Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I feel like Horizons should be on that list.
Horizons was such an epic failure that people don't even remember it for the list of failures.
frown.png

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
EQ2 sucked because it actually wasn't awful eventually but the devs were generally idiotic, as in they had never even played their own game. My favorite part was over the years some devs would descend from cubicle heaven to the forums to be laughed off and ridiculed when they tried to claim things that we obviously not true to even the most casual of players. I don't remember who it was but I remember one of the top Rangers got into a forum argument once about a skill working wrong and just kept telling the dev "no, it really doesn't work that way" and reposting empirical evidence while the dev just kept getting worse and worse until they deleted the thread and the dev retreated.
Reminds me a little of"just pop enrage"

I have to say I really enjoyed my time on EQ2 and think most people missed its best times. At launch, yeah, it was frustrating and SoE had been frustrating for awhile. Not to mention people had played EQ to death so with WoW's release it was not a surprise that people were not very forgiving. Just a shame that it did have a lot of potential overall and it did a lot of things right. However, in the end, it faced a giant in WoW and there was no winning.
I came to EQ2 relatively late, and my impression was more along the lines of"Well, if this is 'better' than what it had been, then I'm glad I missed that part because this is still terrible on a number of levels"

EQ2 wasn't a relative failure because WOW was 'a giant and there was no winning', EQ2 was a relative failure for reasons all its own. Even at its best EQ2 was never more than an average or mediocre MMO.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The reasoning behind the shared EXP debt in EQ2 made sense. It was dumb, and wouldn't work in the wild, but there was logic behind it. Force people to be better at the game by making them absolute pariahs if they suck. Didn't work that way in practice, just made shit miserable and everyone forgot the bad player's name after the kick, so they could come back any time.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The reasoning behind the shared EXP debt in EQ2 made sense. It was dumb, and wouldn't work in the wild, but there was logic behind it. Force people to be better at the game by making them absolute pariahs if they suck. Didn't work that way in practice, just made shit miserable and everyone forgot the bad player's name after the kick, so they could come back any time.
Implementation was everything though, right? As a former warrior in EQ1, I see the idea of sharing the xp loss. Tanks would often die and the group could recover. The tank would generally be the first to die and over a period of time lose more xp than most classes. But all people remember in EQ2 was Soandso was invited to group, he died all the way across the open world on the way to the group, entire group ate his debt.

I had far less of an issue with the debt as I did with locked encounters / buff restrictions. It was a great feeling and sense of community in EQ1, running through the world and on your way to your destination you run across a noobie or two and toss a heal or buff on them. EQ2 made this entirely impossible. You flat out could not buff anyone out of your group (maintained concentration slots to boot), plus you couldn't even throw a heal on someone engaged in an encounter. The devs just sank the entire "community" aspect of the game right out of the gate.

All of this was brought up in Beta, yet zero fucks were given.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
EQ2 devs seemed absolutely terrified of the "emergent" game play in EQ1, and wanted to make sure the shackles were firmly in place from the outset of EQ2.

And then like a week after release you had all the tanks spamming group buffs for uncontestable ultra-threat, and "DPS Berserkers" whinging on the forums that they couldn't drop aggro ever.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
A huge part of WoW's success, was also the same component of EQ2's failure. The fact that WoW could run on just about any reasonable computer, but EQ2 ran like shit on even the best computers. It doesn't matter how great your gameplay is, if your computer can't run the damn thing. Vanguard suffered the exact same problem.
Yeah but underneath EQ2 was an uninspired shit hole. WoW had good content at the time. Even if EQ2 would have ran like a dream it suffered from ridiculous design decisions and horrible uninspired placement of robotic mobs all standing in packs. It was so fucking awful and unbalanced. EoF took it in the right direction but after level 20, you would be thrust back into the shit that was vanilla. Then dipshit pony tail completely fucked it with Velious.

Vanguard was the same damn mess which shouldn't surprise anyone given its development cycle. Which is why we need all the relics to get out of here and get locked in a zynga cage for life.

Needless to say the issues with both of those hunks of trash go well beyond optimization.

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
Man, it is depressing to see how many of those failures I played. Some random thoughts.

Warhammer had the hands-down best 1-11 MMO experience in any game. I can't remember how many times I leveled a character to 11, only to discover that everything beyond that was trash and lag. What a shame.

Asheron's Call 2 is missing from the list. I actually convinced a cynical friend to buy that game before realizing how absolutely awful it was. Some of the concepts (player-built settlements) were awesome at the time but have still never been implemented in any realistic manner. My friend is still mad to this day about the wasted hours in AC2.

