Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
On the flipside, Ut, I dont see any fresh blood pumping out anything of value either. Its all garbage, from new and old alike. So I dont think the problem is purely from the standpoint of "old guard" or "relics".

Someone above mentioned something that has alot to do with it. Are any of these fucks playing mmorpgs of today? Maybe this will go a long way to solving some of the problems. You know, how bout playing some of this garbage for a few months, get a character to cap, start the end game with him, and see how shitty todays experience is, and go from there. Im not taking about spawning some "lv50" character and doing a raid with him. Im taking about actually playing the shit nightly, for a few months. The sad part is, that none of these fucks play. You think Firor, McQuaid or any of these dudes play mmorpgs?

This is why I think WoW stood out from the pack,especially back in the day,( probably not now hence how shitty it is) the devs actually played, some incognito, melded their way into some guild somewhere, and actually played. And saw the problems, issues first hand.

Its like some Auto exec calling shots on cars but never drove one in the past 20 yrs. Or some chef coming up with a new recipe for beef, but never eats beef because hes a vegan.

I feel like I'm the twilight zone right now. Why the fuck do you care what he thinks about some project that hasn't really even started yet? You're probably just as familiar with McQuaid's work as he is. Ut isn't a unicorn with magic fucking powers. Jesus christ.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
I agree with some of the points made about the old guard , money bags and so on.

The outside chance for me is maybe McQuaid got so publicly blasted for his extreme fuck up of handling the Sigil debacle , from missed deadlines to finally the hiding at home while employees were fired in the parking lot , that his ego maybe wants to "prove he can do it right".

Maybe way off though , just a possibility.

Just seems between brad , ponytail , and butler , that currently McQ's the one of the three who actually still is interested in making a good game not for the AOL of mmo's crowd.

And that's a sad statement.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I feel like I'm the twilight zone right now. Why the fuck do you care what he thinks about some project that hasn't really even started yet? You're probably just as familiar with McQuaid's work as he is. Ut isn't a unicorn with magic fucking powers. Jesus christ.
I don't care lol but that doesn't mean I can't engage him. Look past your hate for UT for a second and realize that's all I'm doing.. This is a forum dude. You ask questions and give feedback..I'm asking him a question.. Some people are just so jealous!?

This project isn't just about Brad making a new MMO... It's about him trying to offer something old school with a new flavor(hopefully) and get us moving into a new direction. The game could fail on a vapor level but if it generates a lot of buzz with it's ideas and direction it would still be a positive in my eyes.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
On the flipside, Ut, I dont see any fresh blood pumping out anything of value either. Its all garbage, from new and old alike.
Pretty much. There isn't a whole hell of a lot out there. My only hope is Titan, but after watching what they did to the PC version of Diablo 3, and a stop/start, my guess is we may not even see that come to light.

The sad part is, that none of these fucks play. You think Firor, McQuaid or any of these dudes play mmorpgs?
Yeah that's another issue. They are completely disassociated from what a fun game is. They look at shipping a title and least common denominator development.

Convo:

So you give this project a 0% chance of working out?
Quite honestly, I doubt he will even get it to ship. Depending heavily on how much SOE involvement there is.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just disagree UT. But we will see. at least it's one of the more interesting things to talk about and follow for the next few years. Hopefully he can pick up some quality people for the project. I know there are a lot of SoE and Trion Devs looking..

Titan is still a fucking mystery to me.. None of you guys in the know have spilled it.. At this point what does it matter? It sounds like they are going for a full redesign.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I just disagree UT. But we will see. at least it's one of the more interesting things to talk about and follow for the next few years. Hopefully he can pick up some quality people for the project. I know there are a lot of SoE and Trion Devs looking..

Titan is still a fucking mystery to me.. None of you guys in the know have spilled it.. At this point what does it matter? It sounds like they are going for a full redesign.
Actually from what I am told they are waiting to see how hard EQ Next fails and refine that experience in the new IP. But that's Blizzard for you.

Rhuobhe

N00b
Its a starcraft mmo. Ive been saying it for years.

I believe in the Brad McQuaid project. Its all we've got.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I could not give a wet shit about what Brad starts, you let me know if he actually finishes something this time.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Blizzard is like the worlds Japan. They never invent anything, just refine what's already invented and profit. Not that there is anything wrong with that. And you bet your ass they will make another mmo. The shit is like printing money. Even for shitty companies which made subpar mmos.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Blizzard is like the worlds Japan. They never invent anything, just refine what's already invented and profit. Not that there is anything wrong with that. And you bet your ass they will make another mmo. The shit is like printing money. Even for shitty companies which made subpar mmos.
ITitan will just be WoW 2.0: Take StoryBricks-like NPC (non-combat) AI and Voxel Destruction of EQNext and add real MMO classes and Vanilla WoW (Trinity) Combat. Butler's and EQNext's biggest problem is their desire for everything to be shiny and new so they kicked out the good with the bad. More power to Blizzard for not having the bullshit "not-invented-here" mindset.

