Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Yes if they make a prettied up Rallos Zek server EQ clone I will play it over a WoW clone

I ain't ashamed to admit it

• 1Barf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

xzi

Mouthbreather
I think you vastly underestimate the amount of time it takes to make games, let alone an MMO. I'll agree though they should have waited until they actually had something to show to make a Kickstarter.

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'll definitely check this out, but that $1200 buy-in is out of my price range by about $1199.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
Just an EQ clone? I mean I liked EQ too, but I doubt many of us would want to play the original again today. I know there are some P99 guys but the number is minuscule.
i'd play an updated EQ version in a heartbeat. I mean not exactly the same its almost 20 years later, but something modern with a heavy influence of EQ. I know quite a few people that would be all for it. The shit they spew out now? im out. Game would be great for me, i have ban insomnia alot, so it would just help me waste away hours at night! lol

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I would be down for a modern eq clone too. Hand crafted items that mean something, the grind, the risk vs reward. I bet if this shit is good it would even attract some of the wow fags. That is, if it's good, like eq good, not vanguard good.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Yeah I would be down for a modern eq clone too. Hand crafted items that mean something, the grind, the risk vs reward. I bet if this shit is good it would even attract some of the wow fags. That is, if it's good, like eq good, not vanguard good.
EQ with Vanguard color palette?

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
You thought you were making fun of sub numbers but in reality that kid just became one of the Fallen.

I didn't google "falling down laughing gif" on accident. ;)

About the numbers though, I've said it before and I'll say it again if I need to: Pantheon is not going to have many more long term subscribers than there are currently people playing EQ in its various forms. The people playing EQ on Live and emulation servers are where almost all of Pantheon's potential whales are going to come from, and if Pantheon is a shit show at launch they're probably going to go back to EQ pretty quick. Sure there'll be a decent number of people that play Pantheon for the first few months, or even a year if there's enough content to last that long (there won't be), but most people that try Pantheon out won't stay for long at all if it really does deliver the "old school experience" like the marketing mumbo jumbo we've all heard so far.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I would like to remind everyone that the Kickstarter launched in January 2014 and we were talking with Brad on the forums here a few months before they even put up the Kickstater. They had already planned to release this fucker Jan 2017

We are going on 4 years of development time and these fraud thieving cunts are just now reaching a point of Pre-Alpha one, again whatever the fuck that means. During this 4 year period they have been charging the fanbase $$$$ of which Brad has spent on himself. Remember when he was promising during the kickstater he wasn't gonna be the CEO of this project? Point is the guy is a lying sack of shit. They are finally reaching a point after 4 years that now is the time they should be announcing the game to the world and putting together a kickstarter.

I mean I get it the MMO market just isn't there and many of us desperately would love a game that fills that niche world we all would be happy to escape to but aside from some pictures of water and a facebook post about Steve Dave the creator of LGuk what the fuck have they shown you? Some unity assets and some trees and shit. I am all for wasting $50-60 on a box and playing this for with some of you guys just for the experience good or bad but the reality is at the current development pace we will all be living in Assist Living Facilities by the time this shit sees the light of day.

Rise of the fucking fallen indeed.

elevator-old-guy.gif

What do you do for a living? Have you ever started an entrepreneurial venture?

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>

Probably not, but the people working on this have. Having experienced people working on it, one might think that it would be done a bit quicker.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Probably not, but the people working on this have. Having experienced people working on it, one might think that it would be done a bit quicker.
Not if they have lack of resources (money) like I think they have. Also I don't think shipping a buggy unfinished pos like vanguard again is the way to go. And I think they kind of know this now, hopefully.

Also I think people are wrong in saying that a game like this, when done correctly, will only attract old eq people. While this might be true in the beginning, people are thirsty for mmorpgs, except the slew of shitty wow clones and Korean grind fests we have been seeing for the better part of a decade. (And yet some still sell hundreds of thousands of copies) Make a good mmorpg game and people will come. Gamer community is pretty tight and they move in droves to the new shiny.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Quaid

Trump's Staff

If I remember correctly the '4 year plan' was based on an initial assumed capitalization of $400,000+ dollars and a team already in place.

Brad ended up with $40,000 and a family of fuzzy trolls.

Holding him to the kickstarter promise of 2017 is asinine.

• 1Worf

Reht

Molten Core Raider
If I remember correctly the '4 year plan' was based on an initial assumed capitalization of $400,000+ dollars and a team already in place.

Brad ended up with $40,000 and a family of fuzzy trolls.

Holding him to the kickstarter promise of 2017 is asinine.
Yeah, I also think they scrapped a lot or most of what was done up to the Fuzzy Troll era, at least i remember reading something Kilsin posted along those lines on their boards; that like they basically pretty much started over like 2 or 2.5 years ago. I might be misremembering and their forum software is such shit that it's not worth trying to find it.

