Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

2002User

Bronze Knight of the Realm
He made the quests that doesn't mean he designed the system. Thats like me writing a paper in MSWord and saying I invented the word processor.
No, he literally said he designed the system with another guy. Watch the video. Tigole has a lot of dev/modding experience, that's why he got into game development at Blizzard. Not because he was some idea guy EQ guild leader.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Gon need a bigger couch

y1714ij.png
Brad looks like he's on the Tuco diet.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just coming out of retirement for cinco de mayo to say you guys are still chumps and pantheon on!

Honestly, I think the Brad hate here is over board. For that matter, the Curt hate here is equally over board.

And, here's why. Our gaming genre doesn't have a very bright future and hasn't had for many years. The industry whored out the genre for as much money as they could suck out of it, and it's pretty much leaving it to die slow and painfully.

Anybody willing to put their time and money in to trying (No matter how unlikely the outcome) to bring back the good parts of the Mmorpg genre deserves at least a little respect in my opinion.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Honestly, I think the Brad hate here is over board. For that matter, the Curt hate here is equally over board.

And, here's why. Our gaming genre doesn't have a very bright future and hasn't had for many years. The industry whored out the genre for as much money as they could suck out of it, and it's pretty much leaving it to die slow and painfully.

Anybody willing to put their time and money in to trying (No matter how unlikely the outcome) to bring back the good parts of the Mmorpg genre deserves at least a little respect in my opinion.
I'm actually pleasantly surprised people are giving him money for Pantheon. It's not my money, and if I ever get any entertainment out of it, fucking great. Still surprised they are able hire some of these guys.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider

I have no ill thoughts about Brad or Curt, except that I dislike the way they behaved with the people that worked for them and for throwing money away in a black hole, due to stubborness and ignorancy or due to addictions and other several issues. I don't think the genre is dying, I think that it's different from what it was, but we got some solid titles in the last few years, with large budgets and varying levels of fun gameplay. You could argue that Wildstar was a flop, but FFXIV (the Realm Reborn version) is a very good game, GW2 was also quite good at keeping a lot of people entertained for years and more recently Blade and Soul and Black desert, while totally asian style, have collected quite a bunch of followers. Sure enough MMOs are not what they were, damn even vanilla WoW seems hardcore now in comparison to more recent titles.

MMOs are also a matter of affection for many players: it's difficult to leave behind some characters that have been played for years, hell, I have 10 in WoW that I played for decade, which sounds incredible even to my ears when I say it.

I doubt Pantheon will be a game I'm interested in, but I hope that the guys working with Brad won't get fucked and anally raped in a parking lot again, then if you all get a game you like, good for you and for the devs all.

iannis

Musty Nester

Curt, yeah. He just tried to jump too many rungs and paid the price for it. Kinda dumb, kinda naive, but not malicious.

Brad however is a scumfuck IRL and a professional charlatan. He deserves more hate than he gets.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
I foresee this ending like a Heaven's Gate repeat. Since Brad can't afford to pay all these developers they are all living in hishousecompound for free. In four or five years he will have convinced them that in order to preserve the MMO genre and ship the game they will have to permanently jack into the matrix which will be accomplished with a mixture of kool-aid and offroad motorcycle fuel, and maybe a touch of opiates.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Uhhhh saying Blizzard 'replicated' EQ might be inaccurate, but they absolutely modelled WoW after EverQuest and refined it.
Yea, they refined it so it appealed to a larger target audience then EQ. This involved changing core mechanics, which basically took most of the hardcore stuff out and resulted in a very different game.

If not, EQ would have been far more popular then it ever was, and probably way less popular here.

Its funny since during later years EQ tried to draw in a larger audience by making stuff easier, which in turn pissed off the old-school hardcores.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea, they refined it so it appealed to a larger target audience then EQ. This involved changing core mechanics, which basically took most of the hardcore stuff out and resulted in a very different game.

If not, EQ would have been far more popular then it ever was, and probably way less popular here.

Its funny since during later years EQ tried to draw in a larger audience by making stuff easier, which in turn pissed off the old-school hardcores.
WoW and EQ are inbred cousins compared to other mmos. WoW is just younger and had the advantage of modern medicine that has changed it over time. EQ was thrown into the back shed and forgotten.

Tenks

WoW and EQ are inbred cousins compared to other mmos. WoW is just younger and had the advantage of modern medicine that has changed it over time. EQ was thrown into the back shed and forgotten.
Damn look at this edgelord hating on the two most successful MMOs. This guy must be edgy.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not at all. Played both games and enjoyed them. EQ more, but it was my first mmo.

But they are were very similar when Vanilla WoW came out, Much more so than the competition.

Tenks

I'd argue too many MMOs that followed WoW tried to emulate WoW too closely and it was a detriment to the entire genre. WoW took the best aspects of EQ and removed or polished the worst aspects. Other MMOs just took WoW nearly wholesale, actively made good stuff worse and put out a sterile game without any of the charm that made WoW so successful.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I foresee this ending like a Heaven's Gate repeat. Since Brad can't afford to pay all these developers they are all living in hishousecompound for free. In four or five years he will have convinced them that in order to preserve the MMO genre and ship the game they will have to permanently jack into the matrix which will be accomplished with a mixture of kool-aid and offroad motorcycle fuel, and maybe a touch of opiates.
That sounds like a fun story. Ill watch the lifetime version with Jorge Garcia as Brad.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I started a new EQ1 account (couldn't recover my old one) and logged in. I jokingly asked in game if EQ1 had dailies...queue"go back to WOW"and"EQ doesn't do daily quests"

...and then I found the guy in POK who hands out daily "tasks". Totally not dailies, nope.

I was also funny listening to the current hardcores complaining about anyone who took the lvl 70 boost + additional AA, but simultaneously bitching about anyone under 8k AA or whatever the new "minimum number of AA to group" total is. Fucking sad."BRB, grinding out 10K AA on this new account"

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I started a new EQ1 account (couldn't recover my old one) and logged in. I jokingly asked in game if EQ1 had dailies...queue"go back to WOW"and"EQ doesn't do daily quests"

...and then I found the guy in POK who hands out daily "tasks". Totally not dailies, nope.

I was also funny listening to the current hardcores complaining about anyone who took the lvl 70 boost + additional AA, but simultaneously bitching about anyone under 8k AA or whatever the new "minimum number of AA to group" total is. Fucking sad."BRB, grinding out 10K AA on this new account"
I can't imagine the population of EQ is very healthy in 2016. Hell, the fact that anyone is still playing it is quite shocking. I'd like to log in just to see how different it really is after 12 years away, but it would probably be like seeing your ex girlfriend after not seeing her in years and now she's 40 pounds overweight and has three kids...