Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Letsinod

Lord Nagafen Raider
I was commenting on this the other day. Either they are absolutely horrible at generating hype or they have nothing to show off. Not to repeat myself but they either need to just put all the chips out on the table or start getting creative on maintain/generating more hype. I don't think it's looking very good either and that has nothing to do with the state of their game. Essentially they are going to force themselves into irrelevancy and it's hard to come out of that. Disasters are more marketable than stale mediocrity but here we are and I hate to see them come to the obvious realization that there's more to this than just the occasional update. I'm not doubting their work or minimizing the amount of work they have done or will do but they started with an uphill battle in terms of their player base.

Normally I would agree but everyone is so fucking desperate for anything they will play this pile of poo.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Normally I would agree but everyone is so fucking desperate for anything they will play this pile of poo.

You're not wrong... I probably will too.. but it's going to be agonizing in the mean time and they're doing it to themselves and their player base

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I'm ready to invest my time into another MMO, but the way this is going, it's probably 2 years away from releasing, which makes it almost impossible to be excited. I mean, this thread about the game started what, 4 or 5 years ago?

• 1Worf

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
The reality is that even if they get this out, there is no way they will have enough content or a consistent enough content cycle to keep it interesting. MMOs take an ungodly amount of production time, staff, and money to work.

• 1Like

dizzie

Triggered Happy
I don't see this releasing in 2 years. Even when it's actually in alpha there's going to be metric fucktons of bugs and stuff to iron out - there's going to have to be weeks of internal testing before they do anything public.

If it releases in 2 years it will be an utter mess. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if this took another 4-5 years.

How have they got enough money to keep this ship afloat?

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Adinirahc

Trakanon Raider
The reality is that even if they get this out, there is no way they will have enough content or a consistent enough content cycle to keep it interesting. MMOs take an ungodly amount of production time, staff, and money to work.

Totally agree. When I watched the early streams of the game, I got the impression they weren't really trying to reinvent the wheel here. I think if they would have stuck to what they already knew worked with EQ and just ported most of that into a new world, with new lore and updated graphics, they had a chance at making this game on a shoestring budget. As soon as they started talking about all these new "innovative" ideas they wanted to implement to "push the genre forward", it started going off the rails IMO. They don't have the bankroll for that.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I don't see this releasing in 2 years. Even when it's actually in alpha there's going to be metric fucktons of bugs and stuff to iron out - there's going to have to be weeks of internal testing before they do anything public.

If it releases in 2 years it will be an utter mess. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if this took another 4-5 years.

How have they got enough money to keep this ship afloat?

Apprentice Developer subscriptions, people are stupid as shit and will stay signed up to something for decades even if it provides no benefit to them. As an example American Inventors still be subbed up to AOL.

• 1Like

Braen

<Medals Crew>
Everyday bring us closer to the mythical release of Pantheon: Rise of the Patience.

• 3Like

Jarek

Molten Core Raider
I just spent way too much time reading up on this thread, but I saw someone mention something (which I’m not gonna go back to find and quote sorry) that is really accurate: At some point Pantheon jumped the shark in terms of design direction.

I’m thinking the pay-to-post suggestions forum may be the problem, with the devs having to take all those hair brained ideas and implement them because the “backers” pay them. Or, maybe it’s just a shitty, young adult author level of writing talent on the actual team. I can only speculate, but the weird “gnome” design, the over the top “environmental hazards” system, the O’ver’use o’f A’pos’tro’phe in naming things... it all smells like a sophomoric amateur’s conception of “New and innovative Fantasy setting!!!”

Getting sidetracked by “unique” design decisions isn’t practical in terms of development time/resources, and having lore, races, and setting be odd and different “just because” isn’t very appealing. Go with what you know works, then add on top of that, instead of derailing development with “unique and innovative “ (unnecessary) distractions.

I think I’ve heard the Pantheon people say they don’t just want to make a reskinned EQ or Vanguard, but that would honestly be the best place to start in my opinion.

• 3Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think I’ve heard the Pantheon people say they don’t just want to make a reskinned EQ or Vanguard, but that would honestly be the best place to start in my opinion.

That's what most people on this board want. Hard to ask a designer not to try new things and implement their own ideas though. I'm sure the impulse is to use EQ/VG as a base and build on it. The crowd-sourced design thing was a TERRIBLE idea from the start, like a lot of us mentioned when they first came up with it. A bunch of random people from the general public with random ideas sounds like a recipe for disaster. The best thing Verant did back in the old days was ignore 95% of what the fan base said. Seriously. Back in 99 and early 2000, you couldn't really even get in touch with anyone outside of the game, and they certainly weren't taking suggestions from the crowd. VI unapologetically did what they thought they needed to do and made the game they wanted to play, and it worked. Some of that spirit was still alive in the guys I worked with at Sigil who had been there for the early EQ days.

• 1Like

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Asherons Call did a fantastic job of keeping fheir fans engaged in a meaningful way. Official forums and feedback from monthly events were some of the ways we could voice our opinions about certain gameplay elements/changes.

Its not like they took anyones direct advice, but they would move the needle if their was an overwhelming consensus. For instance, very early on there was a huge problem for melee based characters in terms of pvp against mages or archers. If your opponent simply just kited you, you could never land an attack.

Hence the arrival of "sticky melee". The devs came up with a pretty solid solution, which was to simply make the melee attacker "stick" to their target after a succesful initial attack.

You wouldnt just stick to someone like glue though, you would be able to land maybe 4 to 6 speed strikes before your opponent would disengage if their run speed was higher. Melee defense was also a factor, but either way it was a great example of the community having a positive effect on the game.

• 1Like

dizzie

Triggered Happy
So they want to make:

Day night cycles
Dynamic events
Atmosphere system
Extreme climates system
Perceptions
NPC dispositions
Crafting/harvesting
Climbable surfaces
Intractable objects
Significant boss encounters

AND MORE....

Fucking hell, this games not coming out till 2035..

• 3Like
  • 3Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Vaporware - Wikipedia

You guys are dopey as fuck. What exactly will it take for you morons to realize this is just another scam and the best you can hope for if it ever does see the light of day is a boxed turd.

They haven't learned shit since 2013. Look at the Kickstarter again, and accept it.

rrr_img_56142.jpg

In September 2013, Brad McQuaid let itslip on Twitterthat he's gone from SOE and on to a new project. He made the vague reference that it relates to previous tweets about a niche MMO with a smaller budget not geared toward the mainstream. The project was eventually announced as Kickstarter-bound and Brad had assembled a new team. Legends say a ninja warrior caught wind that the game was to be called Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen.

Pantheon is set to launch on Kickstarter sometime in January of 2014.

1/13/14:Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen by Visionary Realms, Inc. Kickstarter

Work in progress on the OP, will be updating with more information.

Bigdogchris compiled list of requested features

Brad Quotes

Brad looks at the past and the road ahead

On feature creep:

On Pantheon's scope and developing a world the size of Norrath

Modern concepts being tested, but not forced in

Pantheon drops the dots

PVP is a stretch goal so insert all your tokens, BigFlex

Players within a class can differentiate themselves, but your class is your class

Much to tad's delight, OT/DT is in Pantheon

Feedback will be based around the people Pantheon is aiming for

On flagging

The team on Twitter

Brad McQuaid
Corey LeFever
Jason Weimann-- But seriously, do something with that Twitter that isn't ad related.
Ben de la Durantaye
Tony Garcia
Noel Walling
Pantheon Twitter account

The concept art

rrr_img_56143.jpg

rrr_img_56144.jpg

rrr_img_56145.jpg

rrr_img_56147.jpg

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users