Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ask about first person. I mean we know they're going to just go with third-person because... well they won't have a good reason, they'll just do it because that's what's done in WoW + since. But at least ask?
Yes, indeed! I would like to know if the game is going to be first person or not.

This is one question I asked Brad during that time he asked us to send him an email with our questions btw. I'm hoping they'd go with FPV but let's get real this is not going to happen. Especially when the engine is out-sourced.

Speaking of which; another question would be what kind of game engine they're using?

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Ask about first person. I mean we know they're going to just go with third-person because... well they won't have a good reason, they'll just do it because that's what's done in WoW + since. But at least ask?
So much this! First Person only is the biggest draw this could have on me, it's a big factor for immersion in the world. Definitely an important question.

Moth_sl

shitlord
Would love first person view + the ability to turn your head without steering your character. Like how WoW allows for left click dragging to swing the camera in 3rd person.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Is the game going to be designed around a first person perspective like eq was? How much instancing will the game have?

That's what I want to know.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I had an instance question in there but in the process of ordering them I cut it and only just realized I didn't put it back. Oh well, someone asked it I'm sure.

Back on the engine, at the very least this pitch will be Unity driven. The guy who did the art updated his Facebook and said something along the lines of learning Unity.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Brad told me to toss him a couple of questions. I've got a list going but if anyone wants to throw something out there and it's decent I can try and throw it in.
What is your ideal target ratio of solo vs group content ?

Of course as much detail as they can provide around this at this early stage would be great. Perhaps this is asking the obvious given the eq/vg flavor but would like to know this.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
A question about solo content: Most here seem to be fine with a certain amount of solo content, but what does that mean to you? Challenging single fights like soloing an elite or veteran mob in the current gen games, or mobs you can plow through in larger numbers? Keep in mind this question talks about solo content not group stuff.

For me, I'd want solo mobs to be challenging enough that grouping up into a duo with someone nearby is an advantage to both of us. If there are weak mobs place them so that I have to deal with some of them at the same time or put some effort into seperating them (because of agro range or social behaviour, not dumb linked mobs).

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
A question about solo content: Most here seem to be fine with a certain amount of solo content, but what does that mean to you? Challenging single fights like soloing an elite or veteran mob in the current gen games, or mobs you can plow through in larger numbers? Keep in mind this question talks about solo content not group stuff.

For me, I'd want solo mobs to be challenging enough that grouping up into a duo with someone nearby is an advantage to both of us. If there are weak mobs place them so that I have to deal with some of them at the same time or put some effort into seperating them (because of agro range or social behaviour, not dumb linked mobs).
Less mobs, more complex encounters. I don't need to be Sauron with the freakin ring on.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I just want to know is the world relevant? In MMO's today, the world isn't relevant. What I liked about EQ, at least in the beginning, you had to travel, you had to sell, you did some quests (bat wings, orc belts, whatever), you had an area for an auction, various areas providing means of leveling, dungeon crawling, or refuge as griffins and/or giants passed by.

It isn't one of my favorite areas but I always look back at the Oasis. People lined up along the coast pulling gators, camping lockjaw, every now and again pulling giants for money and FS. You specters as well and orc camps. The reason I use Oasis is it happens pretty early in the game before you get into dungeon crawling and getting on lists. I want all of this back. I hate that MMO's have taken this away from people. To me, it defines the genre. Brad... I hope you are reading this...

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
is this game going to be loot centric like EQ was (please god say yes)? the rarer, the better. same with rare spawns for said loot.
please at least build the game around first person view. if you can zoom out, fine, but it should be FPV centered.
no more mcdungeons. please hire someone who played PnP DnD and knows how to make a dungeon.
please have class interdependency. fuck all this everyone can do everything and swap out abilities on the fly shit.
death penalties=a must!
make leveling up an enjoyable experience, not just a means to an end.
at max level, have AA's or some other way to continue to advance your character.
make the game PVE centric with PVP servers. that way everyone is happy and no one is forced to do something like may not enjoy.
make quests feel truly epic, not just fed ex bullshit.
can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Fuck it, I'll send a second line of questions out because there are too many good ones here. Maybe he'll hit a few for us.
Time for Draegen to start McQuaid Junkies site ;-)

Also ask about travel generally: mounts early like BG? Jboots? Bard speed. Teleports limited to one or two classes? Boats you can fall off of? Etc..

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
Hoping to see some mounted combat, would like to see this game innovate as well as reinvent the wheel.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
I just want to know is the world relevant? In MMO's today, the world isn't relevant.What I liked about EQ, at least in the beginning, you had to travel, you had to sell, you did some quests (bat wings, orc belts, whatever), you had an area for an auction, various areas providing means of leveling, dungeon crawling, or refuge as griffins and/or giants passed by.

It isn't one of my favorite areas but I always look back at the Oasis. People lined up along the coast pulling gators, camping lockjaw, every now and again pulling giants for money and FS. You specters as well and orc camps. The reason I use Oasis is it happens pretty early in the game before you get into dungeon crawling and getting on lists. I want all of this back. I hate that MMO's have taken this away from people. To me, it defines the genre. Brad... I hope you are reading this...
You must spread some reputation around before adding to Muligan again.

The world actually mattering more than stupid ,voice acted ,cut scenes that have no part in an mmo is what I hope there is a return to.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
The team that I can gather:

Brad McQuaid-- I think we know the history here

Noell Walling-- Worked with SOE for years before moving on to Trion (mobygames)

Tony Vhalen Garcia-- Apparently the EQ lore buff for years, also worked for Trion before going to Brad's new group (old interview here)

Ben de la Durantaye-- PR manager for the new group, worked with Ten Ton Hammer in the past

James Rochelle-- Credited with art on Vanguard, Legends of Norrath, Underfoot and a few more. Currently working with Brad.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I wouldn't read too much into that list, that's just what I gathered from various tweets, etc. The full team will be revealed soon enough.