Tabula Rasa was another terrible game. I so wanted a sci-fi RPG to work. And it never did. God what a terrible game.

There was another terrible MMO I played with nightmares and weird monsters that only came out in the dark. Can't remember it. It was terrible.

I'd also count Conan as a terrible experience. I remember giving up on that game after my first visit to a major city. I just had no desire to ever log back in again.

EQ2 was my biggest disappointment. I bought a PC specifically to run it at launch and it failed miserably. So much was wrong with that game. It eventually got better but, by that time, I was playing (and enjoying) WoW just like everyone else.

So many wasted hours....

Faux

Lord Nagafen Raider
February newsletter is supposed to be dropping tomorrow. Hopefully its pretty beefy on the info given their silence for the past couple of months.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Which is why we need all the relics to get out of here and get locked in a zynga cage for life.
I can't give you any shit because you've been shouting this at people as long as I have, but it's way too fucking late. This should have happened in 2003.

rrr_img_126098.jpg

Remember John Capozzi? Remember him, Brad? He made those worlds you half-assed dreamed of. He sent me your design docs for Vanguard the day he quit. I'm still not done reading them. They are longer than the Bible. Half of it was written in feces and 10 pages read "I hate Flanders. Praise Jesus." And fuck Elidroth too for that matter. The King of Originality whose name is a god damned derivative of a derivative. Half of what's left of this industry is nothing more than antisocial fat fucks (ok a lot are skinny) whose cliques and complete lack of anything resembling competence in their field chased the actual geniuses out of the industry forever. (Trion is cool) Fucks sake I think GZ barely gets mentioned in EQ's biography. Geoffrey "fucking" Zatkins...gets barely any mention and only his initials...

He made your fucking game work! It did not work otherwise. You were 4 guys sitting around jerking each other off until he made your game do something.

I think he sells cars now. Or drugs. Or drug trailers. Or something.

Fuck you.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
lol @ Auto Assault. I had one of, if not the, first tanks in the game. Funny enough, the power to weight ratio was so terrible it could barely go up hills. I completed one mission with it and was driving with my friend like a BAMF just murdering things on the way to an outpost. Drive down a hill after completing a quest and run around the base, blah blah. We go to leave and the tank did not have enough torque to travel back up the hill. The base was in a crater. We spent 3-4 hours trying desperately to rescue the tank from the crater including creative ramming with multiple players and all that. Nothing worked, just quit.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Geoffrey "fucking" Zatkins...gets barely any mention and only his initials...

He made your fucking game work! It did not work otherwise. You were 4 guys sitting around jerking each other off until he made your game do something.

Fuck you.
According to his linkedin, he's still in the industry?

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I can't give you any shit because you've been shouting this at people as long as I have, but it's way too fucking late. This should have happened in 2003.

rrr_img_126098.jpg

Remember John Capozzi? Remember him, Brad? He made those worlds you half-assed dreamed of. He sent me your design docs for Vanguard the day he quit. I'm still not done reading them. They are longer than the Bible. Half of it was written in feces and 10 pages read "I hate Flanders. Praise Jesus." And fuck Elidroth too for that matter. The King of Originality whose name is a god damned derivative of a derivative. Half of what's left of this industry is nothing more than antisocial fat fucks (ok a lot are skinny) whose cliques and complete lack of anything resembling competence in their field chased the actual geniuses out of the industry forever. (Trion is cool) Fucks sake I think GZ barely gets mentioned in EQ's biography. Geoffrey "fucking" Zatkins...gets barely any mention and only his initials...

Fuck you.
Absolutely 100% spot on.

The cluster fuck of the good ol' boys club damned near took down a genre. And now those same idiots are trying to claw their way back into it. Due credit never went to the people that actually deserved it. Scapegoats as to why games were failures, each one covering their own ass in front of the hancho but never the actual truth - Which was they can't design their way out of a ziplock bag and more design meetings ended up being a dog and pony show of ego stroking morons who were finally notable in a virtual world because they kept getting kicked off the swing set until 16 years of age. Even then, other talent got them there, and they stifled those people to take credit.

Funny how the people that actually pushed the genre into the mainstream weren't founding creators - it ended up being some players sick to death of the relics and ended up turning the genre into a billions of dollars per year market segment.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Holy shit this is probably the most useless shit I have ever seen used as promotional material. I am going to copy paste the announcement of the (Drum Roll)Cleric Class!

Group Role: Healer, Support
NO WAY.

Armor: Heavy Plate Armor, Plate-Woven Raiment
I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS BEFORE!

