Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Posting this because people seem to think Unity isn't capable of amazing graphics.

A lot of the people who seem to do these crazy level design scenes are from South Asia

View attachment 119292

I could be mistaken but I don't recall anyone really shitting on Unity as an engine. All of the shit mostly goes to Brad himself not even his teammates of which I know a few have been highly praised. I think most of the ridicule comes from the fact we have seen good unity stuff and it wasn't from Pantheon.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
There's nothing particularly impressive about that screenshot.

What the fuck did you say?

prvvngrdsghrs_l1.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Posting this because people seem to think Unity isn't capable of amazing graphics.

A lot of the people who seem to do these crazy level design scenes are from South Asia

View attachment 119292

What kind of seconds per frame are we talking about with rainfall, mist, clouds, and a horizon at that distance?

P.S. Why the fuck can you see blue sky with rainfall that heavy? Is the person that designed that literally retarded? 2/10 Would not bang.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I think everyone knows that Unity can produce some impressive graphics. What most of us worry about is if Brad and his crew are capable of producing anything impressive. Personally, I'm glad they've gotten as far as they have, but I'm still hoping they find a company that wants to take this project on and provide the type of scratch that a game like this truly needs to be successful.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>

South Asia is pretty much MMO central for awesome graphics along with poor gameplay.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Pretty much. I dont think Ive never not been impressed with the graphics of south asian MMO's. The art style may not be to my liking for some of them, but they definitely look pretty. If they had a mix of Bethesda / Blizzard mix game play and their graphics, Id probably be hooked. The graphics arent everliving golem kind of shit for Pantheon, which if the game play is any good - I wont mind that much. But I mean.. Ive been playing WoW off and on since its alpha and though the art style is really forgiving for graphics, its still an ugly f'n turd.

A lot of complaints about how much certain things remind them of EverQuest, but I know a good chunk of people that have cycled through P99 at some point and got max level. If they can reignite whatever it is about EverQuest that draws people to it, then I think they'll have a solid niche group that they can build from. I would still like to see more media from their dungeons and if they even have a single raid, yet.

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think everyone knows that Unity can produce some impressive graphics. What most of us worry about is if Brad and his crew are capable of producing anything impressive. Personally, I'm glad they've gotten as far as they have, but I'm still hoping they find a company that wants to take this project on and provide the type of scratch that a game like this truly needs to be successful.

A lean budget may actually be a good thing for VR. Obviously, they still need a certain dollar amount just to finish developing the entire game to launch. What that amount is and how much they've secured already are beyond most everyone's knowledge on this board.

It brings up a topic I've been wondering about lately though. 15-20 years ago when the MMO space was comprised of UO, EQ, DAoC, WoW, etc, the industry pretty much standardized on only one payment model: box sales + subscription. IIRC, games were typically a $40-50 purchase plus a standard monthly fee of $14.99. I know Sony later changed it to $12.99 for EQ which I believe is still in place today. No idea what Blizz still charges for WoW.

The question is, in today's ultra-saturated MMO market utilizing numerous payment options catering to gamer's personal preferences, what are people willing to pay these days for a brand new, sub-based game? Does $12.99 still seem "fair" or does it need to be something lower?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i think it would have to be $9.99. maybe if consumers still had faith in the model they could get away with more, but until it reproves itself you're not going to get a lot... and then you can't really raise the price from the initial without alienating people... so yeah i think they're doomed to figuring out how to make it work for cheaper.

Sevens

Log Wizard
They have stated they are looking at between 1-15 dollars for the sub...and that 30k players would be what they were hoping to see at launch, with 50k or more being a dream
I really do think they can keep a small team that is decentralized to cut down on cost

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider
South Asia? I think all the awesome looking Asian MMOs are either from Korea or Japan.

I agree 100%. Speaking from a pure technical perspective, it's the Western MMOs play like shit (with the exception of WoW to a certain degree). Looks, well that is personal preference, but I have yet to see a "pretty" Western MMO.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
They have stated they are looking at between 1-15 dollars for the sub...and that 30k players would be what they were hoping to see at launch, with 50k or more being a dream
I really do think they can keep a small team that is decentralized to cut down on cost

they're going to run into customer service issues at a huge scale with a small team.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
they're going to run into customer service issues at a huge scale with a small team.
Definitely a valid concern, i think it's one that we are going to being seeing a lot of once the first wave of these smaller indie studios finally release their games. It will be interesting to see how these studios juggle CS while working on new expansions, etc.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The thing I miss is not just high level mobs in lower level areas, but slightly higher level mobs that roam. I started in Kelethin and outside are level 1 bats, wasps, orc pawns, and some other shit. And then you get wolves and various things that are a level or two higher. But walking right amongst all of it will be a level 7 ish Orc Centurion who can kill any newbie in a few hits. So you learn early to be careful, watch where you are going, watch your back... and learn what to do when things go wrong. Mostly that is run to the guards immediately and hope for the best. Since EQ no other games do that, and newbie areas are just shooting galleries for levelling up mindless plebby modern gamers. Also the mobs aren't even aggro now... Everything is indifferent so you just walk around in zero danger, picking off mobs one by one. EQ had aggro mobs and aggro higher level roamers. Add in things like fizzles, resists, and interrupts, and life was dangerous for newbies.

One thing that I always liked about EQ is that far off dungeons were dangerous. Especially the ones without choice loot, such as Splitpaw. They were outright terrifying in that there was no way to easily get back to your body. If melee and no cities nearby and at the time there were also no good maps of the place circulating around... shit was rough.

Of course once you kill everything in it its really, meh. But the mystery of it was awesome. A lot of dungeons and areas had this kind of mystery. Siren's Grotto (fuck that place), Crystal Caverns (cool Dwarf colony in the bottom with lore and bank!), Kaesora, Mines of Nurga, really a ton of them were awesome.

Lots of the lesser traveled dungeons were pretty cool.

Edited because I wrote with my phone and ungh.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
My solution would be to just troll blizzard by putting their customer service number in the info section of my shitty indy game.