Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Jarek

Molten Core Raider
Geoff Zatkin was the guy who did the spell system in EQ. That's like one of the best features of EQ. The entire spell system was dead-on balls tight and responsive. Is that dude working on the game? They need him to do their magic system for real.

xzi

Mouthbreather
To be fair there's no room in the mainstream AAA for a Pantheon, at least they know that while on this project.

Dullahan

Golden Knight of the Realm
If Pantheon tried to be a mainstream game, it couldn't be the game they're proposing. Mainstream games means flashy graphics and good marketing to hook enough people to pay your bills before switching to f2p and milking people for a few years. It's a dying model.

Even if Pantheon is wildly successful, it still wouldn't be mainstream.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I don't really want this to be mainstream and I hope they never get the itch to make this something huge either. If they can some how keep their expectations at check and consider this thing a success with 250k with about a 500k ceiling, then what more could they want? If this game comes in a 300k at $12 a month $3.6 million right there which comes to $43.2 million a year. That's not bad and I think everyone can make a decent living at that and do something they love. The only problem is, how many, if this becomes successful, will hang around and make this a passion project? How long will it be until they take that "next step" in their career and move on. I don't worry near as much about the game as I do it's people. I don't know if they can handle success for one or if they are willing to weather any storms either. It looks like this thing will happen. Curious if it will have that enduring feeling though. EQ had several pieces that were very underrated. The people of course, music, and places that meant something. You just can't be a gamer and capture that feeling. I don't think many understand it. If Brad has anything to offer, I do think he understands what EQ was/is but I have no idea how that idea has changed in his brain.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
If Pantheon tried to be a mainstream game, it couldn't be the game they're proposing. Mainstream games means flashy graphics and good marketing to hook enough people to pay your bills before switching to f2p and milking people for a few years. It's a dying model.

Even if Pantheon is wildly successful, it still wouldn't be mainstream.

Unfortunately this is the case. Also unfortunately, a lot of relic D-bags are still making these things chasing not the game, but the cash they used to have as a result. Their cheese moved so long ago the book "Who Moved my Cheese" in whatever reality they live in has had about 56 sequels and it still doesn't sink in.

Now, I'll be fair and say I do not know if that is the case here. I am sure it has something to do with it. But if the people hopping on board are doing it for the latter and not the former, they should throw in the towel now.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to get a bunch of old hacks together and recreate what you already created in new tech. What it takes are those willing to learn from past mistakes and bring in fresh ideas. Meaning, they don't need another Zatkin, or that other egomaniac who created Dragon Necropolis, Tower of Frozen Shadow, and others.... I cannot even remember his handle anymore or his name so that was how important he was.

What they need is fresh meat. Either way, stream didn't look bad but this is a long ways away from becoming a game. And time will tell if it will even be sustainable in today's market with today's market target. And the other flip side is, a lot of people who love this style of game (Me included) and to also be fair, call myself a relic customer of the MMORPG genre; where the hell will we find the time any more.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider

Baby-Laughing-Hard-and-Falls-Over.gif

• 4Worf
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Muligan

Trakanon Raider

I know... I know. I was just using numbers. I'm just hoping that on their end, as they get closer to actually releasing something they don't fool themselves into thinking that this thing should draw a million or something crazy. I pulled the 250k from some old EQ numbers as that should be their goal. Think EQ's best numbers were 500k maybe?

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I don't really want this to be mainstream and I hope they never get the itch to make this something huge either. If they can some how keep their expectations at check and consider this thing a success with 250k with about a 500k ceiling, then what more could they want? If this game comes in a 300k at $12 a month $3.6 million right there which comes to $43.2 million a year. That's not bad and I think everyone can make a decent living at that and do something they love. The only problem is, how many, if this becomes successful, will hang around and make this a passion project? How long will it be until they take that "next step" in their career and move on. I don't worry near as much about the game as I do it's people. I don't know if they can handle success for one or if they are willing to weather any storms either. It looks like this thing will happen. Curious if it will have that enduring feeling though. EQ had several pieces that were very underrated. The people of course, music, and places that meant something. You just can't be a gamer and capture that feeling. I don't think many understand it. If Brad has anything to offer, I do think he understands what EQ was/is but I have no idea how that idea has changed in his brain.

There is no way in hell this thing will ever have more than 50k subscribed with 15k sustained. Ever. And that's being overly optimistic and generous at that. Most people will buy into this thinking this is what they want, realize the time effort, say "I cannot put this much time into this thing like I did with EQ", and fall off the radar.

And the rest of the MMORPG market gave up on anything but WoW.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
The problem with citing player numbers from other games is that those games had swollen populations that collapsed down to their [much smaller] stable population. It seems unlikely to me that Pantheon would achieve a large initial population; therefore when the inevitable population collapse occurs it will leave too small of a player base to sustain the overhead/operational costs of the game. Competent management could run a steady population of a few thousand players, but we’re tragically stuck in this reality, not the one where Brad is any semblance of a competent manager.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
There is no way in hell this thing will ever have more than 50k subscribed with 15k sustained. Ever. And that's being overly optimistic and generous at that. Most people will buy into this thinking this is what they want, realize the time effort, say "I cannot put this much time into this thing like I did with EQ", and fall off the radar.

And the rest of the MMORPG market gave up on anything but WoW.

Completely agree... just chiming in on their progress and hoping they keep their goals realistic. I just have a sense that they, and possibly some of their following, may just go off the deep end over some visual improvements. The key for them and many is to understand what it is and that's ok if it's nothing more than that in my opinion. Brad simply needs a game to ship. I think that would help him more than anything.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Cuz they don't want another WoW clone either I guess

Just an EQ clone? I mean I liked EQ too, but I doubt many of us would want to play the original again today. I know there are some P99 guys but the number is minuscule.

Last edited:

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I would like to remind everyone that the Kickstarter launched in January 2014 and we were talking with Brad on the forums here a few months before they even put up the Kickstater. They had already planned to release this fucker Jan 2017

We are going on 4 years of development time and these fraud thieving cunts are just now reaching a point of Pre-Alpha one, again whatever the fuck that means. During this 4 year period they have been charging the fanbase $$$$ of which Brad has spent on himself. Remember when he was promising during the kickstater he wasn't gonna be the CEO of this project? Point is the guy is a lying sack of shit. They are finally reaching a point after 4 years that now is the time they should be announcing the game to the world and putting together a kickstarter.

I mean I get it the MMO market just isn't there and many of us desperately would love a game that fills that niche world we all would be happy to escape to but aside from some pictures of water and a facebook post about Steve Dave the creator of LGuk what the fuck have they shown you? Some unity assets and some trees and shit. I am all for wasting $50-60 on a box and playing this for with some of you guys just for the experience good or bad but the reality is at the current development pace we will all be living in Assist Living Facilities by the time this shit sees the light of day.

Rise of the fucking fallen indeed.

elevator-old-guy.gif

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users