Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The only things you'll be playing in the nursing homes are 'Hide your valuables' ,'When are they going to feed me?' and 'Oops I shat myself' (This one some of you have already been playing along with MMO's)

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
c'mon, bro, this thread has no standards

The recent time debate...for me, it's about Time. It's nice when people make the "I only ever had to log in on Tuesdays" argument, but how many people do you know that only played an MMO one day a week?

The days of being a poopsocker and trying to keep up with the Joneses is over for me. I just DGAF. Someone has prettier pixels than I do? I'm ok with that.

We all remember when the biggest thing people looked for was your availability, right? The last thing I want, is to have to structure my life around being near a computer. Am I available 7 days a week? Not really. Will I log on to see if there's some shenanigans going on? Sure.

I could have sworn that there was some sort of Dev statement for Pantheon, that essentially said that they were looking at creating content that could be consumed in 1-2 hour segments. Which I'd be a fan of, as sometimes I just want to get home, cook something, log on for an hour or two, and then log out. I just don't want to be part of regularly scheduled guild events where shit always goes long and the West Coasters bitch nonstop because you're tired and want to log out 'early'. And I'm just like "no, motherfuckers, it's midnight your time, it's 2am here, and I have to get up for work in 4 hours, go fuck yourselves." Especially when you log in after work and had to wait a couple hours on their asses to get home from work.

I ruined school and relationships at one point, playing 80hrs a week. I still play a lot of games, but there's no way I will allow that to happen again.

The recent time debate...for me, it's about Time. It's nice when people make the "I only ever had to log in on Tuesdays" argument, but how many people do you know that only played an MMO one day a week?

The days of being a poopsocker and trying to keep up with the Joneses is over for me. I just DGAF. Someone has prettier pixels than I do? I'm ok with that.

We all remember when the biggest thing people looked for was your availability, right? The last thing I want, is to have to structure my life around being near a computer. Am I available 7 days a week? Not really. Will I log on to see if there's some shenanigans going on? Sure.

I could have sworn that there was some sort of Dev statement for Pantheon, that essentially said that they were looking at creating content that could be consumed in 1-2 hour segments. Which I'd be a fan of, as sometimes I just want to get home, cook something, log on for an hour or two, and then log out. I just don't want to be part of regularly scheduled guild events where shit always goes long and the West Coasters bitch nonstop because you're tired and want to log out 'early'. And I'm just like "no, motherfuckers, it's midnight your time, it's 2am here, and I have to get up for work in 4 hours, go fuck yourselves." Especially when you log in after work and had to wait a couple hours on their asses to get home from work.

I ruined school and relationships at one point, playing 80hrs a week. I still play a lot of games, but there's no way I will allow that to happen again.

Early UO/EQ days were a golden age where I had ample free time, not a ton of responsibility and an established relationship. I could never find that kind of time again between work, kids, wife, friends, activities. Nor do I think I would prioritize EQ the same way. At the time I was broke. EQ was a great bargain of entertainment hours/dollar. Now that I have actual expendable income, I'd prefer traveling and concerts and sporting events and things like that. Back in the day it was easy to turn down shit I couldn't afford and I was hanging out with buddies online anyway.

In many ways I do miss it, in many more I don't. But I agree 100% with you, small easily consumed segments with the occasional late night weekend is more my speed. Staying up until 2am on a work night is not in the cards anymore and I'd rather chill with my kids than spend all day on the computer camping loot.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
That shit would get me with the "ok just a few more minutes" game that eventually turns into 5 hours. Then with original EQ you get a lot of "I'm tired and kinda bored, but fuck I just got into a really good group and I really should milk this as much as I can" and times where you can barely stay awake, but don't want to kill off the group/piss people off by logging without a replacement.

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'd prefer traveling

In many ways I do miss it

/tell Synj We gotta make it to this place called East Commonlands. They sell magnificent items at some tunnel there. Stock up and meet me outside Qeynos Hills in West Karana. That’s the place we killed those lions earlier.

It’s a perilous journey but one you soon won’t forget.

1545527428876.jpeg

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I just don't want to be part of regularly scheduled guild events where shit always goes long and the West Coasters bitch nonstop because you're tired and want to log out 'early'. And I'm just like "no, motherfuckers, it's midnight your time, it's 2am here, and I have to get up for work in 4 hours, go fuck yourselves." Especially when you log in after work and had to wait a couple hours on their asses to get home from work.
Screw you buddy. As a West coaster, we started assembling at 5 and I got off work at 5 and had a 20ish minute drive home so it was always a race home to instantly log in without food or a shower.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Screw you buddy. As a West coaster, we started assembling at 5 and I got off work at 5 and had a 20ish minute drive home so it was always a race home to instantly log in without food or a shower.
You mean 7!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Most of my guild were Euro players. For most of my time in EQ, I was living in California. My day was their night. I was pretty much playing 12 to 14 hours a day. I had no job, was young and dumb, and just burned through all the money I made from working through college. Best time of my life.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
But then on the other hand what if you are in your 40's or 50's, in a settled relationship? MMOs are just so hassle free and uncomplicated. A simple hobby for a simple life. Now teenagers and people in their 20's spending most their time in a MMO is a whole other story.