As for Brad, as usual Ut is partially right and partially wrong. Ut still fails to acknowledge that while VG was as buggy as a pile of buffalo shit on the plains, it was also the most interesting MMO to release since Vanilla WoW and had, inarguably, the best class system of any MMO. That said, Brad will not ship a new MMO unless he has a baller CEO/Producer to hold his feet to fire and I don't see that happening right now.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
What Brad needs to learn, or should obviously know by now (and if somehow not, PLEASE listen), is that game design means nothing if the engineering talent is not up to task.

The lesson of WoW is not one of great casual game design, of accessibility to the masses, but one of great software engineering talent makes or breaks the game. If WoW had EQ style mechanics, it still would be quite successful. The WoW gameplay engine was designed and developed by an absolutely great team of programmers and technical artists, and the WoW game designers rode the success of those engineers' coattails to the coked up hookers in ferraris: THAT is the difference. THAT quality of engineering must be there, must be present, else your game will fail, no matter how great your design is.

Had Darkfall or Shadowbane had Blizzard engineers, then we would've seen totally different games and releases to success.

Don't hire good engineers, Aradune. Hire great ones.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
You have to remember that Brad didn't really invent many game elements. Half of what made EQ great was already in place in MUDs (grinding, camping, raiding, classes, level time, death penalties, class interdependence, hardly any solo content) and a bigger portion of that other half were often un-intended consequences in game design.

I would actually be much more excited following a new MMORPG in development that hae never been at the head of development before (but has had experience shipping one) than someone who has already headed up development already (once or multiple times). For example, I'd love to see what Scott Hartsman could do if he was in charge from day 1. His two success stories have been rescuing sub-par products like Rift and EQ2.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Ut still fails to acknowledge that while VG was as buggy as a pile of buffalo shit on the plains, it was also the most interesting MMO to release since Vanilla WoW and had, inarguably, the best class system of any MMO.
Having the best class system in any MMORPG (And I am going to counter that point by saying one class stood out far more than anything else in that game, and it was a blood mage - aside from that the class system in VG being the second coming is completely blown out of proportion) doesn't do anyone a bit of good when no one is playing it because everything else fell on it's ass.

I wouldn't know what it is like to remain politically correct to make sure you don't piss off the employees of a game, but the typical replies of "It did this well, and not so much this well", falls on deaf ears when no one is logging in anyway. It will never, in the real world, be an if and that scenario. If I build a house and 5 of the 6 foundations are shit, the house still comes crumbling down because it's shit. And I sure am not going to remember how one of the six foundations did a great job holding up the house for 3.4 seconds while the rest of the thing collapsed.

Sorce

Molten Core Raider
For me, when my friends and I played D&D, it was all about "being" that character. Putting yourself in his (her?) shoes and making decisions based on how you would deal with the given situation. If/when you were lucky enough to get some magical gear and if your DM was good enough to create the scenarios and sessions, you really felt some accomplishment. That is the exact reason I loved EQ when I first played the game. The attachment to the character. Now I admit, a lot of that feeling falls off with age (at least somewhat for me) but maybe that is what some of these talented developers need. I am not saying they all started with Dungeons and Dragons, but if they can go back to their roots that made them love the genre to being with, maybe we could see some changes. Get the talent together with a great DM and have a 6 month long, hardcore D&D/? session. Make them remember what it was like to be a part of that character you are building.

Unfortunately, it seems that this philosophy does not go hand in hand with the mighty dollar sign. I can't blame them for wanting to make the most money out of their product, but until someone does it out of love for what it is, we (the ones that share my line of thinking) will not be able to relive that kind of attachment. I know I am probably regurgitating what I have posted before, but it's pretty clear as to what sets the older generation apart from the newer casual generation. Someone else also posted it here somewhere, regarding the digital age diminishing the imagination kids need to have to play newly created video games. There are and will always be the needles in the hay stacks, which is what keeps some of us playing games at all. But I still hold out hope for another MMORPG to get me and my friends hooked the way I once was.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Well the thing is most people want a game first, then the fluff. What you are describing would require making a world first and then allow playing in it. I doubt anyone that is out for money will put more emphasis on that immersion then they have to.