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Fair enough. I have only been loosely been following this over the years. I really shouldn't have been as surprised... I am getting soft in my old age.

2002User

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I would like to remind everyone that the Kickstarter launched in January 2014 and we were talking with Brad on the forums here a few months before they even put up the Kickstater. They had already planned to release this fucker Jan 2017

Remember when he was promising during the kickstater he wasn't gonna be the CEO of this project?
He is not the CEO, but the CCO (Chief Creative Officer). Chris Rowan is the CEO of VR.

EQ with Vanguard color palette?
I'll concede that the colors were pretty bad, but that lighting update they just did a stream of got rid of da browns. I'm much more worried about animations and content.

Last edited:

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>

Yeah I have a few of them over the years. I have also experienced failure and a moderate amount of success in doing so. In each venture the first thing I didn't do was set unrealistic expectations, then lie to investors to try and get cash, or worse try to lie to potentinal future customers to pay my salary and for the bisunsss so one day in the future they may have the privilege of buying from me.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Yeah I have a few of them over the years. I have also experienced failure and a moderate amount of success in doing so. In each venture the first thing I didn't do was set unrealistic expectations, then lie to investors to try and get cash, or worse try to lie to potentinal future customers to pay my salary and for the bisunsss so one day in the future they may have the privilege of buying from me.

Was launching the alpha of a Unity based game in 4 years with $500,000 in seed funding and an experienced core team unrealistic?

He gambled on his reputation/brand being enough to generate capital, and that was clearly a miscalculation. The guy clawed himself out of the fucking mud after making that mistake, and has put together an actually compelling early product that may now be at a point to generate some serious investment toward completion. Yes, it's taken twice the amount of time as originally projected.

I'm surprised a fellow entrepreneur doesn't recognize and appreciate that kind of chutzpah. Ah well.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Dullahan

Golden Knight of the Realm
Not if they have lack of resources (money) like I think they have. Also I don't think shipping a buggy unfinished pos like vanguard again is the way to go. And I think they kind of know this now, hopefully.

Also I think people are wrong in saying that a game like this, when done correctly, will only attract old eq people. While this might be true in the beginning, people are thirsty for mmorpgs, except the slew of shitty wow clones and Korean grind fests we have been seeing for the better part of a decade. (And yet some still sell hundreds of thousands of copies) Make a good mmorpg game and people will come. Gamer community is pretty tight and they move in droves to the new shiny.
The idea that a game like EQ updated will not attract a sizeable new audience 20 years later is silly. Very few people play mmos in the grand scheme of things, and why would they? Those people probably represent about 1% of the people who enjoy fantasy.

• 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Was launching the alpha of a Unity based game in 4 years with $500,000 in seed funding and an experienced core team unrealistic?

He gambled on his reputation/brand being enough to generate capital, and that was clearly a miscalculation. The guy clawed himself out of the fucking mud after making that mistake, and has put together an actually compelling early product that may now be at a point to generate some serious investment toward completion. Yes, it's taken twice the amount of time as originally projected.

I'm surprised a fellow entrepreneur doesn't recognize and appreciate that kind of chutzpah. Ah well.

I knock him for lots of things but his persistence isn't one of them. And if the end he makes a good product I will buy it. That doesn't mean I have to respect his methods. In all honesty he came here before the kickstarter you should remember that as you were here then too. We tried to help him flesh out and put some meat behind things and answer some basic questions, you know but an outline of a business plan together before becoming an internet panhandler off his past.

All past stories of Brad isn't about some amazing entrepreneur, it's about how many people his has used and abused to get where he is at. The original team when he was clawing himself out of the mud that he didn't pay while he pocketed money meant for the project to pay for personal bills. The way he handled people at Vangaurd. I know for me I could have more money and success if I had fucked over some people in the past and used them to further myself or cheated them out of equity and pay for working on ideas with me, but I don't respect that kind of behavior.

From a personal perspective I think Brad slighted this community who wanted nothing more than to help him and wish him the best in this endeavor. Then he lied to everyone here and tried to skim money off his name and fan base from EQ. I can't think of a lower way to fuck your base. Sad part if he was honest and forthcoming I would of been way more understanding of the difficulties he faces making this game and supportive of it.

Again look at that kickstarter 4 years ago promising the moon and everything that comes with it when he didn't even have basic art. Remember that the end of the kickstarter doesn't even resemble when it was first put up with a couple of paragraphs and not even concept art. This guy was updating it as he was freaking out on a day to day basis to cover his ass. When many people from the average every day posts to the admins of this board suggested he wait a week or two and prepare properly.

So many people apologize for this asshole, the reason he lost some of the talent like Vu was because he paid himself while fucking over his team. As for the $500k in seed funding. They certainly didn't have that when they started. They hadn't even founded VR realms yet.

• 1Solidarity