Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
You are only assuming that these are placeholders just like he is assuming they are final.

These could easily be the final OR they could look nothing alike by the time they are done.

The developers did this video to highlight the game publicly and in doing so are signaling that there are aspects that are final and some that might be more fluid. It’s the perfect time to be criticizing the current look or even praising it if you do like it.

To say otherwise shows how little you understand game development for starters.

Didn't they specifically say that these are NOT the final graphics? If they are lying about that and the game launches with these graphics then I forsee bigger issues with the game then the character models and animations being shit.

Having said that though its my opinion that they should probably update some character models to show off during these streams. I get the idea that they want core functionality to work before the eye candy but its starting to get distracting watching shitty animations for an hour and a half stream. If they are trying to show off their work and build hype it might just be time to put alittle eye candy in the game.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I personally make Cohh's wide eyed "oh wowwwwww" face the entire time I watch the streams

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Didn't they specifically say that these are NOT the final graphics? If they are lying about that and the game launches with these graphics then I forsee bigger issues with the game then the character models and animations being shit.

Having said that though its my opinion that they should probably update some character models to show off during these streams. I get the idea that they want core functionality to work before the eye candy but its starting to get distracting watching shitty animations for an hour and a half stream. If they are trying to show off their work and build hype it might just be time to put alittle eye candy in the game.
They don’t have to be lying, sometimes you just get too invested in your models and the time it would take to fix it is about the timeframe from Classic to Luclin and then people hate that more.

We can’t know that in pre alpha.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

gugabuba

Golden Knight of the Realm
The trend and meta is speed in everything nowadays, how is this going to bridge gaps or even appeal to anyone outside of EQ players with it being silo'd into that very slow combat?

Maybe this is an argument for the direction--that "everything" is speed, so there's an under-served audience that likes slow gaming. I'm definitely in their niche: about 90% of my gaming time the last couple years has been EQ TLP, Civ and Total War. I want turns, a pause button or slow combat. I played LoL for a while but it mostly stressed me out. I don't know how big the slow audience is in MMOs or if Pantheon will capture it, but Civ and Total War move boxes.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I want to believe Pantheon could be good, but damn, just watched some of the video from the stream and it's so painful.

Combat is slow, movement is slow, graphics are NOT pleasing to the eye.

ugggggggggggggh.

In today's environment, I just don't understand why it looks so bad. Maybe it's the unity engine, idk. I've seen some good stuff from unity. I definitely do not want cartoony graphics, but this is just bad.

The environment looks like you're running around in one of those miniature train-set towns that hobbyists build.
The lighting is so off, not dramatic or exciting, very washed out, lack of good shadows on most objects.

Combat is clunky looking, autoattack needs to die in a fire.

Movement speed is painfully slow.

Camera locations are poor. Maybe it's customizable like EQ but most of the camera angles from Cohh's stream are just bad, straight behind/above character, you don't FEEL like you're in the combat at all, just a spectator watching. And when it's first-person mode it's a little more immersive but watching an AI take 2 seconds to swing his arms is a bit silly.

12 buttons on the skill bar, ughhh.. EQ was best when it was fewer keys to mash and most recent games have limited their skills to fewer as well. Quality over Quantity should be a core tenant.

I'm looking for a lot more immersion, and everything this game is doing is taking away from that.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Tevinter

Lord Nagafen Raider
a lot of the textures looked like they were uncompleted and i hope they get replaced with something better than whats currently in the game. the game somehow manages to look worse than EQ1 despite being made nearly 2 decades later

• 2Worf

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Sorry I am just watching this today.

They keep talking about how this group combat requires more strategy because of the high health of the mobs.

That isn’t even slightly true. It just requires pushing the same buttons over and over. Running low on mana and having to take a med break isn’t strategy ....

Stacking mobs with an enchanter is only barely strategy, just barely.

• 4Solidarity
  • 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 7 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Regime Regime tried to describe it to me over the phone, but all I could get between bursts of laughter was "flying hairpieces and 20 year old graphics". Gotta be a vod of it somewhere.

94A6BDC4-1791-4EDB-8B0B-5FB0CD00F2DC.gif

Tevinter

Lord Nagafen Raider

They keep talking about how this group combat requires more strategy because of the high health of the mobs.

That isn’t even slightly true. It just requires pushing the same buttons over and over. Running low on mana and having to take a med break isn’t strategy ....

high HP mobs can lead to requiring more strategy/group synergy but only if the mobs actually do something other than fucking auto attack. even some real basic shit like if the mob charged up a devastating blow ability and you had to stun it to interrupt it, so then you have to cycle stuns or other CC abilities throughout your group or else the mob does a huge hit on the tank etc. Same thing could be applied to caster mobs doing an AE or big nuke. Having mobs with big health pools and no mechanics is just full retard mode.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider

The tank was supposed to leverage his "skills" of healing to make the healers job easier but his health never dropped. What we saw was basically what every single knight from WoW -> Vanguard -> EQ -> and every other MMO has ever done. Nothing to make it different or new, at least in Vanguard the SK / DK was fun because it had different mechanics, focused on debuffs, had reactives based on tanking only abilities (Chain combos).

Maybe this is an argument for the direction--that "everything" is speed, so there's an under-served audience that likes slow gaming. I'm definitely in their niche: about 90% of my gaming time the last couple years has been EQ TLP, Civ and Total War. I want turns, a pause button or slow combat. I played LoL for a while but it mostly stressed me out. I don't know how big the slow audience is in MMOs or if Pantheon will capture it, but Civ and Total War move boxes.

I am not a fan of ultra speed, Ive adapted to it but I dont prefer it. Im simply stating whether we like it or not thats where the meta and norm is nowadays in MMOs and gaming in general. The way that combat looked the only people who will be playing this is the 90 people coming over from the EQ Emu / TLP servers.

• 1Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
My issue with Pantheon is that in trying to recapture some of the magic that made EQ what it was, they are simply limiting themselves to just recreating EQ with a different coat of paint.

I think it's possible to recapture some of what made EQ special like non-instanced, group oriented, challenging content, have longer TTK, loot that feels truly special and last a long time, etc. and be more than what EQ was.

I was hoping for something more...

• 1Solidarity

orionTZ1998

Golden Squire
C'mon orionTZ1998 orionTZ1998

You can load up any game on a Potato PC and take screenshots. All that does is show how shit the graphical performance of your PC is, not the game. At least be fair with your criticism.

And yes, there is still PLENTY to criticize, even if you aren't being a manipulative and agenda driven. So why be dishonest?
Uh what? I didn't take that screenshot, it came straight from the stream.

• 1Solidarity

Mick

<Gold Donor>
I was hoping that there were going to be fewer skill buttons on the hot bar.
Also the more I watch theses streams i get more of a vanguard successor than an EQ successor.

Dont forget there is a steam at 6pm PDT today.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
This discussion just gave me the sudden urge to log into my active EQ account...

lcxyE0D.gif

• 1Worf

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Game is in pre alpha, and people are bitching about the graphics. Guess none of you retards beta tested WoW then...

• 2Salty

Hmerly

Golden Knight of the Realm
Seems like the streamers are having a good time. This is so much like EQ. Really gets nostalgic.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Game is in pre alpha, and people are bitching about the graphics. Guess none of you retards beta tested WoW then...

It's a lot more worthwhile question when it's a small team versus a behemoth like Blizzard. It would take a lot of work to upgrade all their art assets and it's not like their pace has been very fast. Possible, sure.

Something like that Orc legitimately does look like EQ, though. Other stuff is better but I definitely think the video makes it look a bit old.

• 2Like