Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
So you think that aiming for a 30+ age range with a career and family is the way to go? You think these guys are going to be willing to waste 5 hours (2 of those shouting 'LFG' every 5 mintues) a night in a game anymore? You think this is a demographic that exists?

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
I disagree with this completely there are communities in every game if you look for them. For you, I imagine it's part nostalgia, part age and mostly just not liking the games that have been released over the last decade. If you don't like a game, you're really not going to look for "community".
There may be communities, but one is gone. When the game is based around group based combat and you level like that 80% of the time a community builds around the leveling and reputations for players are very important. I have never seen that matter in an auto-match grouping experience game with most of your leveling done solo. You are just not playing with people enough to build any sort of community around that.. Not sure how that can be disputed.

Sure most games you "can" group, but grouping to conquer solo based content is counter productive for the mostpart and just plain boring. What we need is MORE group based content to develop the community we discuss. There are communities sure, but not the one many of us miss.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So you think that aiming for a 30+ age range with a career and family is the way to go? You think these guys are going to be willing to waste 5 hours (2 of those shouting 'LFG' every 5 mintues) a night in a game anymore? You think this is a demographic that exists?
Yea, I know plenty of people who will try pantheon. You won't??

VG had 250k box sales with all its terrible PR..my guess is that demographic was similar to what Pantheon would net.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
The new EQ TLP servers show that there is in fact a demographic for this type game, whether it's large enough to sustain it remains to be seen......if it ever sees the light of day.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I disagree with this completely there are communities in every game if you look for them. For you, I imagine it's part nostalgia, part age and mostly just not liking the games that have been released over the last decade. If you don't like a game, you're really not going to look for "community".
Multiplayer games have communities? Brilliant analysis.

I'm discussing a specific type of community, a feeling that EQ had that modern MMO's don't. Catch up to the discussion.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
There may be communities, but one is gone. When the game is based around group based combat and you level like that 80% of the time a community builds around the leveling and reputations for players are very important. I have never seen that matter in an auto-match grouping experience game with most of your leveling done solo. You are just not playing with people enough to build any sort of community around that.. Not sure how that can be disputed.

Sure most games you "can" group, but grouping to conquer solo based content is counter productive for the mostpart and just plain boring. What we need is MORE group based content to develop the community we discuss. There are communities sure, but not the one many of us miss.
Maybe you should stop looking at the leveling process of games these days. They are essentially tutorials anyway. Granted many of the games out there have shitty end games too, but for the people who like the end game, communities exist.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Multiplayer games have communities? Brilliant analysis.

I'm discussing a specific type of community, a feeling that EQ had that modern MMO's don't. Catch up to the discussion.
I'm just telling you that those specific types of communities exist out there. You just don't happen to like those games. There are a ton of survival games popping up every month with that type of experience.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I'm just telling you that those specific types of communities exist out there. You just don't happen to like those games. There are a ton of survival games popping up every month with that type of experience.
Ok sure, I don't have any experience with that so...maybe??

I don't see any high-fantasy MMOs offering it.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
You won't??
I have no intention of being a part of Brad's little nut licker cult. I have a little thing called self restraint which gives me the super power of not buying something that looks about as appetizing as watching Two girls, one cup.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have no intention of being a part of Brad's little nut licker cult. I have a little thing called self restraint which gives me the super power of not buying something that looks about as appetizing as watching Two girls, one cup.
Last person to use that joke was ktam guy

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Sadly, just like not having time to jam my thumb up my ass for hours of LFG a night, I also lack the time (or will) to 'host' a third rate internet radio show.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Maybe you should stop looking at the leveling process of games these days. They are essentially tutorials anyway. Granted many of the games out there have shitty end games too, but for the people who like the end game, communities exist.
Who ever said that a shortened leveling experience was desired, the journey used to be the game.. now it is not.. that is part of the freakin problem. That is where RIFT failed for me, it was too short and they were cheap on content.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sadly, just like not having time to jam my thumb up my ass for hours of LFG a night, I also lack the time (or will) to 'host' a third rate internet radio show.
Im sure you're just so busy...busy posting here about how you have no time.. I don't really give a fuck about your gaming preference, why do you care so much about mine. Serious question?

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Im sure you're just so busy...busy posting here about how you have no time.. I don't really give a fuck about your gaming preference, why do you care so much about mine. Serious question?
Has to do something with his thumb since it's not jammed up his ass?

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
You already received half your answer a few pages ago. The other half is I hate stupidity, something I'm seeing in spades I this thread. You're hoping a known theif and shamster puts out a third rate game so you can throw money at him. You're also trying to pretend that there is some sort of magically invisible demographic that will come crawling out of the woodwork to play. This entire thread is nothing but you and a few others trying to block out reality while you feed your delusions.

Slacker242

Lord Nagafen Raider
Convo, I think you are as delusional as everyone else here and me included in that. You want "X" and every other person here wants X+Y+Z+infinity. Like a lot of posters here, I don't to spend hours in an mmo anymore. I relate this to golf. I very much enjoy the idea of playing golf and I am well above average at it. I just don't want to spend 3-4+ hours on a golf course anymore. I find my time more valuable than that. Seems like a lot of mmo's I see in development are large sprawling lands of almost infinite exploration with more abilities and options that I can fathom. I don't want that.

If Pantheon was a game with 1 zone that included the following I would be all over it:
1 medium size town
3 starter areas around the town with each having a POI
3 medium difficulty areas a little farther out with each having a POI
3 high difficulty areas a little farther out with each having a POI
1 large open world dungeon
I will take 5 classes with very limited abilities with no quests. I will need to find certain items to get to enhance the few abilities I have a a rare drop that will give me an extra ability. Forced grouping? Yes.

Now that is all I need. Make it for free. Make it the best zone we have ever seen. Then after we play for a while make another zone and charge me $9.99. Rinse and repeat.

Now I write all this and I bet you looked that over and said to yourself that "I like that idea but I would change this or that" or "I hate that idea but here is what I would do to make it better" or "Slacker you are a fucking idiot and you are the reason this forum sucks balls"

In the end I think I am right. Your heart is in the right place because you feel like you are right. Ultimately a game like what I wrote above would fail and so will Pantheon because we both are right and wrong at the same time. And yes that makes perfect sense.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You already received half your answer a few pages ago. The other half is I hate stupidity, something I'm seeing in spades I this thread. You're hoping a known theif and shamster puts out a third rate game so you can throw money at him. You're also trying to pretend that there is some sort of magically invisible demographic that will come crawling out of the woodwork to play. This entire thread is nothing but you and a few others trying to block out reality while you feed your delusions.
You're saving us from ourselves. Got it. We have a nerd knight here!

I wouldn't spend any money without trying this first.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
If someone else will build a group based MMO, we would be on that thread. They don't exist anymore .... and yes, this title is the only one with a shred of hope to have such a gameplay. So, where else do we go ? This is not brad love or hate, its really the only hope at this point other than Vanguard EMU

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If someone else will build a group based MMO, we would be on that thread. They don't exist anymore .... and yes, this title is the only one with a shred of hope to have such a gameplay. So, where else do we go ? This is not brad love or hate, its really the only hope at this point other than Vanguard EMU
I'd still acknowledge them for at least turning the project around. I'll support any game that tries to bring back my preferred play style. I don't define that as delusional, it's just my preference as a gamer.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
I still think that a high fantasy survival game would be a great idea. Like Rust/DayZ in a Medieval setting, and instead of zombies, you have high fantasy creatures.

Maybe I'll try and make that someday. Maybe not.