Weaponry: Clerics are schooled in several types of One-Handed Blunt weaponry.Most have discarded the use of staves in order to carry their large tomes into battle, the ancient books bursting with powerful signets, writs and edicts.
Meanwhile, from the pages from an original D&D module and something every human has known with or without playing a video game... ever...

Ability Arsenal: The Clerics have mastered the restorative arts of their Order, allowing them to use their many potent healing abilities.Thus empowered, Clerics excel in most forms of healing, including: Self, Target, Group and Raid-oriented abilities. Clerics also have a variety of other healing powers, including: Direct, Heal-Over-Time, and Heal-On-Hit. In addition to healing, Clerics also excel in defensive support using ethereal armors and signet blessings.
Mind... Fucking.... Blown.

Seriously. I have to ask. How? How? Is he on drugs again that he somehow thinks any of this 1972 Era shit is relevant to even release as news about his game? I mean, I wouldn't have even said anything if there wasn't this long drawn out speech ahead of it.

Hello all, Aradune here, and welcome to our next Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen newsletter! I'm really excited to start revealing information about Classes! It's something we've been wanting to do for some time and I know the community has been quite curious as well.
Something they have wanted to do. That sure was some secret mechanical super game changing design they have going on there. Right now, every game designer everywhere from California to the Mason Dixon line is copy pasting this shit into all their games. McQuaid I think you turned over the hat and killed the cat a little too soon here. Did you make sure to patent this shit first?

At this point, I do firmly believe, this entire game is a troll.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
lol, you thought they actually would have enough creativity between them to come up with original classes? Seriously, the intelligent and creative people have better things to do than help some two bit washed up glory hog of a game developer make a last chance run as salvaging his train wreck of a career.

delirium_sl

shitlord
Holy shit this is probably the most useless shit I have ever seen used as promotional material. I am going to copy paste the announcement of the (Drum Roll)Cleric Class!

NO WAY.

I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS BEFORE!

Meanwhile, from the pages from an original D&D module and something every human has known with or without playing a video game... ever...

Mind... Fucking.... Blown.

Seriously. I have to ask. How? How? Is he on drugs again that he somehow thinks any of this 1972 Era shit is relevant to even release as news about his game? I mean, I wouldn't have even said anything if there wasn't this long drawn out speech ahead of it.

Something they have wanted to do. That sure was some secret mechanical super game changing design they have going on there. Right now, every game designer everywhere from California to the Mason Dixon line is copy pasting this shit into all their games. McQuaid I think you turned over the hat and killed the cat a little too soon here. Did you make sure to patent this shit first?

At this point, I do firmly believe, this entire game is a troll.
I just wanted to point out it was mentioned that the game and therefore classes were going to be very traditional with a little extra flavor added in. They are also trying to appeal to new generations of potential players who may not have ever played an MMO before. Your opinion is funny and true, but what they are trying to do really isn't any different than any other fantasy based game that has cleric and other D&D style classes in them. While we may have played tons of MMOs and table top games for years, there are new generations that have not and therefore have no idea what a Cleric, Warrior, Paladin, etc are.

You are correct, aside from mentioning "Pillar Shields," there really isn't any kind of innovation on the class that is discernible anyway. But my understanding was that the classes were going to be fairly traditional anyway which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

edit to add- I do find this newsletter to be underwhelming though. They skipped out on January's because they felt like they couldn't get it together in time for release. I don't see why this info took an extra month to get out personally.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Their blurb on hybrid classes made me chuckle. Good luck keeping that shitshow balanced when so many other MMOs have failed at it, LOL.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I just wanted to point out it was mentioned that the game and therefore classes were going to be very traditional with a little extra flavor added in. They are also trying to appeal to new generations of potential players who may not have ever played an MMO before. Your opinion is funny and true, but what they are trying to do really isn't any different than any other fantasy based game that has cleric and other D&D style classes in them. While we may have played tons of MMOs and table top games for years, there are new generations that have not and therefore have no idea what a Cleric, Warrior, Paladin, etc are.

You are correct, aside from mentioning "Pillar Shields," there really isn't any kind of innovation on the class that is discernible anyway. But my understanding was that the classes were going to be fairly traditional anyway which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
While true, the 2 year wait to give this 'exciting' news is beyond underwhelming. This is what someone could have done in 10 minutes max as Ut so easily points out. Your mention of the appeal to new gamers is exactly right. After burning so many bridges, he has to hope there is a contingent of new gamers who have no clue about him. He has to hope they have low expectations because it takes him two years just to basically copy paste a D&D manual, and the foundation of a much older game he helped create.