Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
How much did they pay EQ2 for all the climbing animation assets?

Considering that Cohh used to play EQ2 a lot I'm surprised he didn't even mention the similarities.

Also holy fuck Pantheon makes it clear that stacking high DPS is pretty much essential unless you wanna grind on Vex Thal-tier mob HP all day.

Last edited:

dizzie

Triggered Happy
It looks terrible and it looks like it plays terrible, the streamer didn't look like he was enjoying himself very much. Grouping also looks like a complete shitfest.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mat'hir Uth Gan

Trakanon Raider
Still hoping for the best with this game, but that stream was flatout a disaster in my book. It's obvious Cohh isn't practicing the Warrior, so he has no idea what he is doing and it showed as half the stream was him borking the pulls and getting everyone killed. The same exact pull too. The zone and climbing stuff along with the lore was solid enough. Animations were new and they still looked bad. That taunt animation is laughably bad. But yeah, I walked away from that disappointed. They need to unveil Faerthale soon to show what they've been doing the last 15 months. If that's a bust, I think its time to stick a fork in this game. They are also deleting all critical posts on the forums, if you don't suck their dick and blow smoke up their ass, your critiques tend to vanish. This entire year has seemed like a massive disaster for Pantheon, not even considering Brad's death, very much seems like they peaked with Black Rose Keep and the class reveals two years ago, it's been a dumpster fire since.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Same shit Brad did during Vanguard. Their forums were constantly being cleansed or anything negative. Usually everyone would dogpile on anything negative and say they were a wow fanboi first. Reminds me of the current “whoever doesn’t agree with me is a nazi” shit going on now in social media.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
It looks terrible and it looks like it plays terrible, the streamer didn't look like he was enjoying himself very much. Grouping also looks like a complete shitfest.

Tbf, I've never seen anyone playing an MMO "look like" they were enjoying themselves.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Amberfaet, Dec 11, 2016, after vestibule:

Amberfaet, Dec 12, 2019, after vestibule:

Looks like they changed the global lighting and fog settings for the zone, yet, world geometry is largely unchanged.
To me, it doesn't appear to reflect the progress that 3 years of 15+ FTE's worth of effort should, but YMMV.

The sad thing is when Cohcarnage asks about that bridge in the distance. "Is that the bridge where I needed frost protection the last time?' Yeah". He gives yearly updated streams and they are still playing the same three to four zones years later. Progress!!

Edit- You know cohcarnage has to be fucking someone's sister to still be on board with this. "Guys, I'm fucking tired of playing the same zones every year. Isn't there something new to show?"

"Samantha said hi. Did you still want her to drop by after we get done in a few hours?"

"Yeah, I guess we can play for a few hours until she gets here. Is she bringing pizza because my disappointment threshold will be getting pretty high 90 minutes in. I might need something extra."

Last edited:

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
its a very low investment on his end to be THE pantheon guy. IF the game takes off he's their guy. If (when) it doesn't, he's still got thousands of viewers for other shit.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Lack of support for other alternatives, even dim hopes is a sure fire way to get stuck with WoW/clones.

What are our other options at this point?

If you choose to play any MMO at all, then that is your choice. If all your options are shitty and you still insist on choosing what you think is the 'least' shitty, option, then enjoy your shit option. But don't try arguing that we are limited to your narrow options, and must choose one of them.

You ask what other options there are, while ignoring an untold number of options that exist outside of MMOs.

One of the arguments we've heard here for years, is that all of 'us' need to support Pantheon, so that a 'quality' MMO gets made. And it's always been a bad argument, because throwing more money at Pantheon was never a guarantee of success. The entire project has been a clown car since inception, and in all likelihood throwing even more money at it would just make it...a better funded clown car.

But you know what? A lot of us don't even care because we've moved on. Is there a possibility of having no more 'good' MMOs? I mean, fuck...has there been a good MMO in years? Do you think most of us log online every night while wringing our hands in anticipation of a new mystery MMO announcement? For all we know, no amount of money is going to 'save' the MMO industry.

