youtube channel with a Vlog all to help hype this up and get the word out before launching it. They also launched with a poor page and made numerous mistakes throughout the campaign. If they had did this campaign right they probably could have got around $2 million like Garriot's did.
Arctic they have been told all these things all throughout the campaign and haven't really listened or followed through on most of them. They've been told that the slow drip of information (of what little there was) was just as damaging as anything and they still decided to keep to that gameplan. They were told they need to engage the community more, to update the KS page more and they didn't follow through on that either. At some point you need to question their ability in the project itself and if they are even capable of creating this game, especially an MMORPG.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Again, we are confusing interest with funding. You can interested in playing this type of game, that doesn't mean you're going to contribute a dime so the company can actually become 'a company' and start working. You're also confusing interest with belief that people think Brad can deliver what he's selling. Yes people want to play this kind of game, they just don't think this guy is capable of doing that.
This is what I found in talking with my circle of friends, people are interested in this type of game but Brad's name was already a bit tarnished so he needed a polished effort to prove this time was different, instead we got the opposite and I saw lots of people who were aware of the campaign and interested in the type of game ridiculing the man. That's why this thing isn't even close to funding.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oh, I didn't realize you were just stating the obvious lol. I said before this project went live that his game would really be the only thing that can change certain peoples mind. He knows that as well. I think he tried to get some people back with all the VG talk, but it didn't help much.

Tauro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
"Bill Harkins 8 minutes ago
Was doing some sketching and decided to bust out a character inspired by one of the Pantheon race descriptions. Went with the Ogre since that's what I really want to play: Let's get this thing funded!"http://fav.me/d77ijvt

Unbelievable that a backer can do a quick sketch of one of the races, but the DEVs, who are longtime professionals, cannot do so in 40 days
wink.png

Worst KS campaign ever!

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
"Bill Harkins 8 minutes ago
Was doing some sketching and decided to bust out a character inspired by one of the Pantheon race descriptions. Went with the Ogre since that's what I really want to play: Let's get this thing funded!"http://fav.me/d77ijvt

Unbelievable that a backer can do a quick sketch of one of the races, but the DEVs, who are longtime professionals, cannot do so in 40 days
wink.png

Worst KS campaign ever!
Don't get me started. Of everything that has happen. The art has pissed me off the most. It was such an obvious thing! I even asked them to allow people to submit fan art to get the hint across.. I don't know wth that artist is doing...

bayr_sl

shitlord
Don't worry given that the rest of their art is just jacked from DeviantArt they will probably throw that up as concept art in the next 6 hours

Tauro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Don't get me started. Of everything that has happen. The art has pissed me off the most. It was such an obvious thing! I even asked them to allow people to submit fan art to get the hint across.. I don't know wth that artist is doing...
1 pencil sketch of each race & class should have been the absolute minimum, 1 weekend of "hard work" for the artist i guess?

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Has there been *anything* substantial from Brad since the second AMA (which failed)? I mean, he is the figurehead of this whole project, he should be the most visible, especially these last days...
It doesn't matter. He started Sigil with his own money and it's his vision and roadmap the devs are working on and Vanguard is a great game that will be ready for launch you just watch!!!

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Arctic, don't slip into fantard territory. :p

You're saying they did a poor job of getting the word out, and then on EQMac forums you heard about it?

If this project went well, started strong, was backed with a plan and any shred of actual game... you would have heard about it. The problem is there was little word of mouth outside the early dedicated people, because people like me started feeling pretty uncomfortable calling up old pals saying "hey, yeah, Brad is making another mmo, well, no, really a KS for one, and it's going the direction of Vanguard and if you want to donate don't actually click on any of the videos or anything!"

The word was out. It just wasn't spreading. And honestly for good reason.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Arctic, don't slip into fantard territory. :p

You're saying they did a poor job of getting the word out, and then on EQMac forums you heard about it?

If this project went well, started strong, was backed with a plan and any shred of actual game... you would have heard about it. The problem is there was little word of mouth outside the early dedicated people, because people like me started feeling pretty uncomfortable calling up old pals saying "hey, yeah, Brad is making another mmo, well, no, really a KS for one, and it's going the direction of Vanguard and if you want to donate don't actually click on any of the videos or anything!"

The word was out. It just wasn't spreading. And honestly for good reason.
It wasn't just Brad that needed to get the word out either. Go to the beginning of this thread, there is a long post of every single place where this was broadcast, from old server/guild boards to something awful to the EQ live servers and P1999. Sometimes a piece of shit is a piece of shit.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't believe word didn't get out. I saw articles about this KS on many sites, some of them not even focused on MMORPG gaming. This whole thing did not work out because apparently Brad is the only guy who had actually put time into this before the kickstarter launched, and apparently he doesn't know how to use unity. So people looked at a kickstarter that had nothing, absolutely nothing to show except design ideas even until today and walked away. It's a shame there's no PI counter on kickstarter pages or any sort of info how many people with KS accounts looked at it and did not back.

I asked before why the KS had so little to show when work on it supposedly started in September. Obviously, it didn't. The only guy who is all in is probably Brad, and working with Unity apparently isn't his thing.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
The low number of backers has a lot to do with a failure to getting the word out.
You make sense mostly but I think you need to rethink this.

I agree with Convo that interest is there (for a niche 50k-100k subs game, not millions), but people were reached. Would love to hear how many views the KS got. The team just failed to deliver a professional presentation, and only 1 in 1000 interested people was willing to overlook the gross incompetence and lack of any common sense or in the latter parts decency of the people on this project. VR are the reason this fails. I want this game, but not from these people. Action speaks louder then worlds and their actions throughout this month have made it clear they dont have the abilities needed, and thats coming from someone that didnt play VG and went into this entirely neutral to positive.