Everyone's different, if you can stick to just a few hours without it spiraling into entire weekends you're probably fine. Having a stable relationship that drags you away from the computer regularly probably helps too.

Yea, I agree with all of that. I purposely avoided joining a guild in recent years because I never want that level of time commitment to a game again. It also makes it much easier to quit.

However, WoW has made time commitment more and more inherent in the design in the last few expansions. Log in every day (or every few hours) to do your dailies, WQ, emissary, daily dungeon, PVP brawl... the game's basically set up to get you to log in regularly and drip feed you small rewards. It's much like youtube popping up a bunch of new "related" videos after each one or social media providing you with endless new things to look at. It's designed to suck up all your time.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
I think we just saw the essence of how they've lasted this long present itself first hand. People conflating their hobbies with charities.

Pledging is gambling with worse odds than Vegas and no assurances of what you'll actually get even if you win. Full stop.

Way worse than vegas. There's no payout if you win.

Considering that if you don't pledge, and the game releases, you'll still be able to buy it.

At least people have stopped thinking of kickstarter as an investment opportunity. I'm fine with thinking of it as a charity even if that's not quite right. That's probably how you should think of it as a donator. It is not how they should MARKET it, for profit != giving to the local homeless shelter in any moral sense, obviously. Anyone taking the money trying to make that argument needs to be severely beaten with the shit stick. But in the way of "I had money a minute ago, and now I don't, and maybe that guy I gave it to can use it" then yeah. Sure. I can see that.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Kickstarter is the worst thing to ever happen to the video game industry. Now rich guys can get even richer without even having to put up any capital. They don't have to invest anything into the game whatsoever because gamers will pay to make the game for them, and if it bombs, or never comes out (hello Star Citizen) they still make out.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Some good things have come out of kickstarter too. I can't think of one offhand, but I know they exist.

was Minecraft kickstarted? Maybe not. That pillars of eternity game was though. The game has its problems and is solidly meh, but it released and wasn't a scam.

devs can just scam you directly now instead of having to scam a publisher. Honestly, I'd call that a good thing. It ain't perfect though.

rinthea

Trakanon Raider
Kick starter just increases the chances the business is a scam. There is still a chance it isn't. And there are legit businesses that wouldn't' exist without it. The problem is deciphering which is which.

The problem I have with Kick-starter is that the investment alternatives are illegal. It's ok to donate money to a kick starter. But it's not ok to invest micro amounts into a product in a similar device. If I could have a claim on future earnings of 'kickstarter xyz' for $50 I'd be more inclined give money to it, or invest in it. Something like Uber that says, ' fuck you,' to existing laws and brute forces its way in, but for micro investing. Perhaps it exists, I don't know.

It's pretty obvious to me that Pantheon is going to be a phenomenal success. The market is crying out for a MMO that isn't outright horrendous. And there's no alternatives, the only issue they have is getting it out in a reasonable time. I'm boggled that one of the better funded & smarter publishers haven't thrown some money at them to make it happen.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Sevens

Log Wizard
It's pretty obvious to me that Pantheon is going to be a phenomenal success. The market is crying out for a MMO that isn't outright horrendous. And there's no alternatives, the only issue they have is getting it out in a reasonable time. I'm boggled that one of the better funded & smarter publishers haven't thrown some money at them to make it happen.

You can take this for what its worth but...the CEO of VRI has stated that the game is in a good place funding wise atm and they will not accept any funding from Gaming studios or publishers so that they can make the game they want to make and not be forced into concessions on "The Vision"

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
I believe peloton was a kickstarter project. That sits somewhere around gamification and IOT / V/R for working out.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
was Minecraft kickstarted? Maybe not.
Nope. Minecraft was a guy goofing about voxels in java and showing youtubes about his code, then asking for money for his codebase because it was becoming a full-time job.

• 1Like

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Nope. Minecraft was a guy goofing about voxels in java and showing youtubes about his code, then asking for money for his codebase because it was becoming a full-time job.
I think Zapatta Zapatta needs to offer a subscription service for disseminating all those tweets, then

• 1Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've been happy with the things I've backed on Kickstarter, but I haven't backed many. The Shadowrun Returns games are the most recent thing I can think of that I backed. Kickstarter is like any other platform you use to spend your money-- it's caveat emptor. Do research, use common sense, and don't get caught up in the hype.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users