A lot of us played MMOs relatively hardcore back in the day, largely because we were younger and had the means to do so. Who wants to do that shit now? I enjoy MMOs, but fuck scheduling my life around raid times and playing 40+ hours a week, on top of my full time and part time job. But here you are, whinging about WOW clones.

• 3Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

YttriumF

The Karenist Karen
<Silver Donator>
I am not concerned that the team uses their Realm : Demo area for live streams. I understand that they want to use the zone for demonstrating progress with the back-end systems. An efficient art pipeline, generating and tracking game assets, etc. are all important but wouldn't hit the top of my list yet.

/Team The live stream crew had good communication, humor, and were very passionate about the game. I think it was clear that they enjoyed playing the demo and playing together as a group ... all good signs.

/PvE I love the Aradune, early EQ, light Diku feel of what they are creating. I would much rather play a "speed chess" style of game as opposed to a "muscle memory - console controller - memorize keyboard rotations" finger fest. Modern players will rocket through all static content, so I am curious how the overall design will address this.

/PvP Not discussed in the stream, but I would like to see it in some areas of the game ... where it makes sense and enhances the overall immersion. I like MMO's that allow players to be either "Hero's" or "Heel's" ... much like american professional wrestling. Will absolutely require a robust set of game system metrics to be monitored ... and appropriate Dev intervention when required.

/PvS (Player vs. System) Not clear where the team is at when it comes to DDoS, Ransomware, KYC/AML (Know Your Customer / Anti-Money Laundering), Business Continuity, User Privacy, destructive RMT (Real Money Transactions), etc. I would like to see reassurance that some ... non-zero amount ... of resources are being allocated to these challenges. Not all PvS is detrimental ... "creative" game play should be recognized and rewarded as long as it contributes to the immersion and sense of community. Everybody loves easter eggs and hoarding the discovery of their favorite ... *cough* ... exploit. Again ... robust set of game system metrics here.

/Random Thoughts

Standardize the API for the UI and let the default game client demonstrate basic functionality ... open source and turn it loose so that the community can tweak and tune various windows, borders, fonts, etc. Let the player customize how they want to interact with the game world.

2. The Realm : Demo zone needs to be moved immediately to closed Alpha testing, where invited players can chase evil dwarfs one day a week ... for no more than 3+1 hours a session (3 hours play followed by 1 hour evaluation/documentation/Discord discussion.) Maybe they're already doing this ... but really need to strengthen the weekly feedback/Agile/DevOps workflow.

3. Cohh's Stream had 4,851 views last time I checked.

• 3Like

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
I am not concerned that the team uses their Realm : Demo area for live streams. I understand that they want to use the zone for demonstrating progress with the back-end systems.

Since this game has been in development for 6 years, when do you consider it appropriate to make these things important?

Is it around development year 10? Development year 20?

• 2Like
  • 1Worf

YttriumF

The Karenist Karen
<Silver Donator>
Since this game has been in development for 6 years, when do you consider it appropriate to make these things important?

Is it around development year 10? Development year 20?

I get it ... they're not where they need to be. I just don't think showing off art assets and animations is the best way to measure progress. I want to see some depth and complexity happening.

• 2Like

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Depth and complexity is what has got them so behind in the development and into this funding bind. Weather cycles, millions of classes, all the other needless stuff Brad wanted in. They could have built a simple game, released and added that stuff in later.

They are tiny team, they simply do not have the time or resources to do mass complexity or scale. VR should be streamlining the dev process to get something out the door, not adding more stuff to code in.

That 5k views just shows that there's hardly anyone interested in this game.

• 2Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
No, their absolute joke of a kickstarter got them behind the 8 ball, caused the lack of funding that led to Brad stealing money and the original team leaving, and made all of us here start joking about this joke of a "game"

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
if this showed up on steam under $10 as the normal early play etc thing half of what steam seems to have now.
ya, i'd buy it. I know I wouldnt be alone.
Game play seems to be on par with Project Gorgon if not better graphics.
no monthly.....