Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
After wiping to the same boss 5 times in one day your character is mysteriously teleported to the zone called "The Lot." Upon entering The Lot you notice a lone NPC. You interact with Brandon McQuaidian. He hands you "The Slip of Doom." Upon receiving the Slip Of Doom you are transported back to your homestead and not allowed to enter the instance you failed in for up to 48 hours.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So your punishment for dying it to make them listen to Brad read this thread? That's sadistic for everyone involved.
Nah that would be a lesser penalty. Listening to Brad himself would be much, much worse. But Koster, now THAT would be damn right sadistic.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
This game should be a pinball machine. All those soundbites and flashing lights.

Tenks

Now we don't know if the mysterious lights lighting the castle up like a Christmas tree flash or not. I believe that costs an additional $5 for the flickering light asset so it may be a touch out of reach for this project.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Now we don't know if the mysterious lights lighting the castle up like a Christmas tree flash or not. I believe that costs an additional $5 for the flickering light asset so it may be a touch out of reach for this project.
9 to 12 days and maybe we will see a new pinball machine MMORPG!

Pinball Alpha. Brought to you by the tears of the asset store.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm all for new companies using assets stores. Shit like creatures and furniture is a waste of time. Should at least use what's there then make your own to populate other areas so it's not overused.

Dalien

Registered Hodor
If you die 50 times they send you a rocking chair. So you can rock while you rock.

154_04_sq_sat.jpg

Greyform

Like 6... Which we have all seen before and it doesn't hurt unless you make it hurt.

Here are the ways:

Item Degradation/Money hit (No one cares)
Item Loss (Hurts)
XP Penalty (If you have a 97% res, no one cares)
XP Debt (No one cares)
Play time loss (Hurts as long as it is a long time but no one is going to go through that mundane shit any longer)
Nothing - (No one cares, obviously)

The only way to make death hurt in an MMORPG is to make it frustrating as shit for a player but they keep coming back for some reason. At the risk of losing the player. Here is a protip: No one is coming back to the mundane any more. In EQ people came back because it was a revolutionary game at a time without social media and wide spread connectivity with others any time/any place. That's all over. That's why the magic never comes back. The magic has morphed into Smartphones, Facebook, Facetime, Twitter and 24 hour media.

So yeah I would say go for broke. Time Loss, Item degredation/money sink, and XP Penalty all at once. I want to see the tears on the 5 people playing it on Twitch.
UT you're 100% on the mark, I have even said the same thing. Social media killed the need for "community" in a video game.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
It didn't kill it, people just don't want to talk to you about random shit in a game for hours on end. They rather talk with other people or consumer other media. This is what happens when you make a game that's boring as fuck with plenty of time to let your mind wander.

That or people just hang out on some kind of voice chat. Most people the age we were 15-20 years ago aren't closeted neckbeards scared to talk to people over teamspeak.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It didn't kill it, people just don't want to talk to you about random shit in a game for hours on end. They rather talk with other people or consumer other media. This is what happens when you make a game that's boring as fuck with plenty of time to let your mind wander.

That or people just hang out on some kind of voice chat. Most people the age we were 15-20 years ago aren't closeted neckbeards scared to talk to people over teamspeak.
or they avoid VC because people like you come on and never stfu..

Cathex_sl

shitlord
I'd rather listen to some music of my choosing while gaming than some ADD kids' gibberish. But then again, I'm a dinosaur.
Amen. A major reason why I play these types of games is to get "lost" in the music I enjoy by virtue of the game's scenery. Also, "gamer" types tend not to have the best pragmatics and the variability in age among conversation partners can be jarring.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
There's a reason party chat took over console gaming. Nobody wants to hear more than 4-5 friends chatting because 10+ gamers talking at once will make your ears bleed.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It's not a raid without someone singing in Russian who really shouldn't be singing.