Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Dullahan

Golden Knight of the Realm
3 years is a long time. Look what crowfall did in a year.
Crowfall started with a million+ in personal and private investments followed by a successful kickstarter. Not excusing anything, they deserved it. They had their shit in order, but lets keep things in perspective.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Keep it in perspective. Compared to what SOE/DBG had funding wise and what they put out with EQN, this looks pretty successful so far.

Compared to Crowfall, it looks like crap. It's all relative.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Keep it in perspective. Compared to what SOE/DBG had funding wise and what they put out with EQN, this looks pretty successful so far.

Compared to Crowfall, it looks like crap. It's all relative.
Well also keep in mind that Brad was able to keep up the smoke and mirrors show for Microsoft when they were paying him and asking for regular updates. I am sure he can smoke and mirrors morons via twitch.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't consider Pantheon a thing until after Fuzzy Troll era.. I don't believe much of anything was done prior to that.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I don't consider Pantheon a thing until after Fuzzy Troll era.. I don't believe much of anything was done prior to that.
The FT era was necessary. At that point, Brad realised he was an incompetent jackass and needed help. It has been nice to see him work the aspect he really has some talent for. Im hoping old Brad doesn't come back after they sell 50 k digital DLs but....it is Brad.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I don't mean to call Valderen an idiot, because I don't believe that to be true.
Thanks
smile.png

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Crowfall started with a million+ in personal and private investments followed by a successful kickstarter. Not excusing anything, they deserved it. They had their shit in order, but lets keep things in perspective.
Picking CF as your MMO timetable example is picking the exception rather than the rule, for sure.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Nice backhanded compliment. Yet, entirely true. Personally, I'd play this game as is. The new environmental screenshot is damn gorgeous:

https://twitter.com/Aradune/status/748274571292213248
Looks great until your fps shutters down to 10 because 10 people and a handful of NPCs jump into the screen and the game crashes. Then you log back in and you rubber band all over the place as the ping registers around 500.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Crowfall just shows you what you can do in unity in shirt time.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending ponderous development cycles and bloated budgets. If the genre wants to survive it needs to learn how to do more with less and much faster. CF seems to be a good example of that so far. I'm just saying that historically mmos take forever and cost a fortune. But that's one reason so many fail.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Nice backhanded compliment. Yet, entirely true. Personally, I'd play this game as is. The new environmental screenshot is damn gorgeous:

https://twitter.com/Aradune/status/748274571292213248
Long range environmental screenshots are so misleading because you rarely will get that perspective in game. Even in that shot you can really tell it's outdated. I'm not saying it's bad if the gameplay is good but it's definitely nothing to be amazed about and actually playing view won't be as nice.

It's nice that it's not all brown, though.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Of course this makes me the apologist but you realize that's most likely a first pass on a zone, right?

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Looks great until your fps shutters down to 10 because 10 people and a handful of NPCs jump into the screen and the game crashes. Then you log back in and you rubber band all over the place as the ping registers around 500.
You mean like what didn't happen in the twitch when a bunch of players and mobs appeared on the screen?

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Oh shits it's getting real, they showed some unity shit on twitch guys this thing is going platinum. If you watched their little stream it looked like clunky dogshit. And keep in mind whatever they show is set up on an environment specifically tailored to show you what they are capable of, or have accomplished. Of course for those of you who were ready to take your lord and savior Brad deep in your mouth from day one he could piss in your face and you would ask for more.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oh shits it's getting real, they showed some unity shit on twitch guys this thing is going platinum. If you watched their little stream it looked like clunky dogshit. And keep in mind whatever they show is set up on an environment specifically tailored to show you what they are capable of, or have accomplished. Of course for those of you who were ready to take your lord and savior Brad deep in your mouth from day one he could piss in your face and you would ask for more.
Jelly^

Pantheon on Twitter:

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
Clunky comes from using placeholder assets. Right now it is the right thing to do. Abilities and all the timing will change, so there's little point in anything fancy till that's all final.

Doing that stuff too early leads to animation driven timing (because changing a number is cheaper than redoing animations).