Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
1647195872874.png

I mean at this point, any serious studio would pull these artists off that crap and get them working on the multiplayer.

Know what I mean?

200.gif

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
They still haven't explained how the 'infamy' system will work. No instances sounds good in theory until you're sitting around with your guild unable to do the new raid tier until the top guild stops farming it or decides to let you have a few table crumbs. Assuming they're not farming it on alts. Even vanguard had pseudo-instancing in APW where they stacked 6-7 chunks on top of each other so each guild could have their own version.

forehead

Trakanon Raider
No point wasting time trying to get answers about one of their many theoretical systems they've been 'working on' when their most recent 45 minute update video was devoted to the implementation of grass.

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Rael

Golden Knight of the Realm
Maybe different people work on those things and they can be done in parallel

Yes it's perfectly possible to find people who can code who can also do things like class design. ALovingRobot's interviews have shown that people were perfectly capable of doing multiple tasks in the EQ1/2/SWG/Vanguard teams. That's before we even consider the fact that Pantheon's class/spell systems probably aren't largely changed from the D&D->TorilMUD->EQ copy+pasted systems, hardly requiring a dedicated employee/team to focus on them.

And if they are employing people at this stage, while being roughly half a decade behind schedule, who can only do one specific task then that, again, indicates very poor project management. They're not Blizzard who can afford to do employ a guy who just focuses on quests alone.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Artists tend to be very specialized. I think some of the bigger places have people that just rig, that's all they do. I'd lose my will to live within a week.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
They still haven't explained how the 'infamy' system will work. No instances sounds good in theory until you're sitting around with your guild unable to do the new raid tier until the top guild stops farming it or decides to let you have a few table crumbs. Assuming they're not farming it on alts. Even vanguard had pseudo-instancing in APW where they stacked 6-7 chunks on top of each other so each guild could have their own version.
Yeah VG had a good system going for raids. Overland mobs had frequent respawn and lockout timers, so guilds could rotate them. Still some contention from time to time but mostly not. APW instancing was well done.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>

Developers having some fun between hard shifts making this game.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Gents, May I present to you the Song of the Fallen.

Fallen good, fallen great, EQ fanboys can not wait
Fallen good, fallen great, Never once have I doubt McQuaid
Fallen good, fallen great, Perhaps one day I'll join your raid
Fallen good, fallen great, Can you believe it's eight years late?

You're welcome!

• 5Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 6 users

Rael

Golden Knight of the Realm
Ten years of development to make a video announcing a day/night cycle. That looks worse than Vanguard in 2007.

1647456277299.png

Also "there will be flowers that only grow during moonlight" are they taking project management tips from Peter Molyneux? Is this some elaborate performance art to see how far scope-creep can be pushed?

• 2Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I dont really think a flower blooming that pulls data from the server's game time, or, if advanced enough (which I doubt) is pulling lumen data, is going to be considered feature creep. It's just not that hard to code and a junior dev could do it in less than a couple mins. Hell, it could be some EverQuest level of basic and the flower's base not even be there during the day time. Just a set spawn, set despawn object.

The only thing I dont care for in the environment showcase is the the Tree sway. For whatever reason it just looks "jhanky" and unnatural. Getting the tree sway right means theyre having to not only make the sway look natural, but they also have to keep in mind that they have to make the sway appear to be affected by natural wind. Instead of just that vigorous sway in every direction that appears to be happening now. I'd rather they lessen the sway by a large margin and dont touch it again, cause getting Ghost of Tsushima levels of realism in there seems like a tall order. Which even when it storms in that game, the sway is low and the big sway only comes from programmed sway directing you towards things. If it wasnt for Feature Creep, I would say that adding in hidden quests with tree sway would be really cool.

But overall, the environment looks a lot better than it did last time I saw the same zone.

Last edited:

Mr. Sox

Trakanon Raider
i got a few questions i was reading thru the post and have a good working knowledge of the past. On the first post they released the names of the developers on the first page and their twitter accounts. I recognize one of the names as being another name as Ben Dean. He told the community a while back he changed it to Ben Dean cause people could not speak French. Brasse also told me he doesn't respond to emails too. But when you click the link, you see his account as being suspended Which is funny cause he is the Director of Communications. Kind of funny don't you think?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
Ten years of development to make a video announcing a day/night cycle. That looks worse than Vanguard in 2007.

View attachment 403608

Also "there will be flowers that only grow during moonlight" are they taking project management tips from Peter Molyneux? Is this some elaborate performance art to see how far scope-creep can be pushed?
What the fuck? Is a day/night cycle not utterly trivial?